General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Would you forego wetsuit in sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-06-16 1:39 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Would you forego wetsuit in sprint

I have cramped in the bathtub when I can't stretch my legs out.....no wetsuit.

2015-06-16 1:42 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Left Brain

Just how many people are in your tub with you that there's not room to stretch out?!!!  

2015-06-16 1:44 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Just how many people are in your tub with you that there's not room to stretch out?!!!  

I had to sit up first....but I couldn't....because I was cramping.....I damn near drown. 

2015-06-16 2:10 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

I had to sit up first....but I couldn't....because I was cramping.....I damn near drown. 

Nothing new on bath day dude.

2015-06-16 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by ChrisM

Nothing new on bath day dude.

not enough bath salts, you need more to avoid cramping in hot water.

2015-06-16 4:32 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by mike761

If indeed the wetsuit is causing cramping, I would guess it' is too tight in some areas. possibly restricting some blood flow? Maybe try different brands of wet suit as they all fit a little different.

This seems plausible to me as well. I've only tried the one wetsuit brand and others may fit me better.

Didn't mean to cause confusion before about sounding like the OP - just had a similar experience as the OP and since it's the internet I couldn't resist throwing my money in the jar!

2015-06-16 4:47 PM
in reply to: CycloneVM

User image

Originally posted by CycloneVM
Originally posted by mike761 If indeed the wetsuit is causing cramping, I would guess it' is too tight in some areas. possibly restricting some blood flow? Maybe try different brands of wet suit as they all fit a little different.
This seems plausible to me as well. I've only tried the one wetsuit brand and others may fit me better. Didn't mean to cause confusion before about sounding like the OP - just had a similar experience as the OP and since it's the internet I couldn't resist throwing my money in the jar!

On the interwebz everyone gets a say!     Just curious as to why the OP hasn't answered....

As to fit, perhaps if you're a track rider or ex body builder with huge thighs relative to your build, and assuming a relatively normal body type, I have a hard time seeing fit in the thigh - without other areas being too tight-- causing this.

2015-06-16 5:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by CycloneVM
Originally posted by mike761 If indeed the wetsuit is causing cramping, I would guess it' is too tight in some areas. possibly restricting some blood flow? Maybe try different brands of wet suit as they all fit a little different.
This seems plausible to me as well. I've only tried the one wetsuit brand and others may fit me better. Didn't mean to cause confusion before about sounding like the OP - just had a similar experience as the OP and since it's the internet I couldn't resist throwing my money in the jar!

On the interwebz everyone gets a say!     Just curious as to why the OP hasn't answered....

As to fit, perhaps if you're a track rider or ex body builder with huge thighs relative to your build, and assuming a relatively normal body type, I have a hard time seeing fit in the thigh - without other areas being too tight-- causing this.

Being a baseball catcher for 13 years did make my thighs an abnormal proportion to the rest of my body. I definitely have to buy the "relaxed" jean cuts because the others I can't get my thighs into. No offense to the ladies, but man did that make me sound like a woman
2015-06-24 10:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Hey folks, thanks for the replies. Been in Vermont catering to my brother who crashed in the Gran Fondo (during the Lincoln Gap segment which is over a mile @ 24% on the descent, crazy) Shattered the left clavicle into 4 pieces. We live in NYC, but Vermont Orthos and surgeons treated him well. Reconstruction expected to be a success except for some potential minor nerve tingling or numbness in the area.

Anywho, I respect so many experienced opinions here. Let me clarify; it's not that I hate a wetsuit, I mean, I DO FEEL the buoyancy and it shows in time and effort. What I have been thinking (and I see Cyclone brought it up) is that fit and constriction could be the issue. I know it was mentioned as to why I'd dismiss all other criteria that could cause the cramping. It has been because I've 'troubleshooted' it down. Intensity, effort, distance, weather, sodium intake etc. For years since bodybuilding I have always contended with lower body wear that is too tight in the thighs and glutes areas and when trying to get larger fit in that region have issue with waist being too large. I have 3 tears in this wetsuit and they are all in the thigh area. That makes sense because that is where I struggle to get it up and comfortable. Unfortunately, cost of wetsuits and frequency of use make it highly unlikely I am dropping another 3-400 on another suit.

For those that wondered, the cramps start to creep up after about 20 + minutes IN the suit. Hopefully a non-issue in sprint events

Sorry again for being MIA, it was a scary call to hear your brother went down in a crash

Edited by TJHammer 2015-06-24 10:24 PM
2015-06-25 7:54 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Hope your brother has a speedy recovery.
2015-06-25 8:09 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
As a Florida resident there just aren't that many swims that are wetsuit legal. I think I wore mine once in a sprint, and I really don't think it advantaged me to do so. The Oly's that I have done , however, are early and late in the season and have been wetsuit legal. The one I did without a wetsuit I wished I had had the suit on. I am a strong swimmer so I think the time advantage is negligible for me, much more of a comfort issue and time in the water figures into that equation.

2015-06-25 3:13 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
I would not wear a wetsuit for a sprint. I doubt I'd wear it for an oly either. I've done one oly with and one without and didn't see much difference. I can't stand wetsuits so I much prefer to forgo their use.
2015-06-25 3:16 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
PS I just saw the note on your brother...I hope the best for a speedy recovery.
2015-06-25 3:43 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by 3mar I would not wear a wetsuit for a sprint. I doubt I'd wear it for an oly either. I've done one oly with and one without and didn't see much difference. I can't stand wetsuits so I much prefer to forgo their use.

thanks for the minute you're spotting me

2015-06-25 3:47 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by 3mar I would not wear a wetsuit for a sprint. I doubt I'd wear it for an oly either. I've done one oly with and one without and didn't see much difference. I can't stand wetsuits so I much prefer to forgo their use.

If I wore one I'd actually be spotting you closer to 4. I look like a drunk Houdini escaping a straight jacket trying to struggle out of one of those things and it never goes smooth. I tried cutting the legs short and everything, but it still causes me issues.
2015-06-25 3:59 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by 3mar

If I wore one I'd actually be spotting you closer to 4. I look like a drunk Houdini escaping a straight jacket trying to struggle out of one of those things and it never goes smooth. I tried cutting the legs short and everything, but it still causes me issues.

Do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall?

Shane

2015-06-26 8:16 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Then you need to practice.  Training isn't just swimming, biking, and running.

Removing a wetsuit should add 10 seconds to your transition.  20 seconds at absolute most.  If it's more than that, you either need to practice, or you need a suit that fits properly.

2015-06-26 10:51 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Katy, Texas

Removing a wetsuit should add 10 seconds to your transition.  20 seconds at absolute most.  If it's more than that, you either need to practice, or you need a suit that fits properly.

I think it's too tight fitting. But in addition to the time of taking it off, I also can't wear my watch, so there's additional time to put that on as the sleeves are tight enough that it is a struggle to get it over the watch and it ends up pressing buttons and screwing everything up. Also, I always have trouble figuring out where to put it. I'm normally one of the first couple people out of the water and so everyone's bikes are still racked and there's nowhere to put it without it getting on other people's stuff/bikes. I try rolling it up but the arms and legs flop everywhere. So add that all up and I'm adding way more time than I gain.
2015-06-26 12:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I think it's too tight fitting. But in addition to the time of taking it off, I also can't wear my watch, so there's additional time to put that on as the sleeves are tight enough that it is a struggle to get it over the watch and it ends up pressing buttons and screwing everything up. Also, I always have trouble figuring out where to put it. I'm normally one of the first couple people out of the water and so everyone's bikes are still racked and there's nowhere to put it without it getting on other people's stuff/bikes. I try rolling it up but the arms and legs flop everywhere. So add that all up and I'm adding way more time than I gain.

You can make all the excuses in the world, doesn't change the fact that you're giving away free time.  I wear my watch, am usually one of the first people out of the water, and I have had zero problems.  In fact I usually have a top 5 T1 time.  Its not that difficult.

2015-06-26 6:06 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Let me throw some more fuel onto this fire: This sunday's sprint tri - pristine lake - expected temp 75 degrees - 500 meters. hmnnnnnnnnnnnn
2015-06-26 6:54 PM

User image

Franklin, TN
Roka Sim shorts. Worth a few seconds per 100 and they're easy to get off.

2015-06-26 7:25 PM
in reply to: #5122478

User image

Veteran
The Nation's Frosty Capital
I live my wetsuit and we go every distance together.

Taking it off is 10 seconds if your slow at it like me.
2015-06-26 8:19 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TJHammer Let me throw some more fuel onto this fire: This sunday's sprint tri - pristine lake - expected temp 75 degrees - 500 meters. hmnnnnnnnnnnnn

If 75 is legal for wetsuit swim then you wear the wetsuit. (I don't know what wetsuit legal is for AG races)  As has been stated, you should be able to get out of the suit in 10-20 seconds.  It will likely take off a minute or so from your swim if you are like most people who do triathlons.  It's just math.

2015-06-29 7:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Wore the wetsuit, light swim warm up in wetsuit. Within first 100 yards, it got very bunchy and crowded - took on a good amount of water and swallowed, coughed, a bunch of times, heart rate spiked, wetsuit felt even tighter, breathing rate rose, breast stroke to recover, lost at least a minute in that time. T1 took about 40 seconds too long. Everything else I did in that race was up to current level and progression expectation. I know this wetsuit has got to be too tight, I still hate the wetsuit experience, I appreciated the wetsuit in the recovery to calm my HR down. I prob could've placed top 12 overall and finished 4th AG. The swim/wetsuit/T1 the culprit. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Edited by TJHammer 2015-06-29 7:28 AM
2015-06-29 7:51 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by TJHammerWore the wetsuit, light swim warm up in wetsuit. Within first 100 yards, it got very bunchy and crowded - took on a good amount of water and swallowed, coughed, a bunch of times, heart rate spiked, wetsuit felt even tighter, breathing rate rose, breast stroke to recover, lost at least a minute in that time. T1 took about 40 seconds too long. Everything else I did in that race was up to current level and progression expectation. I know this wetsuit has got to be too tight, I still hate the wetsuit experience, I appreciated the wetsuit in the recovery to calm my HR down. I prob could've placed top 12 overall and finished 4th AG. The swim/wetsuit/T1 the culprit. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Woulda, shoulda, coulda...You need to train in it to race in it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Would you forego wetsuit in sprint Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

At what distance do you forego the wetsuit? Pages: 1 2

Started by Stuartap
Views: 2323 Posts: 26

2014-07-09 3:59 PM KSH

First Sprint, wetsuit or no wetsuit?

Started by pbpunisher
Views: 1061 Posts: 11

2012-06-11 7:08 AM peregrinesgirl

Henderson Sprint Triathlon Wetsuit

Started by kagoscuba
Views: 974 Posts: 2

2008-06-23 7:53 PM zeroviz

Surfing wetsuit for Sprint Tri?

Started by dbeach
Views: 3825 Posts: 15

2008-04-15 1:00 PM tcovert

Wetsuits, wetsuits, wetsuits

Started by joemac3
Views: 1885 Posts: 12

2007-09-04 7:40 PM haygosl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.
date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : October 20, 2008
author : AndriaLL
It was literally seconds after I started swimming that I felt the tightness in my chest. I couldn’t get a deep breath in due to the tightness of my wetsuit. I was being strangled by my wetsuit...
date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : August 7, 2007
author : newinboston
comments : 6
Some would say there are easier ways to get in shape, and they are probably right. My first worry was being able to squeeze into a wetsuit by race day.