General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race in 3 Weeks and Recent Shoulder Injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-22 4:01 PM

New user

Subject: Race in 3 Weeks and Recent Shoulder Injury
I am signed up for my first iron distance triathlon in three weeks. For the most part, training has been going pretty well until yesterday when I fell off my bike going over some wet railroad tracks on the last mile of a 108 mile ride. I think my left shoulder took the brunt of the fall, but my left leg is also scraped up pretty well, too. Immediately after, my shoulder was sore, but I had okay range of motion. However since I've woken up this morning my shoulder hurts when I move it across my body or in an uppercut like motion.

I spoke with an ER doc in passing (I'm a med student, so there's a lot of doctors floating around the hospital!) who told me it's my acromioclavicular joint ligaments that are bothering me and recommended putting my arm in a sling, taking Aleve, and icing it. I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow morning to take a better look at it, but I am freaking out about my race that is now less than three weeks away. I was planning on another week of hard training and then tapering for the two weeks before the race.

Obviously, I'll wait to hear what the doctor says, but does anyone have any advice on recovering from or treating this sort of injury? Is rest, sleeping a ton, and ibuprofen the best thing I can do, or is there some type of crosstraining I could do that won't aggravate it so I can maintain my fitness? I was thinking maybe a recumbent exercise bike might not affect it, and mentally it's killing me not to do anything! Thanks for your input, and ride safe out there!

2015-06-23 10:37 AM
in reply to: hanmeg03

, Idaho
Subject: RE: Race in 3 Weeks and Recent Shoulder Injury
I've injured my shoulder crashing the bike before. My injury was more severe than yours. I could train as much as a could handle the pain, and I took an anti inflammatory consistently

Rest is very important, but not rest as in "sleeping a ton" only, but rest as in "rest your shoulder and don't put any un needed pressure on it." Don't over work the shoulder.

800 mg of Ibuprofen 3x a day is the prescription for ortho shoulder injuries. You probably don't need that much, but even if you don't feel pain currently the medicine will act as an anti inflammatory and help get you back.

Exercise Possibilities - Easy jog, Walk, aqua running or deep water work, bike trainer while sitting up with hands off bars, Exercise bike at the gym with a seat back, etc.
2015-06-23 10:48 PM
in reply to: hanmeg03

Eh, your going to be sore. . .that's a given. Try going for a swim or a bike and see what happens. You might be able to just work through it and it'll heal up on it's own.
2015-06-24 10:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
My brother just had a baaaad crash and completely shattered his clavicle. Though he broke the clavicle into 4 pieces, the acromioclavicular ligament remained undamaged and if you saw how the pieces broke and moved you'd be amazed that that ligament didn't tear. How'd the doc immediately know it was this ligament? When you crashed, was your arm extended from your body or elbow at side and you slammed the deltoid into the ground? You're in a hospital....did you get an x ray?

Edited by TJHammer 2015-06-24 10:33 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race in 3 Weeks and Recent Shoulder Injury Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Weird recent experience (injury oriented).

Started by Tom Demerly.
Views: 1307 Posts: 15

2011-07-01 8:20 AM buscha

Shoulder injury from swimming??

Started by DirkP
Views: 700 Posts: 7

2011-02-13 7:29 AM DirkP

Aerobars and shoulder injuries

Started by heisenbeis
Views: 1256 Posts: 8

2010-10-13 10:26 PM heisenbeis

Shoulder injury prevention

Started by opeleroy
Views: 4919 Posts: 6

2011-07-11 7:30 AM TriMyBest

Possible Shoulder Injury - ??

Started by SwmBkRn
Views: 874 Posts: 8

2004-12-21 11:34 AM SwmBkRn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery
date : October 4, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
For a pro, racing when you aren't 100% is counterproductive.

date : August 15, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
Kyle looks back, halfway through his second pro season.
date : October 2, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 9
Poor swim technique, overtraining, unilateral breathing, overuse of training equipment all can cause swimmer's shoulder. Read how to avoid injury and strengthen your muscles.

date : February 21, 2007
Here’s a review of three common injuries in triathletes and a brief review of what to do if you experience one of these injuries: Runner’s Knee, Achilles Tendonitis and Swimmers Shoulder.
date : April 9, 2005
Differentiating between the different causes of rotator cuff-related pain is not important initially, because primary treatment for all of them is the same.

date : October 24, 2004
author : infosteward
As triathletes, we’re lucky enough to worry not about just one injury but many. Most of these injuries will be common overuse injuries.