General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Howdy Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-07 7:44 AM

Subject: Howdy
Hey there. I'm a 28 year-old surgery resident looking to get into this crazy sport. I work about 80-120 hours a week and have a wife and 2 small (< 2 years old) children at home, so life is busy! But we make time for what matters, right? To make things more interesting, I am a type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetic. I have an insulin pump and am pretty well-controlled, so we'll see. My first goal is to train for a sprint distance with the eventual plan of working up to Olympic, and then who knows? Want to be smart and patient with my training, especially in the context of a pretty hectic life at this point. I appreciate any new advice you may have and look forward to getting to know y'all!

Edited by ZofranAggie 2015-06-07 7:45 AM

2015-06-07 1:59 PM
in reply to: ZofranAggie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Howdy
Howdy, and welcome to BT.
There are local forums here, too , where you might find someone local to train with.

Good luck with your new addiction, errr.... journey

2015-06-14 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Welcome to BT and the sport. While I am not a diabetic I am very involved with the ADA. My daughter is a Type 1 and I sit on the exec committee for our local Step Out Walk. Given that you are pursuing the career you are, it is clear you are not letting that control you.

My daughter is a runner. By now I am sure you know the routine. As you start to train more you will learn how your body acts. The best piece of advice I can give you is to keep really good records on what you eat, when you eat and how tour numbers are before and after training. I know you keep some info because you have to but make it comprehensive. Having done that my daughter knows what foods and when are best to get her through a workout.

She managing training better later in the day. One of the guys on our cycling team for Tour de Cure finds he works out better in the morning. You will figure it out.

Good luck and let us know how you are progressing.
2015-06-16 9:06 AM

User image

Welcome to BT! Sounds like you have a busy schedule, but don't we all. One of the biggest sources of friction in my family is making time for everyone to get what they need. My 13 year old is just now getting the fitness bug and it takes a lot of time and energy to keep him moving in the right direction. It will all pay off in the long run as he becomes more self suffcient. But my GF needs her own workouts, I need my own and between us it can be difficult to fit everything in and still have quality family time. We work on finding balance every day and it sounds like you will need to do the same.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Howdy Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

howdy

Started by Bucky
Views: 598 Posts: 5

2004-08-04 2:18 PM usarocks

Howdy from Texas!

Started by jdd7734
Views: 752 Posts: 7

2004-08-01 1:07 AM Sherolyn77

HOWDY FROM TEXAS!