General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Psoas, Back Pain & Cycling ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-15 2:09 AM

Subject: Psoas, Back Pain & Cycling ?
TL;DR: Ran 2 marathons, thinking about a 70.3 as a transition to a 140.6 eventually, not sure if cycling will help me or make it worst.

Hi Folks,
Since a couple of years, I have been fighting a psoas pain, certainly originated from bad posture (computer job, 20 years of bad sitting habits 10h/day), which come and go, depending on when I lock my back (Yard work ? Extreme training ?), with a weak core (I suppose, relatively) and overall very small flexibility, plus some QL tension (knots...). When the pain hit, I usually limp and cannot run anymore.
Changing my life style, I slowly build on some fitness to the point I was able to run 2 marathons, the second in 4h, and I am starting to consider training for a 140.6, which would be - for me - the ultimate mind and body realization.
I swim 3-4 time a week around 45 to 60 min, mostly to try to strengthen my back.

Now .. I have no cycling experience what-so-ever and this certainly the missing link to a triathlon.
I am thinking that a 3nd sport in my routine will bring variety and some joint relief.
But I am worried about my back. Will that help ? or make things worst ?

I am curious. I know back problems are quite common nowadays with desk-jobs. Did someone work his/her way through the same pain I am ? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel ? Can you go from limping to a 140.6 eventually ?

Any advice welcome.
http://vdeub.blogspot.com/

2015-06-17 7:36 AM
in reply to: #5122543

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Subject: RE: Psoas, Back Pain & Cycling ?
Have you ever looked into a mindbody approach to healing? Dr Sarno's theories about pain and the cause having an emotional component is what allows me to keep on training relatively pain free. I had a lot of pain like you before taking this type of approach.
2015-06-29 5:20 AM
in reply to: ecpasos

Why don’t you try physiotherapy? I think physiotherapy is one of the best options for back pain. My back pain is relieved by the physiotherapy treatment of ATC, a sports injury relief clinic in Toronto (http://www.atcpainreliefdr.com/). They had tried different alternative therapies and exercises for better results. Stretching exercises and massage therapy had really helped me to get rid of this pain. Cycling may complicate your back pain, so it’s better to seek the advice of an expert before doing anything. All the best.
2015-07-17 11:23 AM
in reply to: thevdeub

It sounds like you need to ensure your core is strong- abs, glutes and lower back- AND working together. You mention your 20 years of sitting etc - this is often the main underlying cause for disrupting body biomechanics in the long-term. You will need to release your psoas with deep sports massage, intense stretches and lacrosse ball etc

It can be fixed... but you may need to see a good sports physiotherapist to help you with specific exercises.
(You will need to do more than a 1 minute plank and a few sit ups!)
I doubt cycling will trigger it off specifically..... but I suspect the intensity of the running you will need to continue doing and the sheer increase in training for all three sports might cause it to be unhappy.

I would also suggest you get someone to look at your gait when you run and get a decent bike fit...

Hope that helps
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Psoas, Back Pain & Cycling ? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

lower back pain and groin pain

Started by CAOP1231
Views: 1414 Posts: 3

2010-12-05 9:19 PM treadster

Cycling creates hip and back of knee pain only on right leg

Started by swmrgrl
Views: 3960 Posts: 7

2009-10-05 8:46 PM merlin2375

lower back pain when cycling

Started by Mermaidenau
Views: 928 Posts: 10

2006-01-29 1:28 AM betyoursilver

Can anyone describe a good ilio-psoas stretch?

Started by Konabound
Views: 1745 Posts: 6

2006-11-11 4:39 PM jknapman

Back pain from dehydration?

Started by Fargo296
Views: 1061 Posts: 4

2004-11-10 7:32 PM gr8brindle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 17, 2015
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Can you give me any information as to why those muscles are still feeling sore and if this will affect my training long term? I'm planning on doing a full Ironman in 2016.

date : December 14, 2011
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?
date : January 17, 2011
comments : 2
Can running worsen spinal stenosis? Is it possible to compete in triathlons with this condition?

date : May 25, 2009
comments : 1
I started playing basketball three times a week in addition to running and biking. Now, whenever I run any distance, the next day, I can hardly sit in my chair at work.
date : March 19, 2009
After riding my bike sometimes I will develop a very sharp intense pain in the first joint of my pointer finger. It seems to happen randomly and it lasts for anywhere from several minutes to an hour.

date : July 15, 2008
I get a very bad shoulder pain (left side only) when on the bike for over 45 minutes. The pain seems to be between my shoulder blades but only on the left side.
date : May 1, 2006
This month I upped my bike time a lot but at relatively low intensity and I started experiencing pain on the outside lower part of my knee. It did not affect anything other than cycling.

date : November 14, 2004
author : trixie
A static stretching routine to aid in coordination, reducing muscle tension while serving to increase your range of motion.