General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do I keep getting sick? Tips Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-11 3:59 PM

Subject: Why do I keep getting sick? Tips
I ran triathlons in my 30s. In my 40s trying to ramp up my training, but it never fails the past few years. Every time I train, about two weeks in I catch a cold. I don't feel like I'm overworking myself. Is it diet? Recovery? Anyone topple a similar recurring issue?

2015-06-11 9:33 PM
in reply to: KevinthePRF

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Why do I keep getting sick? Tips

Could be a combo of diet and recovery. Training is taxing on your body and does bring your immune system down. I frequently get sick if I'm training a lot, so I just try to be extra careful about washing my hands a lot, drinking plenty of water, etc. Make sure you're getting all your vitamins!

2015-06-12 6:50 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I battled this a lot when I was younger. I think some of the keys are getting adequate recovery (especially sleep--an athlete ramping up training probably needs eight, if not more, hours a night, which is a lot more than most people get), diet (plenty of fruits and veggies, protein and healthy fats, minimize sugar intake), good health habits such as washing hands before eating and touching your face, and trying to stay away from sick people and crowded indoor places when your immune system might be down after a long workout or race. What seemed to really help for me was the nutrition part--while I've always been a fruit and veggie fan, I tended to eat a lot of carbs, but not enough fat and protein, until I consulted a nutritionist over a couple of issues (one of which was continually getting sick with colds and flu) in my mid 20's. Horrible to say, but I've gotten sick a lot less since I gave up being a vegetarian. Eating some lean meat or fish several times a week just seems to work better for my body.

Since then I've been much healthier, but I do have an unfortunate tendency to get sick when I back off training during taper, despite following all my own advice most of the time!
2015-06-12 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Ease into the buildup more slowly.  Take more rest days during the early stages of the buildup.  And as noted above, rest/recovery, esp. adequate sleep.

2015-06-12 9:26 AM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by SevenZulu

Ease into the buildup more slowly.  Take more rest days during the early stages of the buildup.  And as noted above, rest/recovery, esp. adequate sleep.

^^^^ This- you are probably ramping up too fast
2015-06-12 10:14 AM

Scottsdale, AZ
For me the formula to stay healthy is:

REST
proper diet - low sugar, low inflammatory foods, no gluten, lots of protein, healthy fats, veges and plenty of water
REST
proper training - don't do too much too quick
REST
I always take a rest day every week for both a physical and mental break
REST
Honestly, If I don't get enough sleep, I will get sick. I prioritize my sleep and guard it with my life. Once my kids go to bed at 8, I'm headed there soon after. Cuts down on the amount of socializing I get to do (esp during the week) but I know that after a couple nights of 6 or less hours of sleep, I will be hurting and will pay for it with a cold. I get up between 4-5 every day to train so NEED to get to bed early to get at least 7-8 hours/night.
And I wash my hands often - sounds silly but really does work!

Hope you feel better!

2015-06-12 12:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by SevenZulu

^^^^ This- you are probably ramping up too fast

x3.

Think of training as medicine.  Every time you do a training session, you're taking a "dose" of training stress.  Your body can only adapt to the training stress so quickly("absorb the medicine") .  Stress of any type compromises our immune system.  Training stress is no different.  Too much training stress too quickly, and the result is your immune system has been weakened to the point that it can't fight off the cold viruses that are around us all the time.  This point varies from person to person.

If you use a tool to estimate training stress and recovery, like TrainingPeaks Performance Management Chart, you can learn where your personal limits for build rate are, and apply as much stress as possible while reducing those colds that cut into your progress.  For example, using the PMC, it calculates something called Training Stress Balance that is a representation of how fatigued an athlete is.  A negative number means that the athlete is fatigued (gaining fitness), and a positive number means they are fresh (losing fitness).  For most people, too much time with a TSB in the range of -20 will result in illness, but I've

ETA:  As a side note, this is also why many people will get a cold a few days after long course races, especially if they went into the race with the minimum amount of training, then raced hard. 

Edited by TriMyBest 2015-06-12 12:29 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do I keep getting sick? Tips Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Getting sick after HM race - why?

Started by ironbaby
Views: 884 Posts: 6

2013-11-20 6:35 AM KathyG

Keep getting sick/hurt; how do I keep motivated?

Started by djake80
Views: 823 Posts: 4

2012-07-18 3:55 PM spudone

How Do You Keep Yourself From Getting Sick With High Training Hours

Started by ENP
Views: 1146 Posts: 10

2009-11-23 5:00 PM rottieguy

Sick of getting fat!!!

Started by maddog62
Views: 1883 Posts: 13

2008-01-11 4:41 PM SevenZulu

Getting sick more often...