General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What would you buy w/ $1000? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-09 9:01 AM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Subject: What would you buy w/ $1000?
What tri related item would you buy with up to $1000? I've been given hints that I might get that for my annual present (we only do one gift too many holidays to keep up with otherwise).

I'm thinking a power meter or a carbon cockpit. Maybe a wahoo kickr but I hate riding on my trainer now so that's probably a bad idea.

2015-06-09 9:11 AM
in reply to: #5121346

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Subject: RE: What would you buy w/ $1000?
I can't figure out how to edit on my phone, but I wanted to add this. I've already had total immersion swim lessons (Gary @ strokedocswim.com if you live around Miami). In my opinion it's the best money you can spend on triathlons once you get the basics. I went from expending a ton of energy on the swim to swimming effortlessly! Even if you don't get any faster, which I highly doubt would happen, you will save a ton of energy for the bike and run.
2015-06-09 9:30 AM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Exton, PA
Don't know what you have, but a carbon cockpit is very low return on investment. Meaning you will not gain much from it.

Aero helmet
Wheels
tires
power meter

Indoor trainer is useful, is yours a fluid trainer? you want a fluid, not a mag, or a wind.
A big help for me was a place to set up my bike on the trainer and leave it through the winter. It's in my basement with a TV. When you don't have to set it up every time, your more likely to use it and you have more time on it.
2015-06-09 9:33 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761

Don't know what you have, but a carbon cockpit is very low return on investment. Meaning you will not gain much from it.

Aero helmet
Wheels
tires
power meter

Indoor trainer is useful, is yours a fluid trainer? you want a fluid, not a mag, or a wind.
A big help for me was a place to set up my bike on the trainer and leave it through the winter. It's in my basement with a TV. When you don't have to set it up every time, your more likely to use it and you have more time on it.

Agreed. I am actually picking up a wahoo kickr so I can spend more time at home with family rather than countless hours at the gym alone.
2015-06-09 9:44 AM
in reply to: #5121350

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Good points. I have an aero helmet and wheels.

I have the kk rock and roll (fluid). I feel like the resistance is either too hard or too easy. I can never seem to find that normal road feel. If I get a power meter I'll be able to ride by power instead of feel on it though. Anyone have a similar experience on it? I was thinking about selling it or trading it for rollers. Good or bad idea? I've been told rollers feel more like the road but you can't push higher watts (don't even really know what that means or if it even matters).
2015-06-09 10:03 AM

nashville, Tennessee
wahoo kickr all day! I made the investment about 3 months ago and it is by far the best investment I've ever made. But...I do 99 % of my riding on the trainer so if that's not you then its not as great of an investment.

2015-06-09 10:14 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Lupy Good points. I have an aero helmet and wheels. I have the kk rock and roll (fluid). I feel like the resistance is either too hard or too easy. I can never seem to find that normal road feel. If I get a power meter I'll be able to ride by power instead of feel on it though. Anyone have a similar experience on it? I was thinking about selling it or trading it for rollers. Good or bad idea? I've been told rollers feel more like the road but you can't push higher watts (don't even really know what that means or if it even matters).
I'm using virtual power on a KK Road Machine, no issue with too hard or easy, as it is what it is based on WO type and my CP/FTP.  If you end up wanting to dump the RnR please let me know, I've been considering one myself.

That said, I'd go with a PM. I so need one now on the road after all my VP training on the trainer.

2015-06-09 10:18 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I would go with a power meter.
2015-06-09 10:27 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mike761 Don't know what you have, but a carbon cockpit is very low return on investment. Meaning you will not gain much from it. Aero helmet Wheels tires power meter Indoor trainer is useful, is yours a fluid trainer? you want a fluid, not a mag, or a wind. A big help for me was a place to set up my bike on the trainer and leave it through the winter. It's in my basement with a TV. When you don't have to set it up every time, your more likely to use it and you have more time on it.

^^^This^^^

Or, a couple months of coaching can work wonders.

2015-06-09 12:58 PM

User image

Post Falls, Idaho
Originally posted by Lupy

Good points. I have an aero helmet and wheels.

I have the kk rock and roll (fluid). I feel like the resistance is either too hard or too easy. I can never seem to find that normal road feel. If I get a power meter I'll be able to ride by power instead of feel on it though. Anyone have a similar experience on it? I was thinking about selling it or trading it for rollers. Good or bad idea? I've been told rollers feel more like the road but you can't push higher watts (don't even really know what that means or if it even matters).

I've had rollers in the past, I think they had value in improving pedaling smoothness and my overall form and I was able to hold a great line once I could finally ride the dumb things . However, now that I have a CompuTrainer it's a MUCH better training tool. The ability to see actual power, cadence, speed and integrate real planned workouts has been invaluable, and I've only had mine for a very short time. It's made riding indoors actually something I look forward to, and it has made me realize how little I was actually pushing myself previously.

So, based on the fact that you already have most of the other high-return equipment purchases, my recommendation is to keep your fluid trainer and get an Ant+ power meter that you can use with PerfPro, TrainerRoad, Zwift, etc and have more value training indoors, but still be able to ride with the PM outside.
2015-06-09 2:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
I will go in a different area.

What about a race somewhere outside your local area? Schedule a race out west. Use the money for hotel, travel and race fee.

2015-06-09 3:03 PM

User image

If your goals are mostly race related, with the focus of increasing speed or improving results...then I would go with...(assuming you don't already have them)

1.  Ensuring you have an optimal bike fit
2.  Race tires and latex tubes
3.  Good fitting race clothing
4.  A disc cover
5.  A power meter...but only if you are willing to use it properly

If your goals are not race oriented...then you can spend the money however you want.  

1.  Keep up with the N+1 rule and get a road, CX, or mountain bike to expand on your riding options
2.  Buy some trail shoes and a camel back to get into hiking and/or trail running
3.  Take a vacation to somewhere you always wanted to race or just train
4.  Buy lots of beer
5.  Buy a new electronic gadget.  Probably won't make you faster...but I find they are always fun.

2015-06-09 8:14 PM

User image

, Massachusetts
I don't have race wheels so that would be my first purchase. But since you already have them, I'd go power meter. I train with virtual power on TrainerRoad and it's by far the best training investment I've made so far. I'd love to be able to race with power as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What would you buy w/ $1000? Rss Feed