General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ugg First DNF Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-07 11:09 PM

User image

Subject: Ugg First DNF
Well had my first DNF today. I signed up for the Legend 100 (I wanted that giant medal!) I unload my bike the night before and noticed that I packed my training front wheel instead of my race wheel. Good start. Oh well not like that's going to kill me. The race:

The water was pretty choppy. For a 2mile swim I thought I'd easily do under an hour (aiming for 55m). My swimming is a lot better than it was previously. I get in the water and we go and I flipped the hell out. I can't get calm. The people around me and the choppy water means I inhaled a lot of water. I treadled water a lot and I even grabbed onto 3 boats during the swim. I never grabbed onto a boat before..let alone three! The water got a lot better once we turned around and I thought it was ok after that. We had to exit and reenter. 35 mins for lap 1. I thought I would be closer to 30 minutes the 2nd time since I settled down but it was went up to 37. Seeing how my IMWI swim last year was less than 1:15 and I was fighting people for a spot the entire time...something wasn't right at this race for me. I did an local OWS "race" just 2 day before to make sure I'd be ok and I did great there.

Anyway...on to the bike. At transition, I took my sweet time. I knew my 8 hour goal was already jacked up so I didn't care. I thought I'd just average 20 mph and make it a training day. Well 1.5 hours into it I was out of water and see an aid station but it's on the other side of the street. I (incorrectly) assumed there would be another one up again. Nope. It was an out and back loop, so I had nothing to drink for almost an hour. I should mention that temps were close to 85 at this point. I slowed down. I slowed WAY down. I was 40 watts below where I wanted to be for an "easy" day. Once I get back to aid station, I downed an entire bottle there. I then grabbed another and thought everything was going to be ok. Nope. Being dehydrated had already taken its toll. I'm now 60-80 watts before my low Z3 zone I was aiming for. I finish at 4:15 or 4:20 on the bike...about 18mph if I remember right. OK whatever. I want that medal.

I then dismount the bike and the second I do, my leg cramp up instantly. I'm stuck outside of transition for 2 minutes since I can't move. I finally relax enough to walk into transition with my bike. I get my area and see I forgot my hat. The temps are now 92 and sunny (reach mid 90's when I was driving back to hotel). I said screw it and started the run hoping the ice would keep me cool. 4 minutes into it, the cramps are back. I gave up. I couldn't imagine running 17+ miles like this. Not a good day to say least. Dehydration sucks and was probably the reason I cramped up. I'm also not used to the heat yet since May sucked here and it was 50-60's and rained almost everyday instead of being 70-80 like it's supposed to be. I guess I'll live to race another day but sucks when nothing goes right for a race. Have doubts all over the place now.

Sort of a rant story but I guess my first DNF was bound to happen at some point.

2015-06-08 9:01 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ugg First DNF

Sorry to hear about your DNF. Sucks. Seems like a tough day and you know you showed lots of tenacity just getting to the run. 

Sometimes the day just gets the better of you - hard swim, high temps and lack of fluids. They'll get the best of anyone. 

All i can say is make sure you let yourself be whatever you are: mad, sad, frustrated, etc. Then move on figure what best to do for next time. Don't let it beat you into not lining up for your next race.

2015-06-08 9:13 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Everything that went wrong in that race you will remember for a long time. That's good, because you will double check all those possible failures for future races.
2015-06-08 9:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Sucks to DNF, but hopefully you learned some good lessons from the race.  Be able to brush off a bad swim, make sure you know where the aid stations are going to be located, and most definitely bring enough fluids/nutrition with you to get from one to the next.  Once you're behind, you'll be hard pressed to get back on track. 

2015-06-08 9:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

One aid station on the bike?  No special needs?  That'd be a tough 100 mile ride.  No hat in T2?

What is the underlying reason for the "not knowing the course" and "forget essential equipment" errors?  Just plain forgetfulness? I know I do that stuff all the time, so I use a checklist and get all OCD about it.  Or something else like not taking the race seriously enough?  I know I've shown up at a local race thinking "Just a half marathon, how hard could it be", and didn't study the race details and ran into problems. 

How do you plan to come back from this?

Edited by brucemorgan 2015-06-08 9:52 AM
2015-06-08 11:01 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Originally posted by brucemorgan

One aid station on the bike?  No special needs?  That'd be a tough 100 mile ride.  No hat in T2?

What is the underlying reason for the "not knowing the course" and "forget essential equipment" errors?  Just plain forgetfulness? I know I do that stuff all the time, so I use a checklist and get all OCD about it.  Or something else like not taking the race seriously enough?  I know I've shown up at a local race thinking "Just a half marathon, how hard could it be", and didn't study the race details and ran into problems. 

How do you plan to come back from this?

The bike was 80m but the "out and back" for a ~10 mile out and back loop. I saw the aid stations on the map and, like always, they were 10ish miles apart so I just drink whatever I can every 10 miles and grab a replacement. I guess I'll think ahead next time. The hat thing was my fault. I thought it blew away but it ended up being in my car. It must have fallen out and I didn't realize it until T2. I don't think it would have mattered though.

As for what I'll take away.... I guess swimming can suck at times. I'll at least take away the experience of swimming in less than ideal conditions so that next time it won't affect me too much. Nothing I could do about the heat though. I normally start my 4-6 hour bike rides at noon so I get used to the heat. Since this year has been so cold and rainly, that wasn't a possibility yet. I have a HIM this weekend. I planned to treat them as training days but I'll probably do decent at the HIM now that I didn't run 18 miles 6 days before it (yes I recover fast...I PR'ed in a marathon 2 weeks after IMWI).

2015-06-08 12:30 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Thanks for sharing the experience as maybe it will be a lesson to others here. 

As brucemorgan mentioned above, checklists a great. For longer events like this one, or IM,  I'll write them out-- like if there are special needs bags, morning bags etc. For shorter races I just do a mental check list. When setting up transition I go through what I'll need for T1 and T2 in my mind. The hat not being there on a hot day would have been a glaring problem. Running shoes and a hat for T2? Check.

Edited by zed707 2015-06-08 12:44 PM
2015-06-08 1:40 PM

User image

This is a hobby for 99% of us, and it should be fun.  17 miles of cramping in the hot sun doesn't sound like very much fun at all.  Thanks for sharing though.  Will probably make me think a bit harder about the details of aid stations when doing a longer race I am not familiar with.

2015-06-08 2:28 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I find the longer I am on BT the more post I read that sound almost like I am writing my own experience.  

I very nearly had a DNF at my debute Triathlon.

I had a really good swim and despite getting calf cramps about 1500 yards into the 1.2 mile leg, getting disoriented when I stopped to work out the cramps and swimming backwards for a short distance before continuing on, I finished the swim 3 minutes under may goal time.  The bike started out well and I was on pace to beat my goal on the bike by a similar percentage as my swim but got a flat at mile 29 and then a second flat at mile 41.  The second flat was a devastating blow because I only brought one spare tube. I was facing the reality that I may have a DNF.    I really didn't want a DNF.  I was determined to find any way possible to not have to pull out early.  I am a strong runner and after running all the bike cut-off times through my head came up with a crazy idea that I could run the bike the last 15 miles to complete the bike leg.  I only got about 3 miles down the road before the SAG wagon caught up with me.  I got the tire fixed, but sitting on hot asphalt in 90+ deg temperatures and running a bike dehydrates you a lot faster than spinning in you bike saddle with a 20+ MPH air flow to cool you down, so I ran out of water with about 10 miles left in the bike leg.  With out water I started to get cramps in my quads a few miles before I got to the T2.  For the run it was back on the hot Asphalt in 90+ deg temperatures where, despite stopping at every aid station for water and sodium, I got cramps bad enough to stop me from running twice.  

Note:  I have been running for almost 30 years and very rarely ware a hot.  I ware a hat on rainy days because I used to ware glasses and the hat kept my glassed from getting too wet to see through.  I don't like them on fair weather days though.  Hats especially bug me  bug me if you get any wind or are springing down the last 400 meters they can blow off.  Going hat less is just one less thing that I have to think about.  :-)  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-06-08 2:30 PM
2015-06-08 2:29 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I was out there Sunday as well, did the 70.3 distance. Conditions were extremely tough; Choppy swim, windy bike and hot run. I got a flat on the bike so at that point I backed way off the pace and stopped at every bike aid station to refill in a relaxed comfortable mode. The run course was FULL of aid stations with Gatorade, water, gels and ice. Also there were kids all over the place with garden hoses to spray you off as you ran by. I walked a bit on the run, my slowest 13.1 ever.
2015-06-08 3:56 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

While that sounds like a rough day and an unfortunate turn of events, the lessons learned are invaluable.  Thanks for posting about this.  I have a hot HIM coming up on Saturday and this is such a great reminder for me.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ugg First DNF Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First IM first DNF Pages: 1 2

Started by stretchdew
Views: 3935 Posts: 32

2014-09-26 6:36 AM Hot Runner

To DNF or not to DNF...that is the question Pages: 1 2

Started by triturn
Views: 3017 Posts: 37

2008-04-01 8:35 AM pshorty

my first DNF

Started by trish123
Views: 1009 Posts: 17

2006-06-19 7:17 AM summer_2005

My first DNF....ARRGH!!!

Started by bmacmanus
Views: 1226 Posts: 9

2005-10-18 6:43 AM isis54

First Tri -- First DNF

Started by feagajk
Views: 1440 Posts: 14

2005-08-22 1:39 PM Mottyl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.
date : June 7, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 3
Clearing my head after failing to finish

date : February 5, 2010
author : jswayland
comments : 7
On the day of the race my chain jumped off again and got wrapped so tightly around my crank that I couldn’t finish. I DNF'ed my first triathlon.
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
comments : 0
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.