General Discussion Triathlon Talk » More thoughts on racing in the heat? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-15 2:55 PM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
Subject: More thoughts on racing in the heat?
I did an Oly this past weekend. I know the course well and did it many times. PR for this one is about 2:22 This past weekend was probably more like 3:00 didnt look at my exact time ye, and not even interested.

This past weekend we had a bit of a heat wave. I did the course the previous two weekends and it was a breeze. But then during this race with temps a good 15 degrees warmer, the wheels almost came off on the run. Was about 80+ and no shade anywhre on the run course.

Swim was fine, bike was ok, but i did feel the heat coming up off the road about half way.

I actually fett dizzy a few times on the run and decided to walk a lttle.

I didn't have any gel caps and they only had water on the course.

I sweat so much my shoes were making the squishy sound.

Would gel packets have helped?

Gatorade or Heed?

Wondering if since the heat came on so suddenly I really wasnt training in it. My first intro to the heat this season was on this race. Not good

Other thoughts on racing in the heat?

2015-06-15 3:10 PM
in reply to: JohnP_NY

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: More thoughts on racing in the heat?

You need to drink more in the heat.

Sports drink is a good idea for some of that fluid intake.

It definitely helps to be acclimated to the heat.  Only so much you can do when the environment changes quickly.

You will have to slow down in the heat.  You will have to do this earlier than you feel you need to or you will slow done more than you 'should' later.  How much you have to slow down depends on many factors (fitness, acclimation, size, etc.)

When it is really humid (squishy shoe weather), the slowing down is amplified because evaporation does not help in cooling you down.

2015-06-15 4:19 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Train in the heat and I like to wear a hat on the run. I found wearing a hat keeps me cooler than being exposed to the sun. I feel your pain though. I had a DNF partly from dehydration and partly because it was 90+ by the time I got to the run and it was 50-60 + rain almost every freaken day the month before so I had zero chance to get used to the heat (random heat wave that weekend). Just walked it off and learn from the experience. Don't let it get you down.
2015-06-15 7:00 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Yup, you gotta slow down and take in more hydration.

I started a heat acclimation thread recently and there are some really good pointers there.
2015-06-15 7:20 PM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
I carry my own water bottle with heed in races with high temperatures for Oylmpic distance and longer.
2015-06-16 5:18 PM

User image

Ice in the sports bra.

2015-06-16 10:24 PM
in reply to: RunningJoke

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Er....I think OP is a dude? Being able to put ice in the bra is one advantage of being female, I guess. If only water is being served on the course in hot, humid conditions (which in my opinion is pretty inexcusable in a developed country where the organizers should know better) then definitely you should bring a bottle or two (depending on distance) of your own electrolyte drink and/or take a gel or two that has electrolytes in it. (Not sure about others but I know Powerbar Tangerine flavor, and maybe a couple of the other fruit flavors, does--I use it for long runs, a half-marathon where they serve only water most of the time, and runs in Olympic and longer tris in tropical conditions.)

Heat/humidity definitely affects performance and feelings of well-being--I should know as probably 90% of my training and racing is done in the tropics. Acclimation helps.....up to a point. But even in my case (I live and train in Vietnam about 9-10 months a year), I'm usually about 2-4 minutes slower on an Oly tri run than in temperate weather. I find there's little effect for shorter events such as a 5K run or sprint tri but anything exceeding about 40 minutes of running is really a lot harder. You definitely need to pace more conservatively in longer events the more extreme the heat and humidity are. Factors like shade, breeze, or lack thereof also make a huge difference in comfort/ performance even at similar temps. RPE or heart rate is a much better metric than pace for racing or training in those conditions.
2015-06-16 11:41 PM

User image

Post Falls, Idaho
Be a little careful with over-reacting to the heat when drinking.

The American College of Sports Medicine changed their position on hydration in 2007 and stated that hyponatermia (low sodium concentrations) has become a greater concern than dehydration. According to Loren Cordain PhD, field studies have shown that up to 30% of Ironman finishers have symptoms of hyponatermia. The cause of this in endurance athletes is most commonly over drinking. Salt supplements are highly misunderstood, and their use can actually make this condition worse.

Your body can only intake so much, and performance has not been shown to be negatively impacted with water losses up to 3%.

Long story short - expect to drink more if its hot and sweaty, but drink based on thirst - your body knows what it needs.

2015-06-17 2:32 AM
in reply to: rframe

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Most of the time here it is around 90* for our races to combat this I:
- Always wear a hat on the run
- dump water over your head at every aid station
- freeze drink bottles the day before the race (one water one other) and then take them out of the freezer and put them in the fridge the night before. by doing this they are thawed but still cold by the time I get to the bike.
- drink to thirst on the bike. I take water and lemon cordial because I cant stomach sports drinks
- always take a 3rd frozen drink bottle for the run, if it is really hot then I carry this with me but I make that decision when I come in off the bike.
2015-06-17 9:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

I was discussing with my runner wife about racing seasons and how most "big" or "important" running races are in the early spring or early fall to hopefully avoid the heat that usually comes with June/July/August in North America. With triathlon, depending on your geographic location, a solid portion of the racing season will be during these times where the temperature is sub-optimal, i.e. too hot. As triathletes I think it should be expected that at some point you will have to face racing in hot, humid conditionsand racing in the 60-70s degrees probably won't happen.

Most years I do a half-iron distance race at the beginning of June and my entire training prep is during the winter/cool spring months. But come June the temps are much warmer than what I've been preparing in for the last four months. I've finally wised up and started doing some warm training sessions in my basement a few weeks out anticipating this, including using no fans and wearing long-sleeved clothing. It helps. It also helps to do what everone else has also mentioned above (slow down, hydrate, and hydrate), as well as having the expectation that on a warm race day you might not have the results that may have occurred otherwise and that you should just take what your body will produce for you. Also take solace in that everyone else is out on the course too, suffering just as well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » More thoughts on racing in the heat? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training in heat / racing in cool weather

Started by Jeepguy2358
Views: 382 Posts: 1

2011-07-24 7:45 AM Jeepguy2358

Race Day Forecast: High Heat and Humidity

Started by amykmo
Views: 1257 Posts: 8

2010-06-09 9:31 AM moxie

racing in heat

Started by cusetri
Views: 1177 Posts: 15

2009-08-18 8:27 AM thirdsacharm

Training to Race in the Heat

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 1478 Posts: 20

2009-02-26 7:00 PM Dream Chaser

Tips for training/racing in the heat

Started by DMW
Views: 989 Posts: 12

2007-06-18 4:12 PM bikingbruise
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 31, 2011
author : Curt Chesney
comments : 0
Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat

date : September 17, 2008
author : AMSSM
Heat stress, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke: How do these relate to hydration? Can I be well hydrated and still suffer heat stress?
date : September 8, 2008
author : ValleyCoach.com
Because of potential heat injury and sun damage, there are certain precautions that should be taken. Here are some tips to avoid heat injury.

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?
date : May 30, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day butterflies, long Ironman training bricks, training in the heat, hydration, going hard in a short race, and hammering the swim.

date : July 3, 2006
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.
date : April 2, 2006
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 24, 2005
author : dara
An explanation about how the cardiovascular system works, so that it makes more sense about how the human body responds to exercise in the heat.