of 4

2015-07-01 11:55 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Subject: RE: Why is "faith" good
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by drewb8

I don't think I have the power to make this a "better" world for my children and humanity.  There is just too much that I have no control over.  What I can do is help my children be good people in the world we have, no matter what it deals them.  That's a big enough job for me.

Do you really believe that?  I mean isn't your chosen profession making the world better for your children?

I've been at this for 30 years.......I gave up on fixing the world a loooong time ago.  I can help make life a bit easier on a few people, and I'm good with helping out..... 

That's what I mean though. Work on little things that have big power in aggregate.

No one has the power to change the world individually, but as humans isn't that what we are trying to do as a whole? If not, then what's the purpose of life at all? Why have children? Why even live?

I can't believe that there is something "better" out there when I die. That just doesn't do it for me. I'm deeply religious but in a humanist sense. If that makes sense.

2015-07-01 12:16 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

I don't think I have the power to make this a "better" world for my children and humanity.  There is just too much that I have no control over.  What I can do is help my children be good people in the world we have, no matter what it deals them.  That's a big enough job for me.

Do you really believe that?  I mean isn't your chosen profession making the world better for your children?

I've been at this for 30 years.......I gave up on fixing the world a loooong time ago.  I can help make life a bit easier on a few people, and I'm good with helping out..... 

That's what I mean though. Work on little things that have big power in aggregate. No one has the power to change the world individually, but as humans isn't that what we are trying to do as a whole? If not, then what's the purpose of life at all? Why have children? Why even live? I can't believe that there is something "better" out there when I die. That just doesn't do it for me. I'm deeply religious but in a humanist sense. If that makes sense.

I think I live for the joy of it.  I think I had kids for the joy they bring me.  I hope I have raised them to pass that on.....that will help the world in the way you are talking about, and I agree with you. 

I don't think I ever look at it as "changing" anything....although there surely was a time when I did.  It's REALLY hard to change people.....but you can help them all you care to.  I enjoy that.

2015-07-01 2:48 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by tuwood

I guess I'm always trying to figure out why we have a conscience if there is nothing after this.  My conscience pretty much drives the way I live my life.  It seems to me that would be a useless thing to have if there was nothing after this, or maybe my soul  learned other lessons along some journey.  I know that I really have no fear of death.  It's either nothing else so when the light's out it's out......or something else is coming and I'm good with seeing what that is.  I don't need faith.  I only have control over my own actions, nothing else. Conscience.

Why does it have to be something after life? What drives me is making a better world for my children and for the future of humanity.

I wouldn't necessarily say there has to be something after life, it's more that we hope that there's something after life.

Why? I feel like it makes people live for something later rather than live for what they actually have now.

In the context of most religions; living for the "next life" is all about living a good life in this life.  In other words, you don't get to the next life unless you take a few steps in this life which make you a far better person.  

The alternative is to have no belief in a next life which is far less incentive to "be good" because it doesn't matter.

2015-07-01 3:41 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I guess I'm always trying to figure out why we have a conscience if there is nothing after this.  My conscience pretty much drives the way I live my life.  It seems to me that would be a useless thing to have if there was nothing after this, or maybe my soul  learned other lessons along some journey.  I know that I really have no fear of death.  It's either nothing else so when the light's out it's out......or something else is coming and I'm good with seeing what that is.  I don't need faith.  I only have control over my own actions, nothing else. Conscience.

Why does it have to be something after life? What drives me is making a better world for my children and for the future of humanity.

I wouldn't necessarily say there has to be something after life, it's more that we hope that there's something after life.

Why? I feel like it makes people live for something later rather than live for what they actually have now.

In the context of most religions; living for the "next life" is all about living a good life in this life.  In other words, you don't get to the next life unless you take a few steps in this life which make you a far better person.  

The alternative is to have no belief in a next life which is far less incentive to "be good" because it doesn't matter.

I don't see it that way. I don't believe in some afterlife, but that doesn't mean I'm don't want to "be good."  Living life through love, self love and love to others, has so far proven to be the best perspective on life that I have encountered.  Being kind feels a lot better than being angry.

When i see most theistic religious, what I see is a big book of reasons for some people to tell other people that what they are doing is evil, and a big book of ways to control people and make them do what you want them to.

2015-07-01 4:41 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I don't see it that way. I don't believe in some afterlife, but that doesn't mean I'm don't want to "be good."  Living life through love, self love and love to others, has so far proven to be the best perspective on life that I have encountered.  Being kind feels a lot better than being angry.

When i see most theistic religious, what I see is a big book of reasons for some people to tell other people that what they are doing is evil, and a big book of ways to control people and make them do what you want them to.

It's not that you don't want to be good, but you don't have to be good.  I agree that most people who aren't spiritual in any way are good people that do good things, I was simply stating that believing in an afterlife is more likely to influence somebody to act better versus worse overall.

As for the "big book" controlling people, I'd say it's more about a book of laws/rules to follow to be productive members of society.  
Ironically, you would agree with probably 95% of what the Christian Bible instructs us to do in order to live a sin free life.  Don't kill, don't steal, don't bang your neighbors wife, etc.  Just because there are a couple of rules you don't like doesn't mean there's nothing good in there.  Most of the moral laws we have in society are rooted in religion (and they just plain make sense).

2015-07-01 6:24 PM

User image

I don't think I ever look at it as "changing" anything....although there surely was a time when I did.  It's REALLY hard to change people.....but you can help them all you care to.  I enjoy that.

I never thought I'd see the changes that have happened recently in the US, capped by the Supreme Court decision last Friday. I participate in other activities that help to promote social justice and instill those values on my children. I'm not apathetic enough to decide that the choices I make from day to day do not make any difference.

I don't agree with the idea that belief in a higher being or afterlife is the only thing that keeps us being "good". I have a social conscience and choose what I do based on what I think is best for myself and those around me. My religion, although based on that "big book" ultimately is about treating fellow humans with respect and dignity, and trying to bring out the best in each other. I won't kill someone or hurt someone not because God is watching or because I'll go to jail for it; I don't hurt someone because it's the wrong thing to do. Yes, those are extreme examples, but a basic understanding of right and wrong is all we need to go forward in life. I have "faith" in humanity in that as a whole we are working towards making the world a better place.

2015-07-01 7:24 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Pro

I never thought I'd see the changes that have happened recently in the US, capped by the Supreme Court decision last Friday. I participate in other activities that help to promote social justice and instill those values on my children. I'm not apathetic enough to decide that the choices I make from day to day do not make any difference. I don't agree with the idea that belief in a higher being or afterlife is the only thing that keeps us being "good". I have a social conscience and choose what I do based on what I think is best for myself and those around me. My religion, although based on that "big book" ultimately is about treating fellow humans with respect and dignity, and trying to bring out the best in each other. I won't kill someone or hurt someone not because God is watching or because I'll go to jail for it; I don't hurt someone because it's the wrong thing to do. Yes, those are extreme examples, but a basic understanding of right and wrong is all we need to go forward in life. I have "faith" in humanity in that as a whole we are working towards making the world a better place.

Sure....no argument with anything you said.  I agree. 

For me, I'm happy to try to do good and help people see that being good is help enough.  If I got too wrapped up in making change it would drive me nuts since in my day to day life I deal with quite a few people who are not good, and they aren't going anywhere....and most of them are not changing.  Still, I like my front row seat to life, so I'll take the bad with the good.  

I figure the best I can do is raise good kids and be involved in raising other good kids by always being willing to do things like becoming a swim official when the team needed volunteers, or coaching a kid's baseball team, or being a scout leader, or any number of things that I've been more than willing to help with as my kids have grown.  I'd be really good with the idea that one of those kids I've been involved with, or my own, will do something tremendous and be an agent for change......or goodness. That would/will be awesome.

As for the recent social changes, absolutely......almost all of them are a long time coming.  Inclusion seems to me to be the best way to a peaceful existence for all of us. I have no problem using my voice toward that end when the opportunity comes up, but I don't go searching for those opportunities.

Afterlife?  Like I said, that'd be cool and I hope there is....but it doesn't influence who I am.

2015-07-02 9:23 AM
in reply to: drewb8

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I agree that it's great to live in the cleanest environment possible....it just makes life more enjoyable.  But let's face it, it's really not that big of a problem if we look at the big picture.  The Earth will take care of itself.....as always.  I think the best part of humanity for me is our inherent arrogance....it has been a constant source of comic relief.  We are absolutely insignificant and unnecessary for the health/detriment of this planet......it works the other way around.  Mankind won't always be here.

Well there's billions and billions of habitable planets around so we can always just pop over to one of those if we mess things up too bad.

Maybe it's a new thread, but I do find it interesting to think about how mankind and civilization will end though.  I mean at some point there won't be any humans on earth.  Maybe we'll figure out how to leave.  Maybe the population will just dwindle down until there's no one left.  Maybe an asteroid will wipe out everyone at once.  Maybe a virus will whittle us down to just a small group and then tigers will finish us off.  Only thing that's for sure is that everything you see out your window will be abandoned some day.  Except for Keith Richards obviously.

I just read this today and thought of your comment.  

New model of cosmic stickiness favors ‘Big Rip’ demise of universe

2015-07-02 9:51 AM

User image

Pro

I always hear people praising others for having "faith."  Why is the purposeful suspension of critical thinking a good thing?

I'm gonna' go back and try to answer the OP's original question.

Faith is not inherently a good thing.  However it IS treated as a good thing, so that people feel better about themselves for believing in things that make them feel good, which otherwise they'd know were not true.

2015-07-02 9:58 AM
in reply to: morey000

Originally posted by morey000

I always hear people praising others for having "faith."  Why is the purposeful suspension of critical thinking a good thing?

Faith is not inherently a good thing.  However it IS treated as a good thing, so that people feel better about themselves for believing in things that make them feel good, which otherwise they'd know were not true.

happen to agree with this. don't think that religion or being 'faith filled' makes anyone a better person.
2015-07-02 10:02 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Pro

Why do you hate Santa Claus?

2015-07-02 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Theres a funny story about a 6 year old dave who told all the neighbor kids santa claus wasn't real.....

2015-07-02 10:17 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Afterlife?  Like I said, that'd be cool and I hope there is....but it doesn't influence who I am.

Love this answer.  Thanks for helping ME to articulate my feelings better.

2015-07-02 10:21 AM

User image

Pro

Theres a funny story about a 6 year old dave who told all the neighbor kids santa claus wasn't real.....

Whatever dude......if a 6 year old tried to sabotage our fun with the kids and Santa we would have launched a major smear campaign against the little bastard.

2015-07-02 10:26 AM

User image

Buttercup
I think that, more than faith or reason, pathos has a great deal more to do with why people are "good." Compassion, empathy or sympathy - all of those qualities go a very long, untroubled way towards driving people to do or be good. I think people who are low on the pathos continuum yet manage to avoid sins of commission do so because they have a rigid belief system that mostly keeps them in check. And I'm grateful for that. And then there are those who lack pathos and wreak havoc because they are not guided by any social rules.

Isn't it kind of weird that we never talk about the value of pathos when we talk about what makes a person "good"?

2015-07-02 10:39 AM
in reply to: Renee

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Renee I think that, more than faith or reason, pathos has a great deal more to do with why people are "good." Compassion, empathy or sympathy - all of those qualities go a very long, untroubled way towards driving people to do or be good. I think people who are low on the pathos continuum yet manage to avoid sins of commission do so because they have a rigid belief system that mostly keeps them in check. And I'm grateful for that. And then there are those who lack pathos and wreak havoc because they are not guided by any social rules. Isn't it kind of weird that we never talk about the value of pathos when we talk about what makes a person "good"?

That's basically what I mean when I talk about my conscience, which I credit for guiding me to try and do good.  It's what leads me to believe there may be an afterlife.....I don't know why I, or any of us, would have a conscience if there was nothing after this.

2015-07-02 12:18 PM
in reply to: SGirl

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by SGirl

happen to agree with this. don't think that religion or being 'faith filled' makes anyone a better person.

Obviously there are plenty of "faith filled" people who are good and bad, but in my experience I typically see faith making people far better than they ever were before.

I do a lot of work with my church mentoring men and my wife and I mentor couples in crisis and I could spend hours telling you amazing stories of lives changing through faith.  One close friend of mine was a 5 time felon in and out of jail his whole life who turned his life around through faith.  He's now an extremely successful businessman father of 3 and sober for over 5 years.  
Another friend was a drug addicted murderer.  He spent 15 years in prison for slitting a guys throat over drugs.  He was pure evil!  He's now the worship director at one of the largest churches in Omaha and is married with 2 absolutely beautiful daughters.  He surrendered his life to faith and never looked back.

Faith isn't just about going to church and saying, whelp I have to live by all these rules now.  It's about accepting that there is a power greater than yourself and getting in touch with it. 

2015-07-03 7:47 AM

User image

Buttercup

Originally posted by Renee I think that, more than faith or reason, pathos has a great deal more to do with why people are "good." Compassion, empathy or sympathy - all of those qualities go a very long, untroubled way towards driving people to do or be good. I think people who are low on the pathos continuum yet manage to avoid sins of commission do so because they have a rigid belief system that mostly keeps them in check. And I'm grateful for that. And then there are those who lack pathos and wreak havoc because they are not guided by any social rules. Isn't it kind of weird that we never talk about the value of pathos when we talk about what makes a person "good"?

That's basically what I mean when I talk about my conscience, which I credit for guiding me to try and do good.  It's what leads me to believe there may be an afterlife.....I don't know why I, or any of us, would have a conscience if there was nothing after this.

It occurred to me this morning that I gave a rather incomplete answer to why people do or are good. Love is the answer. Love of others, love of self.

Primates are social animals. Perhaps homo sapiens survived due, in part, to our ability to care for and about each other. A conscience is an integral part of positive social behavior.
2015-07-03 7:47 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Elite
Originally posted by Jackemy1

So how do you deal with religion?  When I think of the systematic abuses in the Catholic Church, and then the wars that have been fought over religion, and the outright hatred that religion seems to bring out in some people toward others who believe differently, I just can't deal with it at all.  In fact, it just feels wrong to me.

In the last hundred years religions with faith based in God has been rather tame in the slaughter of humanity compared to the religions with faith based in man.

Hitler, Stalin, Mao and their followers weren't very tolerant of those who believed differently.

To that, I put forth the phrase, "Gott Mit Uns."
In German, it means, "God With Us."

That's the phrase found imprinted on every member of the Nazi SS's belt buckle.
just sayin'.
2015-07-03 7:56 AM

User image

Elite

I don't have "faith" in my beliefs, I've looked at the evidence and made a decision.  Just like LB was saying earlier that has lead him to a slightly different decision. 

In some ways it's just semantics, but I always say that everyone has faith in something.  Even with scientific evidence you have to have faith in the process in order to believe in the conclusions of the scientist. 

The Big Bang theory is certainly the main theory of our origins out there now, but it's really nothing more than a theory of the evolution of the universe and in no way explains the origin (as in what caused the big bang).  Even within the Big Bang there are a lot of controversies and inconsistencies with observable Physics.
We're obviously here today and we obviously started somewhere, somehow but is it really that much of a stretch to say we were created out of nothing by some omnipotent being versus create out of nothing from nothing for no reason?  Both require faith to believe and both make no scientific sense.

As for faith in general we all have a desire to understand and live our lives to a core belief system.  You can have faith in our governmental system to live a law abiding life, you can have faith in a religious system and try to live your life by that code, or you can have faith in yourself and live a self centered rebellious life.
Either way, you have to have faith in something to live by it. 

That said Tony, if I'm a betting man forced to choose between an ever-improving (and always self-questioning) scientific process...versus choosing one of thousands of creation stories (that require adherents to ignore overwhelming scientific evidence based on ancient sacred texts)...I think I know which one I'm choosing.
That said, I still have a faith in something more...sure, it's kind of silly, but it's my belief...and it isn't pre-packaged dogma fed to me by other humans who wish to control my life and my actions.
just my 2 cents. (for which both atheists and religious folks can flame away at) aint easy being agnostic.
2015-07-03 9:53 AM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Originally posted by Jackemy1

So how do you deal with religion?  When I think of the systematic abuses in the Catholic Church, and then the wars that have been fought over religion, and the outright hatred that religion seems to bring out in some people toward others who believe differently, I just can't deal with it at all.  In fact, it just feels wrong to me.

In the last hundred years religions with faith based in God has been rather tame in the slaughter of humanity compared to the religions with faith based in man.

Hitler, Stalin, Mao and their followers weren't very tolerant of those who believed differently.

I wish that were true.

Some of the worst cases of discrimination, hate, killing, and war have a religious roots.

In my opinion it's a completely misguided way of having faith lead your life. Faith in God and faith in humanity are not separable, and those that are truly faithful want the best for the fellow humans.

2015-07-03 1:13 PM

Obviously there are plenty of "faith filled" people who are good and bad, but in my experience I typically see faith making people far better than they ever were before.

I do a lot of work with my church mentoring men and my wife and I mentor couples in crisis and I could spend hours telling you amazing stories of lives changing through faith.  One close friend of mine was a 5 time felon in and out of jail his whole life who turned his life around through faith.  He's now an extremely successful businessman father of 3 and sober for over 5 years.  
Another friend was a drug addicted murderer.  He spent 15 years in prison for slitting a guys throat over drugs.  He was pure evil!  He's now the worship director at one of the largest churches in Omaha and is married with 2 absolutely beautiful daughters.  He surrendered his life to faith and never looked back.

Faith isn't just about going to church and saying, whelp I have to live by all these rules now.  It's about accepting that there is a power greater than yourself and getting in touch with it. 

But the thing is, that every one of us has the ability to do good or bad. It's a choice. We make choices daily. Being a ''good'' person isn't about something outside of yourself. This is why atheists are just as capable of being generous, charitable and compassionate as a supposedly 'devout' Christian, for example. The difference is, that the Christian convinces him/herself that his/her motivation to do good, comes from a deity, whereas the atheist knows it's a choice. The Christian is doing good because he/she wishes to do good. It honestly has nothing to do with a deity, at all. But religious people convince themselves of this, for whatever the reasons. I followed Christianity for a while, and remember believing that everything 'good' that was happening in my life was because I believed in a deity. Because that deity was steering the ship, but in reality, the sum total of my own choices is what caused my life to have good things in it. This isn't to say there doesn't exist a deity, there might be one that does exist. But, I'm just saying that the ability to do good or bad is a choice, that exists in every single person. Atheist or believer. The atheist just admits it.
2015-07-03 1:32 PM
in reply to: SGirl

New user

But the thing is, that every one of us has the ability to do good or bad. It's a choice. We make choices daily. Being a ''good'' person isn't about something outside of yourself. This is why atheists are just as capable of being generous, charitable and compassionate as a supposedly 'devout' Christian, for example. The difference is, that the Christian convinces him/herself that his/her motivation to do good, comes from a deity, whereas the atheist knows it's a choice. The Christian is doing good because he/she wishes to do good. It honestly has nothing to do with a deity, at all. But religious people convince themselves of this, for whatever the reasons. I followed Christianity for a while, and remember believing that everything 'good' that was happening in my life was because I believed in a deity. Because that deity was steering the ship, but in reality, the sum total of my own choices is what caused my life to have good things in it. This isn't to say there doesn't exist a deity, there might be one that does exist. But, I'm just saying that the ability to do good or bad is a choice, that exists in every single person. Atheist or believer. The atheist just admits it.

Christians admit that too. Doing what is good or evil is a choice called free will.
2015-07-03 3:37 PM
in reply to: NXS

Originally posted by NXS

Christians admit that too. Doing what is good or evil is a choice called free will.
but why is it that often we hear religious people give credit to 'God' when things go right, but it's a person's fault (free will) if 'sins' are committed? Both are merely human choices, to do good or bad. People can believe anything they wish, but I left religion because it caused me to do just that...to give the credit to god when things went well and to wonder where God was, when things in the world aren't going right. When in reality, life is all the sum total of people's choices. But, everyone has to find the path that works for them. I just didn't see any benefit in putting my 'faith' in a fantasy life.
2015-07-03 7:20 PM
in reply to: 0

New user

Originally posted by NXS

but why is it that often we hear religious people give credit to 'God' when things go right, but it's a person's fault (free will) if 'sins' are committed? Both are merely human choices, to do good or bad. People can believe anything they wish, but I left religion because it caused me to do just that...to give the credit to god when things went well and to wonder where God was, when things in the world aren't going right. When in reality, life is all the sum total of people's choices. But, everyone has to find the path that works for them. I just didn't see any benefit in putting my 'faith' in a fantasy life.

The basic theological answer to your question deals with the origin of good and evil. Short answer, Christians believe that the origin of good was with God and we live in a fallen world so God is recognized as the source of good. The theology of good and evil has been written about since the 1st century so there is a lot of interesting thought on the subject. Do bad things happen to good people? Absolutely, but as Christ answers when asked by his disciples about whose sin caused a man's blindness, he replies no one. It had nothing to do with anyone's choices. There is a lot of bad theology out there when it comes to good and evil, and unfortunately it has caused many to believe that God doesn't care and like you, to leave the church. As I mentioned earlier, I have read and studied a great deal of theology and there is still much that remains and will always be a mystery to me. Peace.

Edited by NXS 2015-07-03 7:21 PM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Why is "faith" good Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

This is why regulations keep increasing

Started by JoshR
Views: 1052 Posts: 9

2013-12-20 11:39 AM pga_mike

'Create education better' to solve income inequality: Miss Utah Pages: 1 2

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 3068 Posts: 27

2013-06-21 2:28 PM switch

Best political news in awhile.

Started by ejshowers
Views: 1251 Posts: 10

2013-05-30 2:33 PM spudone

Catholics - Why do you do that? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by moondawg14
Views: 7068 Posts: 78

2013-05-01 4:53 PM Triguy67

Good news- Ricin letter sender caught

Started by gr33n
Views: 1651 Posts: 9

2013-04-28 8:41 AM ScudRunner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 0
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".