Canada
World Endurance Canada
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 40m 49s
Overall Rank = 284/407
Age Group = 45-50
Age Group Rank = 13/20
Pre-race routine:

I'll start the report by stating that I'm a bit of a goof. I decided to race Guelph again to see if I had improved from last year. I honestly believed I would smash last year's time. I have no clue why I thought this. For some reason I felt stronger. When I saw my race time it was such a buzz kill but having just now compared the amount of training I did this year to last year it comes as NO surprise. There is NO significant difference between my training this year and last year. In total I swam less, ran only 2 hours more, and I added some indoor cycling which only amounted to +12 hours. Not significant.... at all.

We had a house warming dinner last night that ran late so I scurried around at 10:30pm and packed my things. II wasn't sure if I was going to go to this race because the weather report said there were to be thunderstorms from 9-11am and I'm a fair weather triathlete these days but I when I woke this morning it looked nice so I decided to go for it. Had some breakfast and began my journey. Registered on site and got ready and headed for the lake.
Event warmup:

Swam a bit and got used to my wetsuit. Water temp was nice. Sun was up and shining.
Swim
  • 17m 39s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 21s / 100 meters
Comments:

Last year I seeded myself in the middle and got boxed in by swimmers and couldn't get free so this time I went to the far left and to the front. When the horn sounded I ran and then dolphin dived and swam fast. No one touched or passed me that was close by.

I felt I had a really solid swim. I felt I glided. I didn't stray off course (like last year) and caught up to the slower swimmers from the wave ahead of me. I swam until my fingers touched the sand and then ran out of the water.

I wasn't quite sure where the timing mat was and so when I passed under the arch I slowed my run pace up the hill and even stopped and walked the steeper part.
What would you do differently?:

I wish I had brought my finger counter to time myself. I really thought I had a solid swim but with the transition run included there's no way of knowing.

Definitely a different group of racers. Last year I emerged in the middle of the pack for my age group and this year I was third one out of the water and in the top quarter overall
Transition 1
  • 03m 35s
Bike
  • 46m 43s
  • 19 kms
  • 24.40 km/hr
Comments:

I suck! I struggled the first half riding in to the headwind... my quads burned on the uphills. I hated how bumpy the side of the road was... nervous my tire would slip in to a groove and I would wipe out. It took me about 10K before I started feeling good..
What would you do differently?:

Ride more hills. I trained 12 hours more than last year and there was relatively no difference.
Transition 2
  • 02m 49s
Run
  • 30m 2s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 01s  min/km
Comments:

Pushed the pace never allowing myself to get comfortable. Broke the run in to segments and told myself "You can endure anything for 6 minutes... run run run".
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and looked at the offerings. Drove to my Mom's for a shower and a visit before heading home.

Event comments:

Not crazy about the road conditions for the bike but all else is great.

Last updated: 2015-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:39 | 750 meters | 02m 21s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/20
Overall: 0/407
Performance: Good
Suit: Nineteen Long Sleeved
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:43 | 19 kms | 24.40 km/hr
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 271/407
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:02 | 05 kms | 06m 01s  min/km
Age Group: 13/20
Overall: 284/407
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-06-21 6:17 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: Guelph Lake I - Sprint Triathlon

2015-06-22 10:59 AM
in reply to: #5123880

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Guelph Lake I - Sprint Triathlon

Hey! Good job out there. Despite your own expectations, you still had an awesome race - it's a pretty amazing thing to do some training and decide to do a tri one day! 

Anyway, i remember the Guelph roads being bumpy the last time i did it - it felt dangerous at some points just to take a drink! 

You rock! You'll be able to smash your time another day ... it will happen! 

2015-06-27 6:24 PM
in reply to: #5123880

User image

Subject: RE: Guelph Lake I - Sprint Triathlon

Great job Marcia.  You swam well, kept the bike upright, and gutted it out on the run.  You are a TRI-ROCK STAR!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Guelph Lake I - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Guelph Lake Weekend - Sprint Triathlon

Started by jknapman
Views: 2058 Posts: 3

2007-06-26 8:29 AM CalgaryRunner

Started by gasping
Views: 1549 Posts: 4

2007-06-26 5:58 AM KRCSWO

Started by bwhite
Views: 1869 Posts: 1

2006-07-15 5:42 PM bwhite

Started by m3fraser
Views: 1713 Posts: 1

2006-06-25 1:57 PM m3fraser

Started by bwhite
Views: 1499 Posts: 1

2006-06-04 6:51 PM bwhite
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.