General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Syracuse 70.3 medals - huh? it's not Syracuse... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-22 12:02 PM

Subject: Syracuse 70.3 medals - huh? it's not Syracuse...
This is a big mistake by some WTC underling...i know we all like to rip on WTC for various errors and things, but this shouldn't be one of them.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2015/06/oopsy_syracuse_ironm...

2015-06-22 2:16 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

Subject: RE: Syracuse 70.3 medals - huh? it's not Syracuse...
Originally posted by LarchmontTri

This is a big mistake by some WTC underling...i know we all like to rip on WTC for various errors and things, but this shouldn't be one of them.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2015/06/oopsy_syracuse_ironm...

now that I've had some caffeine, I just re-read my earlier post, and realise that I need to clarify the last part. I was attempting to say that we like to rip on WTC for various things, and the Syr 70.3 finisher's medal should be added to the list of reasons to do so. Doesn't the local organizing group see the design of the finisher's medal before they're made? Getting the skyline wrong for a city in which you race is just a sloppy mistake, and perhaps shows the the lack of quality/attention to detail by WTC and the local organizing committee. Long story short, this kind of mistake shouldn't happen, and is just embarrassing for WTC and the local organizing committee.
2015-06-22 3:19 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
If I didn't come across this post I would never have known…

For a local racing that might be frustrating, from a tourist maybe not.

I live in Madison, if they did this for the race here I probably still wouldn't care, but I don't put much, if any, value in medals.

All I really care about is:

Safe course
Fun
Organization
Challenge
Competitive race

To each their own. What bothers some might not bother others.

But yes that is an error on their part. What do you think is the proper remedy on WTC's behalf for this? Does one exist?
2015-06-22 3:50 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Meh, I have a hard time getting upset about this.  People make mistakes.  In the scheme of things if a race provides what Ben offers, I'm good.  The medal snafu would just be something to laugh over over a post-race beer (if I had even noticed)

2015-06-22 4:45 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

You're right, it's not something to get upset about, but as a local Syracuse kid, it would be "nice" if WTC/the local organizing committee would get that right. Putting on a good and safe event is clearly more important, but having another city's skyline on the medal this year when they had it correct last year does me wonder if there are other details that they overlooked.
2015-06-23 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by LarchmontTri

You're right, it's not something to get upset about, but as a local Syracuse kid, it would be "nice" if WTC/the local organizing committee would get that right. Putting on a good and safe event is clearly more important, but having another city's skyline on the medal this year when they had it correct last year does me wonder if there are other details that they overlooked.

Yeah like I said, it might be more offensive or frustrating to locals, again all individual. I agree it would be nice too.

What else did they miss? I bet they missed something, but if you didn't notice it probably isn't a big deal.

I have put together races before, lots of logistics to battle around, many people do not know what goes on behind the scenes. For example, I missed having a pointer in a specific location on a course before, nobody noticed and no one went off course.

2015-06-23 11:39 AM

As a professional organization that loves to claim, "It's a business" really needs to pay attention to these details. how does one make such a mistake? if it were a non-profit and they were relying on the aid of volunteers, it would be excusable. But a worldwide organization making millions a year, such a mistake tells me the quality is already slipping as it focuses on making money and taking over the world while ignoring the details of the races themselves. I have come to depend on Ironman for its safe, well-supported races. I hope this is simply a bump, and now indeed a sign of things to come.
2015-06-24 12:19 AM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Dutchcrush

As a professional organization that loves to claim, "It's a business" really needs to pay attention to these details. how does one make such a mistake? if it were a non-profit and they were relying on the aid of volunteers, it would be excusable. But a worldwide organization making millions a year, such a mistake tells me the quality is already slipping as it focuses on making money and taking over the world while ignoring the details of the races themselves. I have come to depend on Ironman for its safe, well-supported races. I hope this is simply a bump, and now indeed a sign of things to come.

If I recall correctly they had shirts the read the distances incorrect a few years ago. I would say the quality as a whole has been consistent, if not, a bit better from WTC then it was 3 years ago. I doubt a small mistake such as this, that most likely in fact is the RD's fault or whoever within the race production, not specifically Ironman's would be a sign of things to come.
2015-06-29 10:50 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pennsylvania

I saw an article somewhere that mentioned they will be making new medals with the correct skyline and sending them out to all finishers.

2015-06-29 3:39 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by melbo55

I saw an article somewhere that mentioned they will be making new medals with the correct skyline and sending them out to all finishers.

Awesome, WTC fixes their mistake, weird how I hear so much about their blunder, but so little about the follow up. Some people just love to have WTC.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Syracuse 70.3 medals - huh? it's not Syracuse... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Syracuse 70.3

Started by MKarp
Views: 1495 Posts: 8

2013-02-10 12:43 AM drdking

Patriot Half or Syracuse 70.3

Started by elbi999
Views: 2975 Posts: 17

2011-10-07 1:27 PM jeeper9281

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse - anybody in?

Started by Plissken74
Views: 1609 Posts: 5

2011-05-06 4:09 PM Plissken74

syracuse 70.3

Started by royhobbs
Views: 1079 Posts: 4

2010-09-17 12:54 PM hockeyhands

Timberman or Syracuse 70.3?

Started by Trinotdo
Views: 968 Posts: 2

2010-07-29 8:43 AM acumenjay
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?