General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Start of a Long Journey Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-17 11:51 AM

Austin, TX
Subject: Start of a Long Journey
Well, after a 6 year history of watching/waiting/lurking around Triathalon sports, I've finally signed up for one! A few weeks ago I signed up for an Atanta area race (Blue Sky Sport's Tri the Parks Series) and I am surfacing here to help organize myself.

About me: I have a long sports history in swimming, basketball, volleyball, and lately I've picked up soccer, biking, and running. A few years ago I began some cardio and long distance training. Last year I ran a half marathon without really training for it (I picked up the last half of the Atlanta marathon and ran with my father-in-law). I like swimming and biking, and don't mind long, lonely training hours.

About my inspiration: I've always thought about doing a triathalon ever since my father in law (Marcos Alegre) got involved about 6 years ago. He qualified for Kona World Championships by coming in second in his age group in the Panama City Half Ironman. He eventually went to Kona to compete a total of 4 times, and he ended up winning his age group twice! So there you have it, I'm married to the daughter of a world champion Ironman.

My goals for this race are:
1) to finish under 2:30 (1k swim, 35k bike, 10k run)
2) to set a baseline for future races
3) to see how "triathlon" fits into my life

So maybe my triathalon challenge is a little unique: I'm battling to not just finish a triathlon but to rise above a mediocre performance, and to get off my butt and DO some of the things I've been watching and admiring from the sidelines for so long.

Quentin

2004-07-17 2:00 PM
in reply to: #38260

Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Start of a Long Journey
qneill - 2004-07-17 11:51 AM

Well, after a 6 year history of watching/waiting/lurking around Triathalon sports

Oops, I guess I mispelled Triathlon several times. Looks like I'm more of a newbie than I thought
2004-07-17 4:39 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Welcome!  Good luck in that race - you'll do great.  It's good that you have goals written out already.  Best of luck in your training!
2004-07-17 5:36 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the T-Spot!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Start of a Long Journey Rss Feed