Other Resources The Political Joe » Why is "faith" good Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2015-06-19 11:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: Why is "faith" good

I always hear people praising others for having "faith."  Why is the purposeful suspension of critical thinking a good thing?

2015-06-19 12:32 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Buttercup
Subject: RE: Why is "faith" good
Because it gets people through the night. It anchors them. It lets them keep putting one foot in front of another.

Even a person of no faith can see the value of having faith. Just requires a bit of empathy, IMO.
2015-06-19 1:35 PM
in reply to: Renee

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Are you talking religious faith or humanistic faith?

Not being a very religious person, I can respect a person for believing in something, but when they believe in something without understanding that it is still up to them, there is a problem.

Humanistic Faith, or the belief that people will do the right thing, I think is more important.  Ultimately it is that faith that allows us to not live in fear of our fellow man.  It also allows us to work together and trust one another to get things done with positive results.

When someone becomes beholden to someone else (individual or group), then you can no longer trust them to do the right thing.  (Think Politics, Stockholders, charitable organizations, etc)  The problem here is that people are forced to put their beliefs or faith aside to appease someone else.

2015-06-20 11:44 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I think a secular version of faith is simple optimism--the belief that things will work out for the best, sometimes in spite of evidence to the contrary. I don't think there's any question that being generally optimistic is a good thing. One can have faith that good things will happen and still be prepared if they don't. I don't see those two things as contradictory.
2015-06-21 3:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Forgive me for indulging in some semantics.

I think maybe the OP is questioning why being a person of faith is considered "admirable". As an atheist I don't consider religious faith to be admirable. On the other hand I don't think it's something to be critical of. (Okay maybe I am critical of faith sometimes but I like to think that I generally judge people by their actions and not their beliefs.)

Saying that it helps people put one foot in front of another is an argument that faith is "useful". I don't see it as a reason to praise someone for having faith.

In this context I tend to see a distinction between faith and optimism. I think that faith relates to "belief" whereas optimism relates to "attitude". I like to think I'm an optimist but I don't see myself as a person of faith.

Don
2015-06-21 5:54 PM
in reply to: donw

User image

Because by its very nature faith is incredibly hard to have, and just like success In other areas of life you must work very hard to learn and maintain your faith. That is why people who have "little" faith admire those who have "greater" faith.

It is my experience that the people of truly great faith put more work into it than I do into HIM or marathon training, and that is admirable. Any person who works hard for their success in any aspect of life deserves my respect.

On a strictly temporal plane, my faith also encourages me to volunteer and help others whose living circumstances differ greatly than mine. Which in turn leads me to greater understanding of their circumstances, and a greater empathy. You may or may not consider that " good", I do. Thus living my faith leads me to be better man, just as exercise leads me to be a fitter man.

( People who serve their fellow men without the structure or promptings of faith are also worthy of great respect, and faith is not required to do so. )

2015-06-22 9:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by dmiller5

I always hear people praising others for having "faith."  Why is the purposeful suspension of critical thinking a good thing?

How is most everything that you hold to be true not a result of the faith in the assumptions that you made to rationalize that truth?

Edited by Jackemy1 2015-06-22 9:47 AM
2015-06-27 7:03 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Elite
Originally posted by Jackemy1

How is most everything that you hold to be true not a result of the faith in the assumptions that you made to rationalize that truth?

I'd imagine dmiller would put forth that the only things he'd hold to be true would be scientifically proven or so overwhelmingly likely based on the evidence available, that we can assume them to be true. In the latter, that would be a much smaller leap of faith than the faith required to believe in one of the many creation myths which have been put forth over thousands of years.

Personally, I'll admit it, faith in an after-life is ridiculous, but I hold out hope. Being ridiculous isn't all that bad...especially if you aren't pushing your agenda on anyone else. I just wish folks were more creative with their faiths. So many just blindly follow religious leaders who claim to have answers...answers that have been developed over the years (by humans, not a god or gods) to control peoples' lives. Humans are social creatures, so perhaps it's inevitable that they follow other charismatic leaders sacrificing what would have been a more personal faith for the more acceptable religions others developed and adhere to.

2015-06-27 10:51 AM

User image

Pro

I guess I'm always trying to figure out why we have a conscience if there is nothing after this.  My conscience pretty much drives the way I live my life.  It seems to me that would be a useless thing to have if there was nothing after this, or maybe my soul  learned other lessons along some journey.  I know that I really have no fear of death.  It's either nothing else so when the light's out it's out......or something else is coming and I'm good with seeing what that is.  I don't need faith.  I only have control over my own actions, nothing else. Conscience.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-06-27 10:54 AM
2015-06-27 11:20 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain

I guess I'm always trying to figure out why we have a conscience if there is nothing after this.  My conscience pretty much drives the way I live my life.  It seems to me that would be a useless thing to have if there was nothing after this, or maybe my soul  learned other lessons along some journey.  I know that I really have no fear of death.  It's either nothing else so when the light's out it's out......or something else is coming and I'm good with seeing what that is.  I don't need faith.  I only have control over my own actions, nothing else. Conscience.

I consider that a logical trap.  Just because you (we) can't explain something doesn't mean it becomes supernatural.  Our caveman ancestors didn't understand fire, or rivers, or the sun. They created deities and stories to explain them.  I think this is really cool and really great.  Where I take issue is when someone gets sick, or something bad happens and you hear this "I'll pray for you (them)" or "I have faith that everything will work out" 

Ok maybe it comforts you, I guess thats fine.  That doesn't make it real though. Things work out, or don't, based on things happening in the real world.  The sick get well because of their immune system and health care, not because some god waved his omnipotent hands.  When things appear miraculous, it seems overwhelmingly more likely that you just can't see the whole picture, or that the event was merely very improbable, not impossible as you had thought.

2015-06-27 11:36 AM

User image

Pro

I consider that a logical trap.  Just because you (we) can't explain something doesn't mean it becomes supernatural.  Our caveman ancestors didn't understand fire, or rivers, or the sun. They created deities and stories to explain them.  I think this is really cool and really great.  Where I take issue is when someone gets sick, or something bad happens and you hear this "I'll pray for you (them)" or "I have faith that everything will work out" 

Ok maybe it comforts you, I guess thats fine.  That doesn't make it real though. Things work out, or don't, based on things happening in the real world.  The sick get well because of their immune system and health care, not because some god waved his omnipotent hands.  When things appear miraculous, it seems overwhelmingly more likely that you just can't see the whole picture, or that the event was merely very improbable, not impossible as you had thought.

No, I don't ever see miracles, and I don't pray for people to get better, or have faith that they will.  I've seen hundreds of people die or been there in the immediate aftermath.  And I didn't say my conscience, or yours, was supernatural......of course it's not.  And it certainly isn't something I can't explain.  It's easy for me to explain my conscience.......and it continuously leads me to try to do the right thing, and it bothers me when I don't.  That's the part I can't explain.  Why do I have those feelings?  They certainly aren't necessary for survival. and my conscience serves no real purpose in getting me through to the next day......but like I said, it's the driving force in my life.  It's not a logical trap, it's a fact.  It tips the scale for me.......it gives me "probable cause" to believe there is something greater than this life.  It's not faith.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-06-27 11:40 AM

2015-06-27 11:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

No, I don't ever see miracles, and I don't pray for people to get better, or have faith that they will.  I've seen hundreds of people die or been there in the immediate aftermath.  And I didn't say my conscience, or yours, was supernatural......of course it's not.  And it certainly isn't something I can't explain.  It's easy for me to explain my conscience.......and it continuously leads me to try to do the right thing, and it bothers me when I don't.  That's the part I can't explain.  Why do I have those feelings?  They certainly aren't necessary for survival. and my conscience serves no real purpose in getting me through to the next day......but like I said, it's the driving force in my life.  It's not a logical trap, it's a fact.  It tips the scale for me.......it gives me "probable cause" to believe there is something greater than this life.  It's not faith.

Well if you have weighed the evidence and decided that one outcome is more likely than the other, we may disagree, but I wouldn't call the "faith" per se. That is reasoning. I consider faith to be along the lines of, there is no (or little) evidence for this, but i believe it because I have "faith."

2015-06-27 6:08 PM

New user
Faith is what gives me hope for tomorrow. My faith in God is what gives me the strength to do the things and go into the places to serve that I would rather choose to avoid. I just don't live it on Sunday mornings or when others may be watching, but it is the core of who I am. Whatever happens to me or my family, and much has, is o.k. Does it stop the pain? No, but it helps me understand what has happened and why. I have been honored to see miracles in my life and in those of others. Yes, things that cannot be explained through science. One involved my son who was T boned in an accident where his vehicle rolled several times. MRI showed internal bleeding and damaged liver and spleen. The next day he sat up in bed and said he felt good and was ready to go home. After the doctor examination with no pain experienced another MRI was ordered and no damage to the liver or spleen was detected. Many Docs came by to see him and had no explanation for what happened and he was released later that afternoon.
Miracles are not what gives me my faith though, it's the personal relationship with Christ who is with me always. I know that many here on this board believe they are too smart or enlightened to believe in "fairies or fantasies" and thats OK by me and will not change the way I feel. You can believe I am a simpleton or whatever and it bothers me not. I know what is real and who I serve.
2015-06-28 12:32 AM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Pro

Originally posted by NXS Faith is what gives me hope for tomorrow. My faith in God is what gives me the strength to do the things and go into the places to serve that I would rather choose to avoid. I just don't live it on Sunday mornings or when others may be watching, but it is the core of who I am. Whatever happens to me or my family, and much has, is o.k. Does it stop the pain? No, but it helps me understand what has happened and why. I have been honored to see miracles in my life and in those of others. Yes, things that cannot be explained through science. One involved my son who was T boned in an accident where his vehicle rolled several times. MRI showed internal bleeding and damaged liver and spleen. The next day he sat up in bed and said he felt good and was ready to go home. After the doctor examination with no pain experienced another MRI was ordered and no damage to the liver or spleen was detected. Many Docs came by to see him and had no explanation for what happened and he was released later that afternoon. Miracles are not what gives me my faith though, it's the personal relationship with Christ who is with me always. I know that many here on this board believe they are too smart or enlightened to believe in "fairies or fantasies" and thats OK by me and will not change the way I feel. You can believe I am a simpleton or whatever and it bothers me not. I know what is real and who I serve.

I admire you.  I think it's possible that you have a greater understanding than I do. In fact, it'd be good with me if you did. 

It doesn't really matter how your son recovered.....but I'm glad he did!

2015-06-28 7:41 AM

New user

Originally posted by NXS Faith is what gives me hope for tomorrow. My faith in God is what gives me the strength to do the things and go into the places to serve that I would rather choose to avoid. I just don't live it on Sunday mornings or when others may be watching, but it is the core of who I am. Whatever happens to me or my family, and much has, is o.k. Does it stop the pain? No, but it helps me understand what has happened and why. I have been honored to see miracles in my life and in those of others. Yes, things that cannot be explained through science. One involved my son who was T boned in an accident where his vehicle rolled several times. MRI showed internal bleeding and damaged liver and spleen. The next day he sat up in bed and said he felt good and was ready to go home. After the doctor examination with no pain experienced another MRI was ordered and no damage to the liver or spleen was detected. Many Docs came by to see him and had no explanation for what happened and he was released later that afternoon. Miracles are not what gives me my faith though, it's the personal relationship with Christ who is with me always. I know that many here on this board believe they are too smart or enlightened to believe in "fairies or fantasies" and thats OK by me and will not change the way I feel. You can believe I am a simpleton or whatever and it bothers me not. I know what is real and who I serve.

I admire you.  I think it's possible that you have a greater understanding than I do. In fact, it'd be good with me if you did. 

The older I get and the more I experience, I realize how very little I understand.

2015-06-28 12:16 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by NXS

The older I get and the more I experience, I realize how very little I understand.

So how do you deal with religion?  When I think of the systematic abuses in the Catholic Church, and then the wars that have been fought over religion, and the outright hatred that religion seems to bring out in some people toward others who believe differently, I just can't deal with it at all.  In fact, it just feels wrong to me.

2015-06-28 6:19 PM

New user

Originally posted by NXS

So how do you deal with religion?  When I think of the systematic abuses in the Catholic Church, and then the wars that have been fought over religion, and the outright hatred that religion seems to bring out in some people toward others who believe differently, I just can't deal with it at all.  In fact, it just feels wrong to me.

Let me say first and foremost that I am not trying to defend any sinful actions. For me, denominations within the Christian faith are institutions run by man who is not perfect (sinful) and therefore will imperfect. The actions you mentioned, for the most part, were carried out by leaders. Those who preach hate and intolerance and ignore Christ's greatest command, just as leaders who ignored abusive actions of clergy will have to answer to God. In spite of all of that, I focus on the church as the body of Christ of which we are members with different gifts to live and serve as Jesus did. Not an easy task, but one through prayer and obedience I try to live. For all of the terrible people we may read about or come into contact with, there are many more who sacrifice self and serve their fellow man in Christ. There is a great amount of good done world wide by Christian individuals, churches, and even denominations that we may not always agree with. I guess in a similar way, I don't discount the police worldwide for the actions of a few. Again, for me, it is about a personal God and serving in His name in my little corner of the world. I left the denomination I grew up in a few years ago because of a change in doctrine that was contrary to scripture. I was angry and it was eating me up. Only forgiveness through prayer, got me past the anger I felt. I wish I could sit down and talk with you to explain all the theology on sin, forgiveness, suffering, etc. I had to work out to get me where I am (which isn't very far). There were times when I lost faith in the church and my fellow man, but my faith in Christ was constant.
2015-06-28 10:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

so what did christ do to deserve such faith

2015-06-29 7:11 AM

New user

so what did christ do to deserve such faith

The short answer is that He became man and suffered a brutal death on a cross because he loves me/us.

2015-06-29 9:00 AM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

I'd imagine dmiller would put forth that the only things he'd hold to be true would be scientifically proven or so overwhelmingly likely based on the evidence available, that we can assume them to be true. In the latter, that would be a much smaller leap of faith than the faith required to believe in one of the many creation myths which have been put forth over thousands of years.

Personally, I'll admit it, faith in an after-life is ridiculous, but I hold out hope. Being ridiculous isn't all that bad...especially if you aren't pushing your agenda on anyone else. I just wish folks were more creative with their faiths. So many just blindly follow religious leaders who claim to have answers...answers that have been developed over the years (by humans, not a god or gods) to control peoples' lives. Humans are social creatures, so perhaps it's inevitable that they follow other charismatic leaders sacrificing what would have been a more personal faith for the more acceptable religions others developed and adhere to.

Have you or dmiller ever seen observed a rock evolve into a protein?

I will assume that dmiller believes we only exist by random chance. It is virtually impossible to assign any amount of probability that non living primordial ooze turned into living protein. But I think we all agree that the odds are unimaginably small. Science has also calculated the odds that the planet can support life a close to zero and combined with the odds that the big bang actual can form a universe probably made the chance that primordial ooze being around to morph into a living protein impossible.

Yet it occurred.

I think that there is an argument that it takes a greater leap of faith that we are here by chance than it does that there was some intelligence behind the whole thing.

2015-06-29 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I'd imagine dmiller would put forth that the only things he'd hold to be true would be scientifically proven or so overwhelmingly likely based on the evidence available, that we can assume them to be true. In the latter, that would be a much smaller leap of faith than the faith required to believe in one of the many creation myths which have been put forth over thousands of years. Personally, I'll admit it, faith in an after-life is ridiculous, but I hold out hope. Being ridiculous isn't all that bad...especially if you aren't pushing your agenda on anyone else. I just wish folks were more creative with their faiths. So many just blindly follow religious leaders who claim to have answers...answers that have been developed over the years (by humans, not a god or gods) to control peoples' lives. Humans are social creatures, so perhaps it's inevitable that they follow other charismatic leaders sacrificing what would have been a more personal faith for the more acceptable religions others developed and adhere to.
Have you or dmiller ever seen observed a rock evolve into a protein? I will assume that dmiller believes we only exist by random chance. It is virtually impossible to assign any amount of probability that non living primordial ooze turned into living protein. But I think we all agree that the odds are unimaginably small. Science has also calculated the odds that the planet can support life a close to zero and combined with the odds that the big bang actual can form a universe probably made the chance that primordial ooze being around to morph into a living protein impossible. Yet it occurred. I think that there is an argument that it takes a greater leap of faith that we are here by chance than it does that there was some intelligence behind the whole thing.

It is difficult to have this conversation when you don't have an understanding of Abiogenesis, but it isn't as "improbable" as you suggest.  Far more probable than a superbeing that of all things in the universe has decided that killing its own son and bringing it back to life and killin it again is the most important thing it has to do........  I mean its nice to have a catch all of well god can do anything, therefore it explains everything, but really that is a pretty unsatisfying answer.

would also like to note, that just because we can't explain it, or it is improbable, doesn't mean it didn't happen or "god did it"

if you're interested in an explanation: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/abioprob.html

2015-06-29 10:05 AM

User image

In the last hundred years religions with faith based in God has been rather tame in the slaughter of humanity compared to the religions with faith based in man.

Hitler, Stalin, Mao and their followers weren't very tolerant of those who believed differently.

2015-06-29 10:49 AM

User image

Pro

In the last hundred years religions with faith based in God has been rather tame in the slaughter of humanity compared to the religions with faith based in man. Hitler, Stalin, Mao and their followers weren't very tolerant of those who believed differently.

I get your point, but you have to admit that lately no religion is very tolerant of others.  I hear people say that we have to quit looking at the people on the "radical" side of their respective religions, but really, I see that as a crock of BS since people who are not on the radical end of their religious beliefs don't seem to do much to get in the way of the hatred.  And I'm including ALL religions in that idea, not just radical Muslims, Christians, etc.

2015-06-29 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

In the last hundred years religions with faith based in God has been rather tame in the slaughter of humanity compared to the religions with faith based in man. Hitler, Stalin, Mao and their followers weren't very tolerant of those who believed differently.

I get your point, but you have to admit that lately no religion is very tolerant of others.  I hear people say that we have to quit looking at the people on the "radical" side of their respective religions, but really, I see that as a crock of BS since people who are not on the radical end of their religious beliefs don't seem to do much to get in the way of the hatred.  And I'm including ALL religions in that idea, not just radical Muslims, Christians, etc.

Also, whether or not they do bad things, doesn't change whether or not some kind of god does or doesn't exist.  They could all be the nicest people and be completely wrong, or terrible and be right.

2015-06-29 12:06 PM

User image

I'd imagine dmiller would put forth that the only things he'd hold to be true would be scientifically proven or so overwhelmingly likely based on the evidence available, that we can assume them to be true. In the latter, that would be a much smaller leap of faith than the faith required to believe in one of the many creation myths which have been put forth over thousands of years. Personally, I'll admit it, faith in an after-life is ridiculous, but I hold out hope. Being ridiculous isn't all that bad...especially if you aren't pushing your agenda on anyone else. I just wish folks were more creative with their faiths. So many just blindly follow religious leaders who claim to have answers...answers that have been developed over the years (by humans, not a god or gods) to control peoples' lives. Humans are social creatures, so perhaps it's inevitable that they follow other charismatic leaders sacrificing what would have been a more personal faith for the more acceptable religions others developed and adhere to.
Have you or dmiller ever seen observed a rock evolve into a protein? I will assume that dmiller believes we only exist by random chance. It is virtually impossible to assign any amount of probability that non living primordial ooze turned into living protein. But I think we all agree that the odds are unimaginably small. Science has also calculated the odds that the planet can support life a close to zero and combined with the odds that the big bang actual can form a universe probably made the chance that primordial ooze being around to morph into a living protein impossible. Yet it occurred. I think that there is an argument that it takes a greater leap of faith that we are here by chance than it does that there was some intelligence behind the whole thing.

It is difficult to have this conversation when you don't have an understanding of Abiogenesis, but it isn't as "improbable" as you suggest.  Far more probable than a superbeing that of all things in the universe has decided that killing its own son and bringing it back to life and killin it again is the most important thing it has to do........  I mean its nice to have a catch all of well god can do anything, therefore it explains everything, but really that is a pretty unsatisfying answer.

would also like to note, that just because we can't explain it, or it is improbable, doesn't mean it didn't happen or "god did it"

if you're interested in an explanation: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/abioprob.html

You are going with the "You are not educated enough to understand" argument? Give me a break. While I do understand the theory it really doesn't matter.Our debate is a philosophical one on the virtue of faith in either men or god and not a scientific one.

"would also like to note, that just because we can't explain it, or it is improbable, doesn't mean it didn't happen or "god did it""

It also doesn't mean that god didn't do it. But your statement sounds like it spoken from an individual of deep faith in his atheistic beliefs ....doesn't it? I find the comment interesting coming from someone who has evolved from the horribly primitive concept of faith.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Why is "faith" good Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

This is why regulations keep increasing

Started by JoshR
Views: 1052 Posts: 9

2013-12-20 11:39 AM pga_mike

'Create education better' to solve income inequality: Miss Utah Pages: 1 2

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 3068 Posts: 27

2013-06-21 2:28 PM switch

Best political news in awhile.

Started by ejshowers
Views: 1252 Posts: 10

2013-05-30 2:33 PM spudone

Catholics - Why do you do that? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by moondawg14
Views: 7069 Posts: 78

2013-05-01 4:53 PM Triguy67

Good news- Ricin letter sender caught

Started by gr33n
Views: 1652 Posts: 9

2013-04-28 8:41 AM ScudRunner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 0
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".