General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Grand Rapids Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-15 6:47 PM

User image

Subject: Grand Rapids Tri
So how did everyone do? I blew all of my expectations out of the water and had an amazing race, despite the conditions. Rather than rewrite everything here I'll just link to my race report. I will definitely be doing this one again next year.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

Also, if you get a chance to volunteer, DO IT! I was worried about expending too much energy the day before the race setting up transition but I think the good race karma was worth it!

2015-06-15 11:17 PM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Subject: RE: Grand Rapids Tri
Originally posted by Toefuzz

So how did everyone do? I blew all of my expectations out of the water and had an amazing race, despite the conditions. Rather than rewrite everything here I'll just link to my race report. I will definitely be doing this one again next year.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

Also, if you get a chance to volunteer, DO IT! I was worried about expending too much energy the day before the race setting up transition but I think the good race karma was worth it!

I read your race report, great job and congratulations on beating your goals! Looks like you had a great day in general.

My day was okay...5th in the AG. Feel like I left a bit on the table both due to effort and some mistakes, but overall, I'm happy with it. Change it around a little bit and I might've been able to snag 4th place, but that's a big if. Certainly wouldn't have allowed me to move up to 3rd.

In the end, I was just glad to do it, not wipe out on a wet road, and not have it be 85 and high humidity, even if the rain was something else in the early morning!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2015-06-16 7:14 AM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Nicely done Brad! I was worried about the bike course as I don't ride in the rain or bad conditions, but it turned out to be decent for those of us in the Oly distance. Of course I think it helped that the course is pretty much an out and back so there weren't a lot of corners to navigate.

5th in your AG is impressive as that's a tough one! It seems like there are too many of you guys with the disposable income and time to train once you hit your 40's!

I felt like I left something on the table as well but was told that means I probably paced the bike correctly to set myself up for a nice run, though I don't know if that really applies to a sprint.

I'm curious to see where I can go with triathlon over the next few seasons. I've only been training for a year, and most of that is running (bike and swim added last August). I've dropped a lot of weight but have another 20 pounds to go and I've already gone from a back of the pack athlete to middle of the back. With the inevitable improvements from consistent training, experience, and the addition of a few toys I should be able to start cracking the top 10 for my age group in local races, even ones with a decent number of competitors like GR.

2015-06-16 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Nice work! I'm glad to hear your race went so well. Your swim and bike times are nothing to sneeze at and your run is coming along. By next year you will be a force to be reckoned with. =)

Have you done Michigan Titanium? Which course is better, do you think?

Congrats on a great race!
2015-06-16 8:49 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
I just compared my 2014 results to my 2015 results, and now I'm definitely frustrated with myself. I was :15 slower in the swim, but it is always hard to judge swim courses due to not being exactly the same, plus they changed the path to transition a little.

Swim: :16 slower in 2015 than 2014
T1: :50 slower in 2015 than 2014 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Bike: 2:08 faster in 2015
T2: :29 slower in 2015 than 2014
Run: :46 faster in 2015
Overall: 1:20 faster in 2015

Boy, normally I am great in transitions. I consistently have near top of the pack transition times in both T1 and T2, and I struggled mightily there this year. A little bit of it is the conditions and a slightly different transition set up, but I was 1:19 slower in 2015 total through transition than in 2014. I was 0:55 behind 4th place in my AG...boy is that frustrating. I should've used those damn wetsuit strippers. I'm not saying I would've taken 4th, because that would've brought it down to a sprint towards the finish line in the last couple hundred meters and I doubt I could have hung on versus someone who runs a 5K 3 minutes faster than I do, but I would've liked my time a lot more!!!

I'm going to focus on those transitions for my race tomorrow night at Island Lake and then again up at Lumberman.
2015-06-16 7:18 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown

Nice work! I'm glad to hear your race went so well. Your swim and bike times are nothing to sneeze at and your run is coming along. By next year you will be a force to be reckoned with. =)

Have you done Michigan Titanium? Which course is better, do you think?

Congrats on a great race!

I have not done MiTi but drive the course several times per week in my day to day life... I would give the nod to GR, but MiTi isn't bad. There are some decent race reports on this site and ironmanbythirty.com has some excellent race reports.

2015-06-16 7:20 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Originally posted by MSU_Brad

I just compared my 2014 results to my 2015 results, and now I'm definitely frustrated with myself. I was :15 slower in the swim, but it is always hard to judge swim courses due to not being exactly the same, plus they changed the path to transition a little.

Swim: :16 slower in 2015 than 2014
T1: :50 slower in 2015 than 2014 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Bike: 2:08 faster in 2015
T2: :29 slower in 2015 than 2014
Run: :46 faster in 2015
Overall: 1:20 faster in 2015

Boy, normally I am great in transitions. I consistently have near top of the pack transition times in both T1 and T2, and I struggled mightily there this year. A little bit of it is the conditions and a slightly different transition set up, but I was 1:19 slower in 2015 total through transition than in 2014. I was 0:55 behind 4th place in my AG...boy is that frustrating. I should've used those damn wetsuit strippers. I'm not saying I would've taken 4th, because that would've brought it down to a sprint towards the finish line in the last couple hundred meters and I doubt I could have hung on versus someone who runs a 5K 3 minutes faster than I do, but I would've liked my time a lot more!!!

I'm going to focus on those transitions for my race tomorrow night at Island Lake and then again up at Lumberman.

I usually do well in transitions but I actually practice them... I find it helps. I also spend a lot of time on the swim and bike mentally preparing myself for what I need to do and in what order. In regards to the wetsuit strippers, they were awesome!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Grand Rapids Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Grand Rapids Tri (GRTri) Half Iron Entry FS

Started by slacher
Views: 567 Posts: 3

2015-06-10 7:52 AM slacher

Grand Rapids Tri--hotels

Started by Puppetmaster
Views: 1209 Posts: 7

2015-01-18 3:06 PM TriMike

Grand Rapids Tri June 9th First Timer ?'s

Started by DV 1
Views: 1713 Posts: 12

2013-06-05 6:48 PM DV 1

Grand Rapids or West MI Tri Gear

Started by davidson3
Views: 1427 Posts: 4

2009-06-26 7:00 PM xarhelm

Grand Rapids Riverbank 25K

Started by grandhavenbill
Views: 1050 Posts: 7

2007-04-06 3:09 PM trixie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.

date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
comments : 0
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !