2015-06-15 5:56 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Humbling First Full IM
Originally posted by 3mar

Originally posted by marcag

I actually did have a good coach for the IM but had to stop using him for now. I dropped a lot of money up to and including the IM so I'm backing off and that was something that had to go.

Understood. But you need a power meter :-)

That kind of talk can land a man in trouble.

Explain it this way

"If I don't have a PM I will have to train 24hours a week. With a PM I only need to train 20 because it's so much more efficient. That's 4 more hours I can spend with you. I am buying this PM so I can be with you".

How can she deny that logic ?

2015-06-15 7:22 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Katy, Texas

I actually did have a good coach for the IM but had to stop using him for now. I dropped a lot of money up to and including the IM so I'm backing off and that was something that had to go.

Understood. But you need a power meter :-)

That kind of talk can land a man in trouble.

Explain it this way

"If I don't have a PM I will have to train 24hours a week. With a PM I only need to train 20 because it's so much more efficient. That's 4 more hours I can spend with you. I am buying this PM so I can be with you".

How can she deny that logic ?

Somehow I don't think that would work. Anyway, lately every time I buy myself something, I have to buy her something too. My carbon wheelset cost me a new dining room set. Every time I buy anything small, she gets a new pair of wildly colorful compression socks at $40 a pop (she's a runner). Or new shoes, etc. So I have to double the price of anything I buy. I'm assuming that a PM would cost me a brand new Garmin for the wife. This is how people end up homeless.
2015-06-15 7:48 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Considering how long you've been in the sport, that is an amazing finish. I am hoping for sub 13 hour mark for IMAZ (much easier course) with about 6 months of training after just a couple shorter IM's and Olys.
2015-06-15 9:13 AM
in reply to: 3mar

I know from above that you're not in the budget to drop $$$ now or anytime soon, but if your circumstances do change in the future, and you do want a bike solution to hills that actually feels and trains just like real hills, the Wahoo Kickr does excellent hillclimb simulations. It's different from a fluid trainer, in that while you can train 400+watts on a fluid trainer if you're strong enough, you'll still require a fast cadence since fluid trainers mimic flat roads. 

On the Kickr, it'll really pump on the resistance on the pedals if you set it to mimic up to 15% hills, such that you will be indeed granny gearing your bike and still be at <60 cadence on the steepest of the climbs while throwing down 350+ watts. I did almost all my bike training on a Kickr with simulated hillclimbs for 6 months over the winter, and was pleasantly surprised to see zero problems in tackling very hilly local climbs, and some of these hills had 21% inclines - it felt exactly like the hill simulations on the Kickr.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Humbling First Full IM Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

First Full IM questions - gear bags

Started by red66stang
Views: 1280 Posts: 5

2013-11-16 8:43 AM GMAN 19030

First Ride 15MPH Avg - I'm Way Humbled!

Started by Hilltopper1972
Views: 1585 Posts: 10

2012-09-04 11:33 AM mattramirez

First IM - IM Mont Tremblant or IM Florida?

Started by firemedic001918
Views: 2547 Posts: 11

2014-07-28 10:47 AM KSH

Advice for my first mass (full IM) swim start

Started by JHIMAZ
Views: 1747 Posts: 14

2011-08-31 3:49 PM JHIMAZ

Starting new job after first full IM

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 1234 Posts: 11

2009-11-10 12:10 AM AdventureBear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.
date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.

date : October 24, 2005
comments : 3
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 3:00-4:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
Here are the top 5 challenges in learning how to breathe in freestyle, along with the remedies on how to get over theme. Includes a 2250yard/meter workout.

date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.