General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tracking with phone. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-17 1:30 PM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: Tracking with phone.
I've been using Runtastic to keep up with my bike and run training. Now that some Android phones support Ant+ I've been thinking of getting a heart monitor to aid in training.

The only thing that worries me about that is if I use my phone to track, yet races don't allow phones... What are my options? Of course, buying a Garmin or anything like that is not an option

Edited by WebFootFreak 2015-06-17 1:40 PM

2015-06-18 7:38 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Tracking with phone.

I'd use a phone if this is what I relied on for GPS and HR tracking .  There are a plethora of bike mounts for phones and again it has to be used for tracking purposes. IMHO, I'd be surprised if anyone stopped or penalized you for using your phone as a tracking device, especially if tucked in a pocket of your jersey.

2015-06-18 7:52 AM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

But if I'm pacing my rides based on HR, do I not need to be able to see it? I'm just wondering if they'll freak out over a handlebar mount. Maybe drop a line to the RD of my next event.
2015-06-19 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

I seriously doubt there's an issue to use your phone as a monitor.  It's no different than any other monitoring device ... just don't take any calls while riding .

2015-06-21 4:49 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Get in touch with the RD and ask. It would suck to get a DQ because you used your phone in a race.

I would be surprised if they allow it.

My suggestion is to save your pennies and get a garmin, a low end watch is not that expensive. Or of course just stick with RPE, there's nothing wrong with that.
2015-06-23 11:12 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
You can use the Wahoo TickrX HR strap. It uses Ant+ and Blue Tooth, making it easier to use with your phone.

I don't think the RD will let you race with the phone on the bar mount.

You can use the HR strap and phone during training, and during a race just use the HR strap. It has onboard memory! So you can't use it to pace during a race, but after the race you can sync the data to your phone and see how you did.

2015-06-24 7:58 AM
in reply to: tzcoaching

User image

Thanks for your replies. I'm just trying to stay out of the DQ column . I'll go ahead and train with it, but use RPE and cadence during a race. Right now a Garmin is quite low on the list, but I should be able to improve tracking with the phone.
2015-08-30 2:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Rick, right now and for the next three weeks, I am just using my phone with the MapMyFitness app. In three weeks I will start using my Timex Global Trainer so I can get heart rate data. MMF will become a back-up. I got my GT on sale on Amazon for $250. You might also keep an eye on eBay for a deal.

I wasn't aware that you weren't allowed to use a phone for tracking during a race. I thought the main concern was not wearing earbuds/headphones during a race, for pacing and safety reasons. Here's what the USAT rules say about it:
Cycling:
5.8 Illegal Equipment.
Any participants who any time uses wears or carries a headset, radio, headphones, personal audio device, or any other item described in Section 3.4(i) shall be assessed a variable time penalty.

Running Conduct:
6.3 Permitted and Illegal Equipment.
Any participant who at any time wears or carries a headset, radio, headphones, personal audio device, or any other item prohibited by Section 3.4(i) shall be subject to a time penalty.

Section 3.4(i):
i. Unauthorized Accessories.
No participant shall, at any time during the event, use or wear a hard cast, headset, radio, personal audio device, or any other item deemed dangerous by the Head Referee. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.

As you can see, there is no DQ penalty for doing so, just a "variable time" penalty, Personally, if I were still refereeing races, I wouldn't make an issue of someone using their phone for tracking, as long as it wasn't playing music or they weren't wearing headphones, and as previously stated, no taking calls unless you were parked on the shoulder and not sitting your bike. After all, nothing in the rules says you can't use a GPS to make sure you stay on the route. So you could make the argument that was what you were doing.
2015-08-30 3:32 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

The RD had got back with me and said that it'd be fine... then they cancelled the race
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tracking with phone. Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.

date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.
date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?

date : May 8, 2007
author : Ron
Lots of updates in this version! Map your routes and elevation profiles of single sport workouts, bricks and races! Directly integrates into BT's training log to assign routes to workouts.
date : March 20, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 3
Provided one was proficient in setting up the different functions of the Lap Track, I think that a short-course triathlete would benefit most from this, since it only records splits up to 50 laps.

date : April 21, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to use our detailed online race log to track your season and progress.
date : October 17, 2004
author : mbologna
One way to improve your speed is to do track work that totals the time and distance goal. The idea is to slowly condition your body to be comfortable at your goal pace.