United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 17m 22s
Overall Rank = 5/70
Age Group = Women
Age Group Rank = 1/48
Pre-race routine:

Long day at work hosting the US Green Building Council. Late lunch (HUGE fish and chips) then drove up to the park. Sadly, no time for beer.
Event warmup:

Ran from my car to registration, got bib, did some solid running on the trails, some strides then chatted with some friends/teammates/people I met in line.

One of my training partners was doing this as her first race back post baby.
Run
  • 17m 22s
  • 2.49 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I decided to push out of my comfort zone a little and lead this race from start to finish (if possible.) I prefer to start in the back a little and work my way up but in addition to getting out of my comfort zone, the 4,8 and 12k were all starting at once and I didn't want to get stuck on the single track portions.

So I lined up behind some of our (VERY) fast guys but in front of all the women.

They did a 10 second countdown and we were off!

The first portion was a wide gravel track that was slightly downhill. I pushed hard here, right from the get-go to establish a solid effort. We hit the first corner and I tried not the decelerate at all. As we approached our first hill I tried to stay very even effort wise. I increased cadence a little and motored up the hill, passing a couple of the younger guys. We had one more short downhill and then it was a pretty steady up, although not steep. This is where I feel I run most efficient and I pushed as hard as I could, putting some distance between me and some of the others. While I refused to look back at any point in this race, I could hear the breathing and I used that as my motivation. Which, kind of sounds weird haha.

As we neared the rim trail of the ravine we broke out into the sun for just a minute and I was instantly REALLY hot. We have been experiencing a bit of a heat wave here in Seattle and it was still about 80 degrees. My number was pinned to my shirt so I didn't have the option to take my shirt off. Luckily we dipped back down into the forest a few seconds later where it was slightly cooler and certainly less exposed to the direct sun. We made a turn onto the wider trail and made a long descent. I have been working on my descending and felt I did quite well but I could hear a few taking advantage and closing the gap on me.

Just as I was able to see someone approaching in my peripheral, we made a hard turn uphill and I was able to leverage my strength and motor up. This was about the point in the race where I was starting to struggle to maintain the intensity but it was also the most important time to stay committed and focused.

I dug in and just kept moving my legs. I could have sworn I heard someone approaching so I even accelerated up and over the hill and through the next descent.

We descended a very narrow trail that was quite overgrown. I ducked a blackberry bush the broke out into an open field before turning down onto the one asphalt section. This was only about 50' long and then we turned back onto the gravel for the finish.

Up to this point I felt as though I could be overtaken at any point and was pretty much running scared. Again, I didn't allow myself to look back at all. I pushed hard through the finish and broke the tape for the overall women's win.

Only then did I look back and realize there wasn't another woman for another 20-30 seconds.

I don't love to do it but the run scared method seems to really push the pace :)
What would you do differently?:

Keep working on the downhill running
Post race
Warm down:

Ran a little, ate a hot dog, ran some more, ate some watermelon, cheered some finishers on and went to the award ceremony

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still working on downhill running, no taper (but this was like, a D race) maybe run in just sports bra for that kind of heat (place bib on shorts instead)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-05-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:22 | 02.49 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/48
Overall: 5/70
Performance: Average
Course: All on trail, mostly single track except for the descents. Basically down into the ravine, back up out of the ravine, back down the ravine and back up :)
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-06-11 11:56 AM

User image

Seattle
Subject: RAVENNA RUN THE RAVINE

2015-06-11 12:29 PM
in reply to: #5121935

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: RAVENNA RUN THE RAVINE

Beautiful!!! I am impressed by your willingness to work outside of the comfort zone, to push yourself and to strive to improve. Really cool to see you take on another race strategy as well. It is always beneficial to have multiple tools in your tool box, and your strategy tool box seems to be growing.

Congrats on the #1 finish!!!!

2015-06-11 1:33 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Wow!  Tough effort!  Great writing too!  I could feel you "running scared" before you used that term at the end.  Whew!

Love the trail photo especially!

2015-06-11 7:16 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Running scared, I love it!  Well done!

2015-06-11 9:18 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Great race (and write up!) as always, Salty. A number of years ago I went to a running workshop in Michigan put on by the Hanson brothers. It was all about race pacing and strategy. it stuck with me as they presented a very good case for why it is best in a race up to 10k to run a positive split "fade" strategy (unless you are on a track where tactics come much more in to play). The data they shared showed you physiologically just didn't have the space to make up for a soft start and negative split. I have always figured this was exacerbated in trail runs where if you spent too much time in the sort-out you never could get to the front.  I do agree that running from the back and catching people feels better as the race is going on, but while running scared feels down-right awful during the race, there is nothing like not getting caught once the race is over. I enjoy racing more from the back, but I do better from the front.

What was going on with the the USGBC in your office today?

2015-06-12 6:08 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Awesome job!

maybe in training you should use a bear to chase you or something with sharp teeth - you know, to practice running scared

(I think it would work for me!)

2015-06-12 11:55 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Congrats on the win!!!! The trail is beautiful! Of course you look good too! Great strategy and implementation.

Oiselle is coming out with some really cute sport bras that look too nice to cover up!

2015-06-15 12:05 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by TankBoy

Great race (and write up!) as always, Salty. A number of years ago I went to a running workshop in Michigan put on by the Hanson brothers. It was all about race pacing and strategy. it stuck with me as they presented a very good case for why it is best in a race up to 10k to run a positive split "fade" strategy (unless you are on a track where tactics come much more in to play). The data they shared showed you physiologically just didn't have the space to make up for a soft start and negative split. I have always figured this was exacerbated in trail runs where if you spent too much time in the sort-out you never could get to the front.  I do agree that running from the back and catching people feels better as the race is going on, but while running scared feels down-right awful during the race, there is nothing like not getting caught once the race is over. I enjoy racing more from the back, but I do better from the front.

What was going on with the the USGBC in your office today?

Really interesting comments about the positive split. I have definitely head that and considered it. You have to really understand what you are capable of so as to not dig a hole that is too deep but if you can, I agree that it's the best strategy. You definitely see this in cross country where you really need to get out of traffic if you think you can win the race.

2015-06-15 1:55 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Fish and chips!  Fish and chips!  Way to go, leading post to post, tape to tape, whatever you want to say, it was an excellent effort!  It looks like a very beautiful area.  Congrats, oh speedy one!

2015-06-16 1:12 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Great job and congrats on another fine effort.  It has also been my experience that being the hunted rather than the hunter provides a little more adrenaline.  My best races have been overpositioning myself and then hanging on for the ride.  Can be more risk though.

2015-06-17 2:15 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Denver, CO

Woooooot on the bling and fantastic execution!!  Running in the sun can be brutal, especially when you're coming out of the shade.  You clearly didn't let it slow you down, though.  In fact, I'm not sure anything could have slowed you down in this one!   Love how the other racers' breathing motivated you to go faster.  So awesome!!

2015-06-17 4:16 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Another great race and another great RR from Salty.  Running Scared was a great movie, also.  :-)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RAVENNA RUN THE RAVINE Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Oasis ZooRun 10k Run, 5k Run/Walk & Cub Run

Started by ptri
Views: 1527 Posts: 1

2010-10-17 12:58 PM ptri

Keep L.A. Running 5k Run/Walk, 10k Run & 10 and 20 Mile Coastal Bike Cruise

Started by fatoldtrailrunner
Views: 1210 Posts: 1

2010-07-11 6:20 PM fatoldtrailrunner

Oasis ZooRun 10k Run, 5k Run/Walk & Cub Run

Started by richtherunner
Views: 1556 Posts: 1

2009-10-17 12:01 PM richtherunner

miners ravine fun run

Started by adtillery21
Views: 581 Posts: 1

2009-04-09 2:16 AM adtillery21

SPRING RUN OFF 10K Run & 3K Fun Run/Walk

Started by Robb
Views: 1486 Posts: 1

2007-04-28 1:03 PM Robb
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries
date : October 4, 2011
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : July 28, 2011
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : February 11, 2009
At 30 to 40 minutes into my run, my foot starts to go numb. If I keep going, the foot goes totally numb.
date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation