General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Frequent Open water swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-06-21 9:12 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Frequent Open water swimming
Just did my first OWS of the season yesterday. I'll say this: treading water between reps is nothing like resting at the wall.

I've got a race next weekend (first open-water tri of the season for me) so I wanted to work on 4 things:
1) swimming in the wetsuit
2) sighting
3) turning
4) getting out of the suit

Everything went fine, and I don't really feel the need to do OWS other than a tune-up right before a race. Swimming hard/fast and therefore building swim fitness/speed is just so much more doable in the pool. I could see adding in OWS sessions, but I'd never swap out a pool session for open water.

Having said that, if I was doing IM I could see wanting to practice swimming continuously for 1 hour + at a time, so probably would work in a few of those sessions as I approached my race. As a short course-focused dude with limited training time, however, I'd rather maximize my bang-for-the-buck in the pool.

2015-06-21 4:39 PM
in reply to: #5123354

User image

I can totally relate to the panicking because you think about it.

I was in the open water this weekend and things were well. I'm sighting well, everything is smooth.

>inner dialogue
"Good pace. Sight -- yep, there's the building. I'm feeling good. The water is really clear. Wow, I'm halfway there and haven't thought about panicking.

Wait, no. Don't panic. You're fine. No problem.

PANIC! >>

Then breast stroke, tread to bring my heart rate down. And continue.

I'm a mental case out there.

I do my best to do two pool swims and one OWS every week. It helps a ton.
2015-06-22 11:19 AM
in reply to: jeremyscarroll

User image

When I had my medical issue that stuck with me in subsequent OW Swims, I would count strokes. I found it helped keep my mind occupied
2015-06-22 1:09 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Did my first OW swim of the season a couple weeks ago in a 70.3, PR'd that one. Did my 2nd OWS yesterday in a sprint, 500 meters, PR'd that one too. Agree with the camp that pool is where the hard efforts go (even though you can swim hard in OW). Good points about feeling comfortable and not in "panic" mode. If you get a big enough group to do an OWS, practice a mass start where you're very close to one another. Intentionally swim side by side, draft behind one another etc. If you just swim solo in open water and not close to others, not sure of the benefit of that, other than the enjoyment and chlorine free water etc.
2015-06-22 3:35 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

I think there is value in more OW sessions. 

1) Sighting in the pool is not sighting in OW. Esp with a pack of swimmers in front of you (good for you if you are at the front!!)
2) Training for race conditions is vital. My next race is in the great lakes and so I need some time to train for windy/choppy conditions in case they happen on race day.
3) Unless you race a lot time in the wetsuit will help you perform on the day.

But weekly?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Frequent Open water swimming Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Cold Water Open water Swim Caps

Started by peggyswims
Views: 1284 Posts: 3

2012-01-08 10:17 PM smurfcore

Open water swimming (somewhat cold) - swim cap required?

Started by iOrlando
Views: 2313 Posts: 10

2011-05-25 8:30 AM Av8rTx

"Swim Across America" open water swims?

Started by nehptune
Views: 892 Posts: 1

2010-07-08 2:59 PM nehptune

Open water swimming in cold waters...

Started by lkc01234
Views: 2121 Posts: 9

2010-05-03 11:07 PM kingofbanff

Water Temperature - Open water swim

Started by tmueller
Views: 15473 Posts: 13

2008-02-17 10:12 AM tmueller
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : August 12, 2010
author : 10Kswim.com
comments : 2
Learn what the world's best open water swimmers look for, think about and do during a world-class open water swim and it's implications for triathletes looking to improve the swim leg of their race.
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : July 8, 2008
author : ggwellness
comments : 11
Confessions of an open water chicken. I'm OK when the water is clear and the creatures are visible; it's just when I can't see them that the panic sets in.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.