General Discussion Triathlon Talk » when to put wetsuit on before race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-08 7:05 AM

User image

Subject: when to put wetsuit on before race?
How long prior to swim start do i put on the wetsuit that ill be wearing in my upcoming tri? I was somewhat sweaty the 2nd time i put the wetsuit on and it was a hell of alot harder than the first time. Also, will body glide help?
One last question, how do i avoid ripping the suit with my nails? I put a knick in my suit the last time, even though i tried my best to keep my nails tucked .

2015-06-08 7:45 AM
in reply to: interspace8

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: when to put wetsuit on before race?
I usually try and have my wetsuit on about 10min before they shut down T1 and have everybody head to swim start. I do use a lot of glide when putting on wetsuit for a race. I add a lot around arm pits and neck and put some around feet, ankles, and wrists. To prevent rips in my wetsuit I keep my nails as short as possible but I'm a male so it is no big deal for me.
2015-06-08 7:50 AM

User image

New user
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Practice putting your suit on ahead of time. The first time it took me nearly 15 minutes to get my wetsuit on and I still didnt' have it pulled up the whole way. Now it takes about 2 minutes. If it is not too hot, you can put it on about 20 minutes before -- pulled up and fitting properly, zipped up. Once I know it is where it needs to be, I pull the top back down and wait until about 5 minutes before to get back into it. I do use body glide just at my ankles and wrists.

When I'm pulling it up I try to squeeze it between my palms and the bottoms of my fingers (so that my nails aren't touching it). It's a weird motion, but I have avoided making any tears by doing it that way. You can also pinch it between the side of your thumb and pointer finger (like you were squeezing a cheek), but again not fingers. The bigger the clump you grab, it usually has a less tendency to knick.

Also this year I cut about 3 inches off of the arms and legs of the suit -- it has helped with getting things on smoother and much faster transition.
2015-06-08 8:59 AM
in reply to: #5121006

Right after the last pre-race poop. (TMI?) I need to get comfortable in the water before the race starts so I put it on about 10 minutes before the race starts.
2015-06-08 12:03 PM
in reply to: Spartypants

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by Spartypants

Right after the last pre-race poop. (TMI?) I need to get comfortable in the water before the race starts so I put it on about 10 minutes before the race starts.

x2
2015-06-08 12:44 PM
in reply to: Spartypants

User image

Originally posted by Spartypants

WISE idea!!

2015-06-08 1:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

It depends on the weather, access to the water, layout of transition, waves or not...

If it is warm or there is direct sunshine you can get hot very fast.  Direct sunlight will also soften the rubber and make your suit more susceptable to cuts.  I try to keep my suit out of the sun as much as possible.  I have done races that have been cold and folks put their suits on much sooner.

I use a lot of body glide on my arms, shoulders, neck, ankles to make getting it on AND off easier.  I also will wear socks while putting it on as your feet will slide in easier.  I cut my nails short to minimize cuts but if you can't cut your nails you can wear socks or gloves on your hands to help avoid cuts.

Do give yourself enough time to put the suit on properly and move around a bit.  If you have access to the water getting some strokes in is a huge benefit.  I did an IM several years ago and got caught in traffic on the way to the event.  Was pulling my suit on in T1 as my wave was called to the water.  I just got to the waters edge as the gun went off.  Almost missed my wave.  Not something you want to experience.

Edited by popsracer 2015-06-08 1:32 PM
2015-06-08 2:16 PM

User image

Originally posted by interspace8

How long prior to swim start do i put on the wetsuit that ill be wearing in my upcoming tri? I was somewhat sweaty the 2nd time i put the wetsuit on and it was a hell of alot harder than the first time. Also, will body glide help?
One last question, how do i avoid ripping the suit with my nails? I put a knick in my suit the last time, even though i tried my best to keep my nails tucked .

REI has a great how to on this if you look up triathlon race day prep. I body glide my wrists, top of my hands, ankles and top of my feet... You can also you grocery store bags on your hands and feet to slide right in the suit. You may feel silly and get looks but when you are in and they are struggling they may ask to borrow your bags :P. I wouldn't put it on until right before you leave transition as nobody is comfortable in a wetsuit (not me in my xterra anyway).
2015-06-08 10:25 PM

Yeah, I've noticed lots of folks put their suits on way earlier than I think is necessary. I'll walk around with the bottom half on but I don't pull the top half on until it's time to jump in the drink and get a couple strokes in before the start.
2015-06-12 6:17 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Thought I'd mention this as it pertains to wetsuit before race. I prefer jog or bike warm ups so much more than getting into wetsuit and way out into water for warm up swim. Such a process and time consuming. I have had a hard time putting a wetsuit on when warm/hot with sweat involved if I did a bike or run warm up. This has put a damper on the warming process. Find that the most annoying aspect of tri event day so far.
2015-06-13 8:43 PM
in reply to: #5121006

User image

Veteran
The Nation's Frosty Capital
I keep it simple.
I'M done with the Porta pottie
I'm ready to swim warm up.
Suit goes on. 10-15 min before race starts,but I am immediately in the water.
I never walk around in it. Too damn hot. Sweat I need.

2015-06-13 9:18 PM

User image

If it's a cool day, I put it on as soon as I'm done with Johnny.
It helps not to be rushed. I put glide on my heels and wrists which helps when you're taking it off.
When you're pulling it on, pull from the inside. Get the bottom of the leg in, roll it down and pull the inside lining rather than the outside. It eliminates the tears.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » when to put wetsuit on before race? Rss Feed