General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heat acclimation for running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-08 2:24 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Heat acclimation for running
Hello everyone!

Vineman 70.3 is coming up in a bit over a month from now and would like some good pointers about heat acclimation to prepare myself for the half marathon when I get to it. I raced it last year and a combination of tummy problems and lack of consistent heat training pushed me to walk more than I had liked.

My training logs are up to date and I did my first heat acclimation test during my LSD run yesterday and it went pretty well.

May I have some good suggestions please?

Thanks,
Roland

2015-06-08 5:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Heat acclimation for running

I have been working on the same thing.  I think the most important things you learn from running in the heat in preparation for a hot weather race are proper amount of hydration and pacing.  You may develope some physiological adaptations over time running in the heat but over a month or two I think the biggest take away is knowledge.  How much do you need to drink to maintain hydration?  What drinks can you tolerate?  At what rate do you drink to keep from getting bloaty?  How much do you reduce your normal pace to compensate for the heat?  Should you supplement with electolytes?

I've done most of my training at very comfortably cool temperatures but with several weeks to go we've had unusually high temps which I have timed some of my key workouts to be in the heat of the day so I can experiment with pacing and hydration.  I still want to go faster than I should and I know that I do not drink as much as I should but I am making improvements and come race day I hope I have the patience and presence of mind to make the right choices.

At Vineman, you have aid stations at every mile and you have some small hills.  You might want to think about walking through the aid stations so that you are able to drink what you need, get ice, dump some water on your head.  Also think about walking at the hills and running the flats and downhills.  I've done the full there twice and was much, much faster on the run the second time after better managing my run/walk segments. 

Good luck.  Hope they have enough water in the river to swim in.

Edited by popsracer 2015-06-08 5:53 PM
2015-06-08 6:30 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Franklin, TN

I made the mistake of not adjusting my pacing for the heat and hills last weekend.  I ended up walking 4 times in a little 4 mile run.  I wound up 7th in my AG...33 seconds out of 4th and 2:30 out of 3rd...proper pacing would have gotten me close to a podium spot.

2015-06-09 9:03 AM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

I've been looking for an article I read a couple of weeks ago so I could share it but I can't find it now!  I'm doing IM70.3 Buffalo Springs in three weeks (Lubbock!!) and was getting worried about the 70* training days in May.  The article talked about your plasma getting accustomed to moving heat from your core out.  They mentioned that it can take 8 or so workouts in the heat to get acclimated (if I remember correctly).  Suggestion was to dress warmer than you would normally if running in the early morning or at night.  I did this a few times but now that we're in the 90's and my workouts are at 5-6 PM because of my work schedule I'm not sure it made a difference.  But today we're supposed to hit 95*F with a RealFeel of 109* with time to left to train, yippee! 

2015-06-09 9:58 AM

Veteran
Here is a link to information given to the Canadian Olympic Cycling Team in preparation for the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. There's some interesting stuff in it. One thing that caught my eye was the recommendation to not shave the body because the hair will hold the sweat close to the body to aid in evaporative cooling.

http://www.ultrunr.com/heatcanadian.html

2015-06-09 10:27 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Live in FL and normally run in the early morning (5:30AM) to avoid the heat.

When approaching a race, I'll either try do some runs at the same time of day as the race or run in the afternoon heat after work.  

I follow a Galloway run/walk strategy for the half marathon distance (due to some chronic knee and Achilles issues) and will adjust my walk/run ratio depending on conditions.  I try to follow a conservative strategy until I get past  nine miles to put myself in a position to finish strong the 5K .

Also, I find that some of my tech gear works better than others.  I have some shirts that will wick away sweat, but end up feeling like a weight vest when they get damp. 

Mark

2015-06-09 10:31 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

The simplest thing is to do as many of your training runs in the hottest time of the day in the weeks before the race.

Specificity is simple, yet often overlooked.

2015-06-09 3:16 PM

User image

Get out and run in it, honestly. Slow it down just a bit the first few days as your body adjusts. Our temperatures here in KC, MO, just went from low 70s to mid 90s, so it's back to the "adjust to the heat" for me. Drink plenty of fluids, keep your diet clean, plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, etc. It'll come to you, just be patient.
2015-06-09 6:10 PM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

I do most of my running at noon so that it is the hottest part of the day. Train for the worst and then if it happens to be a overcast cool day you will really be able to step out.
2015-06-09 7:22 PM

User image

Pro

Advice:  

1.  Grab an extra cup at each aid station to pour over yourself.

2.  Make sure it's not gatorade.

I've also yelled "splash me" and have had aid workers just toss the water right on me.  they seemed to enjoy that for some reason.  

2015-06-10 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I would suggest doing some of your long runs/bricks at a time of day where temps will be similar so you can get a good idea of how the heat is going to affect pacing plus hydration and nutrition needs. I find that when I'm training/racing in extreme heat, besides the obvious (slow down, especially on the run, need to drink more), I want/can tolerate fewer calories than in more moderate conditions. I think it just becomes a case of so much liquid going into me that there's not as much room for anything else. I'm also pickier about what I eat--a lot of stuff is nauseating and I've had to work hard to find things that aren't at race effort with heat at 90's and above. At any rate in hot weather I'm more likely to err on the side of taking in a bit too few calories than too many--I've never "bonked" so it seems to work okay.

Also (hopefully this won't be an issue for you), I've found that if I am suffering from even a minor illness at or just before the race, my heat tolerance goes way down, even if I stay hydrated. Not sure this is due to medications (antihistamines are known to increase risk of heat illness) or illness itself, but it's something to be aware of if you do manage to catch a cold before the race.

Finally, on the run, anything you can do with ice, water, sponges to get your temperature down is helpful. I have even resorted to sticking my head in a bucket of cold water (with all the sponges) or a roadside fountain and shaking like a dog, eating ice that's fallen on the road, asking random people to spray me with a hose, and stuffing my bra full of ice then taking it out one piece at a time to rub on my face. Just try not to pour Gatorade over your head. (I manage that trick about once a year!)

2015-06-10 11:38 AM
in reply to: trinity

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by trinity

Here is a link to information given to the Canadian Olympic Cycling Team in preparation for the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. There's some interesting stuff in it. One thing that caught my eye was the recommendation to not shave the body because the hair will hold the sweat close to the body to aid in evaporative cooling.

http://www.ultrunr.com/heatcanadian.html

This is a very awesome read! Thank you for sharing it!
2015-06-10 12:10 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I think my heat acclimation LSD run kicked my butt really bad because I had a hard time falling asleep Sunday and Monday night. It might be because a high pressure system moved in early Monday morning and stayed for most of the day and messed up my sleep pattern. Maybe my body was building up some blood plasma, hehe. Last night sleep was great and I'm ready for more heat acclimation practice! :D
2015-06-10 3:29 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
I haven't read any responses to I apologize if I repeat others.

Things to consider:

Do a sweat test to see how much fluid you lose, this will help you understand how much you need.

For acclimation remember heat is a STRESS to the body, when performing hard runs you are adding more external stress. Try your short sessions in the heat, you don need epic long workouts in the heat to acclimate

Keep your body cool during the race and keep the electrolytes going into the body. If they have ice or sponges, put them on key areas to help cool the body, chest, crotch, femoral artery.
2015-06-11 7:51 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I find the sleep difficulty issue is really common after long workouts in the heat, much more so than doing the same workouts in moderate conditions. My guess is that since body temperatures normally drop during sleep (or at night and early morning), anything that elevates core temperature can affect sleep patterns. After a long, hot run or brick in tropical temperatures, if I want to recover properly and get a good night's sleep, the reality is that is pretty much it for the day as far as anything active outdoors is concerned. I try to avoid doing anything beyond absolutely necessary errands, and spend the rest of the day in the AC. Sometimes I even take an early afternoon nap with the fan and AC if I am really feeling beat. If I can get into a cool swimming pool something after the workout, that also helps. I think it's partly a matter of prolonged elevation of one's core temp, and partly the extra energy that training in the heat takes out of you.

Really curious if anyone has developed a metric to add the heat/humidity factor to training stress. I know there are estimates out there about how much one slows down at various temps/heat indexes but I don't find those very useful for training. In terms of fatigue, I feel like training with a heat index over about 90 makes a long workout feel about an hour longer--a one-hour run/ride in those conditions takes as much out of me as 2 hours otherwise, a two-hour run/ride is like three hours, and so on. Plus some workouts such as longer tempo runs are particularly hard to do--I feel like I just get hotter and hotter and can't cool off. Long, steady runs, or shorter intervals with more recovery, are easier to handle.
2015-06-11 8:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
I don't have any supreme wisdom for you, but to echo what other said, get out there and run in it. Start short and slow and build up a bit at a time. You may never be comfortable but you'll have a better idea of what you can handle.

Funny you say this because yesterday was my first run in 90-degree weather. I took it a bit slower and made sure to bring a bottle of Gatorade with me. I still got 8 miles done feeling fine and I feel fine today, so I consider that a success.

I do have one piece of advice for you. I did my first 70.3 last summer and it was HOT by the time of the run. I took a full throwaway bottle of Gatorade with me and I really think this was key to being able to run strong straight through the 13.1. I never fell behind hydrating, didn't have to stop at the first few aid stations, knew that it was a drink I could tolerate in a flavor I liked, etc. I finished if off about mile 7-8 and was fine with water at aid stations for the rest of the race. I was passing a LOT of people by the end which says something because I am not that fast!

2015-06-11 12:38 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
I've been living and training for the past three years in the hottest place in the US (in terms of average yearly temp...including Hawaii, Death Valley and everywhere in between...I just found out that ranking the other day, so I've been dying to bust that one out) We're even 5 degrees hotter than Miami on yearly average down here. I came here from NYC so if it's one thing I've had to learn to deal with is heat. We can't even go out early to avoid it, it stays just about the same temperature 24/7 and only varies around 10 degrees from summer to winter. Anyway, I don't really think you get acclimated to the heat. I think you get two things from training in hot weather; 1. you learn how to best deal with it and 2. you get in better shape. Running in the heat is like running up hill, it takes something out of everyone, there is no growing an immunity to it. So when I train here, especially in the summer, I just run slower than I do anywhere else. In training I just run where my body can handle it and keep a very close watch on warning signs of overheating (stopping sweating, dizziness, etc). During races, when I want to go all out I keep myself completely soaked with water at all times. That means two to three cups of water on your head, arms and especially trunk every stop. This goes for the bike too. Oh, and hydrate like you've never hydrated. When I was doing 100-milers leading up to my IM I would go through 7 x 24 oz bottles of fluid in 5 hours, and there'd be times where I wouldn't pee once in that time.
2015-06-12 12:41 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
This physiological change in core temp sounds right. I'm gonna challenge myself again this Sunday with a mid day LSD run in 85°+F and work on the suggestions everyone has made. Thanks so much! I appreciate all this feedback guys!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heat acclimation for running Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Heat acclimation for cool weather?

Started by ImSore
Views: 969 Posts: 6

2013-11-06 7:08 AM Hot Runner

heat acclimation

Started by mrbeachbum2
Views: 1448 Posts: 9

2013-01-17 9:30 PM Zero2Athlete

heat/altitude acclimation

Started by pace13
Views: 2053 Posts: 18

2015-01-08 1:50 PM glayher

Heat acclimation

Started by TriPatrick
Views: 1016 Posts: 4

2010-06-14 11:09 PM cardenas1

Heat acclimation vs. maximize training

Started by Experior
Views: 942 Posts: 7

2009-08-11 11:29 AM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 31, 2011
author : Curt Chesney
comments : 0
Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat

date : September 17, 2008
author : AMSSM
Heat stress, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke: How do these relate to hydration? Can I be well hydrated and still suffer heat stress?
date : September 8, 2008
author : ValleyCoach.com
Because of potential heat injury and sun damage, there are certain precautions that should be taken. Here are some tips to avoid heat injury.

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?
date : December 11, 2007
I have had chronic Achilles tendonitis problems for a good portion of my life. I am wondering if this can ever go away, or if there is a surgery that can be done?

date : July 3, 2006
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.