General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me. I'm over my head!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-10 2:48 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: Help me. I'm over my head!!!

In August, I am riding 175 miles in two days with 3 novice cyclists.  We have a hotel to stay in Saturday night where we will put a lot of our "stuff".

1) What stuff do we need to bring on the bike? (Beyond the two water bottles, basic nutrition and normal tool/tire/tube stuff).

2) How would you recommend we carry this stuff?

THANKS!

2015-06-10 3:55 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Subject: RE: Help me. I'm over my head!!!

I always carry 2 tubes, 2 CO2, a mini hand pump, lever, mini tool, and a patch kit on every training ride.  Longer rides wouldn't be any different.

For nutrition, I usually don't carry much more than a couple of bars and a couple of gels.  If I plan to ride really long, I just bring a credit card/ID and cash to get some food at convenience stores.  If you're with novice cyclists, I'm assuming there will be multiple rest stops, so you may as well plan them around buying more food.  I can see how a more advanced group might want to keep rolling as much as possible thus the need to carry more of your food on you.

A simple saddle bag and jersey pockets usually does the job.

2015-06-10 4:07 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Exactly what Jason said. And take this as an opportunity to teach your novice friends that cyclists must carry their own "stuff'. Meaning, they should have their own tubes, cartridges, tools, food etc. Put together your list, then send it to them. Title the list something like "Required Essentials" etc.
2015-06-10 4:43 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

I don't think you're in over your head nearly as much as these 3 "novice cyclists" who have committed to 175 miles in two days That could be a sufferfest. 

2015-06-10 5:01 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
also I'd plan ahead and see what resources are available along your route.

water, food mainly.
2015-06-10 9:52 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Originally posted by Jason N

I always carry 2 tubes, 2 CO2, a mini hand pump, lever, mini tool, and a patch kit on every training ride.  Longer rides wouldn't be any different.

For nutrition, I usually don't carry much more than a couple of bars and a couple of gels.  If I plan to ride really long, I just bring a credit card/ID and cash to get some food at convenience stores.  If you're with novice cyclists, I'm assuming there will be multiple rest stops, so you may as well plan them around buying more food.  I can see how a more advanced group might want to keep rolling as much as possible thus the need to carry more of your food on you.

I wouldn't carry that much stuff. There are going to be four of you, one tube, one co2, one lever each should be more than enough. Heck, I don't even bother with a saddle bag, I just use jersey pockets. Maybe a couple gels. If possible, plan the route to pass by a gas station every couple of hours and bring your wallet.

2015-06-11 7:23 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I think what you bring really depends on your route, the weather and how novice these riders are.

I could do (and have) 175 miles with friends just bringing a tube/person some CO2, 2 water bottles, and a credit card for a couple stops.

However if your going up over mountains where it gets cold, long distance with not stores, these riders are an absolute mess and hit every pot hole and piece of glass in the road things change a lot.
2015-06-11 8:20 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Agree it depends on terrain and climate. I've done a lot of bike touring for decades (though usually not that many miles a day) and sometimes it's useful to bring an extra layer like a rain/wind jacket, long-sleeved jersey, or arm/leg warmers if there's a chance the weather could turn cool/rainy at some point on the ride. Not sure how others would do with this but....on longer tours (or rainy season ones) I sometimes just wear tri shorts,or a ti-suit under a jersey, because they dry faster if I get caught in the rain or if want to wash them at night. In my case, this doesn't seem to make any difference in comfort on a road ride. I think I did my entire Sri Lanka tour (500+ rainy miles) in a tri-suit, jersey, and flip flops! And, of course, don't forget the Body Glide! I usually also carry small, travel size tubes of sunscreen and bug spray/cream on the bike for long tours, as this tends to wash off if you get sweaty or otherwise wet. Wet wipes are also good if you will be stopping to eat--they're good at getting random dirt and bike grease off.
2015-06-11 11:32 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Originally posted by ziggie204

I wouldn't carry that much stuff. There are going to be four of you, one tube, one co2, one lever each should be more than enough. Heck, I don't even bother with a saddle bag, I just use jersey pockets. Maybe a couple gels. If possible, plan the route to pass by a gas station every couple of hours and bring your wallet.

I bring that much repair stuff on all training rides...regardless if it is a 45 minute spin or a 8 hour solo ride.  It all fits in my saddle bag and I don't adjust it based on my ride length.  I agree that you don't need that much for each person, but you assume that the group will never be split.  There will be no "I'll meet you at the top of the hill" type negotiations That likely occur on really long rides where some guys feel good and some guys are struggling.

2015-06-11 3:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Originally posted by ziggie204

I bring that much repair stuff on all training rides...regardless if it is a 45 minute spin or a 8 hour solo ride.  It all fits in my saddle bag and I don't adjust it based on my ride length.  I agree that you don't need that much for each person, but you assume that the group will never be split.  There will be no "I'll meet you at the top of the hill" type negotiations That likely occur on really long rides where some guys feel good and some guys are struggling.

It is basically from the far west corner of Maryland to Northern VA.

I had planned to carry, as I always do:

• 2 tubes
  • 2 co2 with adapters
  • Levers
  • Water
  • Nutrition

In addition, I was going to pack

• A tire
  • A lightweight rain jacket

So if I read the crowd, it sounds like no panniers needed?

As to the level of novice, two just bought bikes.  One is up to 40 mile rides and one around 35.  I am in okay shape, but my longest rides to date have been a couple of 65 milers.

We will be on a secondary road, and I plan to make sure that we have at least one gas station / 7-11 / lunch stops / photo op stop every so often.  I don't imagine we will ride for more than 2 hours without a 10 minute stop.

Edited by pga_mike 2015-06-11 3:43 PM
2015-06-11 4:52 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

As far as the level of novice riders, should be interesting. Hopefully it goes great and you all have a blast. But they're barely on track for where I'd want to see them. Personally, I'd want to have a couple of centuries in the bank before a trip like that to make sure I was ready and had fun. Please know that I'm not trying to be a downer, I truly hope it goes great. But when I read "novice" and "2-day 175 miles" I started thinking about things. 

2015-06-11 5:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I agree with your list, plus suncreen/ bug spray/ body glide or chamois cream. And ibuprofen. Things novices won't think they need until they need them.
Honestly, I would ride with panniers on my bike only. I've done a few long-ish rides (40 miles, but on dirt trails and hybrids) with inexperienced cyclists and I always have a pannier with extra water and whatever crap they want to bring. It makes it a little easier on them, and the pace is slow enough that it's not hard on me.
2015-06-11 6:54 PM

User image

I don't think you'll need a spare tire so long as you carry a dollar bill or something that can be used as a boot.  I suppose it's up to you though.  Bug spray, sun block, and most of that other stuff can easily be found at a 7-11 if you really need it.  I mean...you guys are staying over at a hotel for this 2 day ride...I don't think a couple extra bucks here or there is going to break you right?  

One thing I would do is plan to stop often.  I would not advise riding for more than 45 minutes straight without at least a quick stop...even if it's just at a long red light.  Most novice riders do not know how to, or are not comfortable eating and drinking while riding.  They will often wait till one foot is on the ground to do so.  Most are sketchy just trying to take out and put their bottles back in cages let alone reaching in their back pocket for something to eat and being able to properly open and dispose of wrappers.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me. I'm over my head!!! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help me work this out in my head... Pages: 1 2

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 3075 Posts: 42

2015-06-11 5:33 PM Hot Runner

HELP - Need Help Installing a DA Crankarm - I'm at a Loss

Started by TXGreyhoundGuy
Views: 691 Posts: 5

2010-01-16 12:16 AM TXGreyhoundGuy

Running form, head/neck posture help...

Started by crkoester
Views: 1174 Posts: 4

2008-09-07 7:59 PM kenaxford

Gear heads help!

Started by rcberto
Views: 1062 Posts: 21

2008-02-22 8:13 PM sty

Ok, I'm NOT pregnant, just bloated - help!

Started by bikegal
Views: 1150 Posts: 8

2004-05-30 1:34 PM ccollins2
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2014
author : sahm3k
comments : 4
As I entered the transition area, I got body marked. It was, for me, pretty intense. It made it so real...I was doing this! A triathlon!

date : July 14, 2014
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
Is there an ideal head position? The criteria below will give you a general idea of when you know you have found your sweet spot for head position.
date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.