General Discussion Race Reports! » Keuka Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Keuka Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Penn Yan, New York
United States
Score This
67F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 5s
Overall Rank = 35/61
Age Group = 65-69 F
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

The race is held at Keuka College, and I decided to stay overnight in the dorm instead of having to leave my house before 4 AM. This also allowed me to visit a good friend who lives en route, and to take an afternoon swim in the lake to check out the water temp (about 63, not too bad). Had a great supper on campus & met a few other athletes.
However, I slept very badly in the dorm, about 3 hours, and that with the help of 1/2 dose of Ambien, which I have just managed to get off of. I should have taken more.
Up at 4:30, I made my breakfast of oatmeal/yogurt/raisins and 1 1/2 cup half-decaf coffee. I should have brought more coffee. I was tired from beginning to end.
I also had 1/2 Hammer bar at 6:30 and caffeinated gel at 8:00.
Event warmup:

Got to transition at 5:30; got set up & body-marked. Started bike warm-up at about 6:00 for 15 minutes. Basically just checking out the equipment and scoping out the beginning & end of the course to plan where to get my feet in & out of the shoes. It was about 45 degrees and my hands were very cold. (Thank goodness it warmed up considerably before the race start.)
After reracking my bike, I returned to the dorm & did my Cannonball warm-up in comfort; then ran easy for about 10 minutes plus 4 accelerations.

Swim
  • 19m 36s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

As I watched the earlier waves start, I could see how the wind & current were pushing the swimmers to the left, inside what would be the bouy line if there were a line. Therefore, I positioned myself more to the middle of the group. It's hard to tell how much I got pushed over, some but not too badly I think.
On the long leg, we were advantaged by the wind, but the angle of the chop & the sun made it only feasible to breathe to the left, which is my weaker side. Good thing I work on that side a lot, so it wasn't a problem. My sighting was pretty good. After the short far leg, the return was medium-long and against the wind/current; however breathing to my stronger right side was advantageous. I think this was the best part of my entire race. I was really in a zone, relaxed, strong, & confident. I even passed some other swimmers.
The group was very small, only about 30 swimmers, and I didn't catch many opportunities to draft. The whole swim felt very good, and my time when I exited the water was 17:07, a big improvement on my previous best of 18:30 at CLT. I had yet to trot up the 29 steps & across the road to the timing mat, though.
My swim time was in the 34th %ile of all females
What would you do differently?:

Although there is a penalty for removing any part of your wetsuit while on the steps (safety), it would be smarter to get it unzipped before reaching them. When I rehearsed the race in my mind in advance, I omitted the small details like this.
And if I drop my earplug on the steps again, or anywhere, DO NOT stop to pick it up.

Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

I was a little discombobulated by the "no stripping on steps" rule, and still had one arm in the wetsuit when I arrived at my bike. The rest went fine.
My transition time was in the 84th %ile of all women, so not too bad.

Focus on those details more in my mental rehearsals.
Bike
  • 51m 8s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 16.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I had been looking forward to using my new Garmin 310xt, even though my Power Tap isn't installed yet. Surprise! When I took it out in the morning the battery was mostly discharged, even though I had fully charged it & powered it off before I packed it. I had brought my Polar watch & sensors for back-up, so I just put them on instead. However, although it had worked perfectly during my equipment check/warm-up, it also failed in its own ideosyncratic way. It didn't pick up my HR until mile 7, and not the gps until mile 10.
I have to admit, when I realized I was riding data-free (except for the faithful Cateye, reporting cadence, distance & speed), I rode by feel and enjoyed myself. Not having to look at my monitors, I could admire the gorgeous scenery a bit more. I must have passed about 20 other cyclists and that required a lot of attention since I had to yell at many of them to move to the right to give me room. My performance was probably hurt a bit by the lack of gizmos, but I had a really good time.
Nutrition: 2 Perpetuem solids & 1 water bottle. Still hard to drink out of the rear bottle.
Time was at 48th %ile of all women.

My wheel is being rebuilt this week with the Power Tap, so I'll have plenty of time to integrate it into my training. I'll charge the Garmin until the last possible minute & bring the charger along as well!
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

I forgot to grab the gps unit from the bike so I had to run without it.
Time was at 57th %ile among all women.

If I'm using the Garmin, the gps is in the unit, so I won't have to remember to grab it. That's a plus.
Run
  • 31m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m  min/mile
Comments:

I suffered more on the run than on the bike from the lack of any data to monitor. By this time I had lost all sense of perceiving my rate of exertion. I thought I might be running too easy, but I was unsure & didn't want to go too hard too early. I also couldn't pinpoint that 2.6-mile point at which I like to start pouring it on.
I might add that due to recovering from my hamstring injuries, I have done no tempo runs for the last 8 weeks, just easy runs & brief accelerations. The good thing is that the race didn't aggravate the hams or any part of my legs, so I'm clear to train with more intensity.
Nutrition: 1 gel plus most of the small water bottle.

Ride the run course on my bike warm-up so I can identify that acceleration point.
I could try doing some tempo runs in training without looking at my watch to try to get a better feel for RPE (although everything feels different in a race.)
Post race
Warm down:

I intended to cool down & stretch, but I was just too tired & didn't. I had some Recoverite & half a recovery bar & walked around, then changed my clothes & ate a big delicious lunch. Unfortunately, then I had to sit around in the sun for an hour to collect my award. I should have used the time to stretch at least.
Then I drove home & took a nap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I went into this race tired and with a bit of a bad attitude. I was cranky about everything I had to pack for the dorm stay, was anxious about the water temperature, and was doing it only as a tune-up event and to get my 3 races for USAT ranking.

Event comments:

This race has a younger, more dedicated group of competitors then the races later in the summer. (57% of the women were under 40!). It's early in the season, and everyone knows the water will be cold. It isn't their only race of the year, just their first. It's no surprise that my percentile rankings were a bit lower than at last year's CLT. I'm very happy, though, with my total time, which was almost a minute faster than my most optimistic goal.
All the gizmo failures changed the experience considerably: it was possibly a little less high-performance but more enjoyable. I should consider doing this deliberately once a year.
Note: this event has the best post-race food anywhere. It's in the college dining hall; the food is plentiful, fresh, varied, & delicious!

Last updated: 2015-05-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:36 | 820 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 40/61
Performance: Good
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: Trapezoidal. The 1st leg had a moderately strong crosswind; the longest 2nd leg had the wind/current at our backs; the very short 3rd leg had the crosswind; on the 4th leg, moderately long, we were swimming into the wind.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:27
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:51:08 | 13.8 miles | 16.19 mile/hr
Overall: 32/61
Wind: Some
Course: Some of it was on secondary roads, but the majority was on a pretty busy (2-lane) highway. The shoulders were wide enough for passing.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:00 | 03.1 miles | 10m  min/mile
Overall: 42/61
Performance: Average
HR monitor, although it had been working by the end of the bike, was going bonkers again, so I had no data.
Course: Pretty flat, paved narrow road with lake views. Very beautiful
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-06-11 6:20 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: Keuka Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

2015-06-14 7:50 PM
in reply to: #5122033

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Keuka Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Well done in spite f gadgetry that went crazy!  Nicely managed.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Keuka Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Keuka Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by lextek
Views: 795 Posts: 1

2013-08-04 7:07 AM lextek

Keuka Lake Triathlon - Intermediate Course

Started by jhrunning
Views: 794 Posts: 1

2013-06-12 7:50 AM jhrunning

Started by mollypocket
Views: 936 Posts: 1

2013-06-07 2:55 PM mollypocket

Keuka Lake Triathlon - Intermediate Course

Started by sbradley11
Views: 1078 Posts: 1

2013-06-04 6:46 AM sbradley11

Started by mramateur
Views: 1085 Posts: 2

2012-06-04 12:59 PM dexter
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.