General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Cadence Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-15 12:10 PM

User image

Subject: Running Cadence
I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for increasing my running cadence. I'm normally around 165 and running 7:45min/mile. I'm trying extremely hard to become a faster runner but whenever I pick up my cadence I wind up sprinting and can't hold it for very long. I've tried using shorter strides and maybe I'm doing something wrong, but anytime I get close to 180 I'm sprinting again and run out of gas.

2015-06-15 12:26 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Subject: RE: Running Cadence
Same issue with me now (cadence wise). I got tendonitis 2 months ago and my cadence and run speed has been slower ever since. I remember two years ago I spent the entire winter on the treadmill putting on base miles but more importantly, I was working on my cadence. I didn't have a footpod back then so I counted the number of right steps I took every 10 seconds.

What I did was looked at myself in the mirror to make sure I had good form but swinging my arms more is what helped the most. My legs just naturally followed after that. You'll need to get used to taking shorter steps. I have to work on this again since I'm down to low 170's now where I was at 180+. It's a LOT of work to get it up there. You'll feel like you're taking tiny tiny steps and almost falling over on yourself but after a few weeks it will feel normal but I did noticed that my HR was higher with a higher cadence and it took months before that got resolved. Guessing until my body got used to new running style.
2015-06-15 12:30 PM
in reply to: #5122674

User image

Post Falls, Idaho
Sounds like you are working too hard on the stride effort. Have you looked into the pose method?

Run in place with a 90bpm metronome app on your phone, just pulling your heals up and landing under your base, when you get the feel then just let gravity pull you forward and don't change the foot movements. Don't stride, just lift your heels up, nature will do the rest.

That's a simplified description but the general idea. You can find some example videos with Dr Romanov on YouTube to get a better idea.
2015-06-15 12:33 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Ways to be faster, longer stride length at same cadence, higher turnover at same stride length or a combo of both.  In training at my casual Z2 pacing I'm 160 to 165. On fast runs like a 5k or 10k I'm more like 170-175 and max out somewhere around 185 but I'm not holding that for long.  I don't think about anymore.  Just like with the bike pedal rpm there's not a magical value.  Everyone has there natural cadence for a given pace.  My 5'1 wife at our same Z2 pace is turning over a lot more than I am!

2015-06-15 12:39 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

What effort are you running at a 7:45 min/mi pace?

To increase your cadence, you will have to shorten your stride to run at the same pace.  The increased turnover may make you feel like you are working harder (and you may be).  Don't aim to ramp up to a much higher turnover right away.  Try to get to maybe 170 and see how that feels.  You sound like you may be a little on the low side and could benefit from a bit faster turnover.  It may not directly help you in speed, but it should help eventually as you should get reduced load on your body (impact to knees and hips), less 'bounce' (more level running) and less 'braking' (harder to overstride if you are doing so at all right now).  All that contributes to better running efficiency and should allow for faster running.  But the actual cadence does depend on the individual and at what speed/pace you are running. 

Doing 'strides' where you focus on running faster for a short duration (~30 sec, e.g.) with quick, light feet is a great exercise for improving your running form, in general, and can help with turnover.  'Light feet' is a cue that helps me keep my turnover up as try to minimize the contact time my foot has with the ground.  Simply counting strides intermittently during your run (for periods of 20 or 30 or 60 seconds, e.g.) and focusing on trying to keep those light feet can help develop comfort with a slightly higher cadence, as well.  But remember that cadence itself isn't the goal (despite much of the available information making it seem so).  It's just an easy focal point that can help you develop those quick, light feet that can contribute to faster, more economical running.

X

2015-06-15 1:44 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

What effort are you running at a 7:45 min/mi pace?

To increase your cadence, you will have to shorten your stride to run at the same pace.  The increased turnover may make you feel like you are working harder (and you may be).  Don't aim to ramp up to a much higher turnover right away.  Try to get to maybe 170 and see how that feels.  You sound like you may be a little on the low side and could benefit from a bit faster turnover.  It may not directly help you in speed, but it should help eventually as you should get reduced load on your body (impact to knees and hips), less 'bounce' (more level running) and less 'braking' (harder to overstride if you are doing so at all right now).  All that contributes to better running efficiency and should allow for faster running.  But the actual cadence does depend on the individual and at what speed/pace you are running. 

Doing 'strides' where you focus on running faster for a short duration (~30 sec, e.g.) with quick, light feet is a great exercise for improving your running form, in general, and can help with turnover.  'Light feet' is a cue that helps me keep my turnover up as try to minimize the contact time my foot has with the ground.  Simply counting strides intermittently during your run (for periods of 20 or 30 or 60 seconds, e.g.) and focusing on trying to keep those light feet can help develop comfort with a slightly higher cadence, as well.  But remember that cadence itself isn't the goal (despite much of the available information making it seem so).  It's just an easy focal point that can help you develop those quick, light feet that can contribute to faster, more economical running.

X

I'd say I'm in zone 3 - 4 at 7:45. I never thought of cadence till I bought my 920xt and found this website . After doing more research it seems that increasing my cadence while being able to stay in the same HR zone will be the key to bringing down my mileage time. Over the past few months I've been focusing on running more and even managed to run 10 miles on Sunday! That's a lot for me. With better running endurance now I'm hoping I can increase my speed.

2015-06-15 3:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Oakville

A few years ago I worked on increasing my cadence from the low 160s to 180 using the Garmin footpod.

I had to mainly run on the treadmill to control the speed, otherwise I noticed that I started to sprint like you mentioned.

For the first few weeks it felt very unnatural and I had to continuously watch the Garmin, otherwise I'd fall back into old habits and a longer stride.

Also, initially my heartrate jumped by about 10 bpm.

But after a few months the pace felt more natural and my heartrate and after about 4 or 5 months I was running at 180 cadence without thinking about it.

I also became faster, but there are quite a few other variables in there so I don't know how much is attributable to the higher cadence. 

Edited by Scott71 2015-06-15 3:35 PM
2015-06-15 3:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I've posted this link a few times because it is the easiest I've found to follow for people learning to run faster.  In your case, working on cadence, pay particular attention to the various skip drills.  This stuff is gold for faster running.  Do them every time you get ready to run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhzzpZVMtl4 

Edited by Left Brain 2015-06-15 3:50 PM
2015-06-15 4:55 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by TXTriRook I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for increasing my running cadence. I'm normally around 165.

My suggestion would be to increase your cycling cadence.  Your body establishes a rhythm on the bike which will carry over into your run.  Off a bike your body I am told that you natural metronome will want to settle into a run cadence about 10 below your revolutions on the bike. :-)

I started cycling 6 months ago and knew that my bike revolutions were not helping me since I like to stay in the big gears and peddle really slow.  When I started cycling I decided to focus 1-2 rides a week on getting used to the faster speeds in the smaller gears. I increased my cadence from 75-80 to about 90-95 revolutions a minute.   Two weeks after completing the 70.3 Triathlon that I spent 4 months training for this spring I did a 5K race and broke the 18:00 minute time bearer (17.54 gun time) for the first time since I did my first full Marathon 7 years ago.  No, the course wasn't short.  It measured .01 miles long.  I attribute the increased speed to all the time I spent on the bike getting used to a higher nature cadence.     

Having said that I have been running for 30 years and can count 11 different running coaches that I have trained under in that time (and trained with hundreds of other athletes).  During all of that time I never once heard the mention of a run cadence.  That wasn't something that I ever heard of until I started to look for Triathlon training information 6 months ago.  What I did hear as a runner, was the term "hitting your stride".  That term was defined to me as where you are able to use less energy that if they were to run any faster or any slower.  In other words it is a sweet spot or best efficiency point  for your running.  So based on the running circles I have been with I think that focusing on being more efficient (i.e. keeping your head up and shoulders back, relaxing your upper body, being light on your feet, loosing extra weight, etc.) will make you faster before shortening/lengthening your stride or trying to force an un-nature cadence will.  Any forcing you do, any straining, or muscling your way through will make you less efficient (slower). 

2015-06-16 10:25 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Left Brain

I've posted this link a few times because it is the easiest I've found to follow for people learning to run faster.  In your case, working on cadence, pay particular attention to the various skip drills.  This stuff is gold for faster running.  Do them every time you get ready to run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhzzpZVMtl4 

x2.  Excellent video.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Cadence Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Run cadence and heart rate question

Started by CasaJJ
Views: 3558 Posts: 11

2006-09-07 9:54 PM TH3_FRB

Running Cadence & Base Building

Started by tnickerson
Views: 1279 Posts: 10

2006-09-05 10:41 PM wsm9363

run cadence vs bike cadence Pages: 1 2

Started by cevans
Views: 4224 Posts: 32

2006-08-12 2:29 PM TH3_FRB

BIKING MESSING UP RUNNING CADENCE

Started by fromer
Views: 807 Posts: 6

2005-05-04 5:53 PM jasmine

Running Cadence Pages: 1 2

Started by ChuckyFinster
Views: 3096 Posts: 41

2005-01-15 3:08 PM Tiger Phil
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Every athlete can benefit from a quick cadence no matter if they are an Olympic distance racer or Ironman veteran. Take the time to work on your cadence and you will see many benefits.

date : July 31, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I have an ongoing problem with Plantar fasciitis (PF). A running friend of mine had heard that raising your running cadence is a good way to ease PF?
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : February 22, 2010
Discussions on using the weekends for a long bike and run, good running cadence, Ironman swimming, importance of kick drills and swim cadence.
date : January 16, 2008
comments : 4
This article outlines ways to increase your running cadence while also getting the benefits of reduced injury.

date : April 11, 2007
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation
date : October 2, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 9
Studies have shown a correlation between pedaling at a high cadence and running at a high cadence, which leads to faster running. The shorter your ground contact time , the less chance for injury.

date : November 27, 2005
author : mikericci
Focus on doing the drills and improving each week. Eventually you will go out for a run, look down, and see that your pace has improved, your heart rate is lower, and your cadence is over 90 rpm.