General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Multi-sport vs. run watch Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-23 9:51 PM

User image

Subject: Multi-sport vs. run watch

Greetings.  I've been wanting a GPS watch for some time and am thinking it might be time to pull the trigger.  My biggest question is, as the subject states, multi-sport vs. run watch?  Currently, I use a Timex Ironman watch while swimming.  I do nearly no open water swim training as I'm absolutely comfortable with it.  I use a cheap HR monitor watch when running and map my run post workout on the interweb.  For cycling, I use the same watch for HR and timing, a CatEye Strada for cadence/time/distance, as well as Endomondo on my phone.    During races, I use the Timex and utilize the lap functionality to track the stages.  I am a gadget geek, but don't know if I'd really utilize the added swim metrics a multi-sport offers.  My price range would be <$250.  I am a frequent visitor to DC Rainmaker's site, so am fairly well-versed in what's available.  Thoughts?

As a related aside, I run into issues with HR monitor straps dropping signal intermittently as well as sliding down.  Has anyone had any experience/luck with the TomTom cardio models?  Thanks all!

2015-06-23 11:45 PM
in reply to: #5124425

User image

Subject: RE: Multi-sport vs. run watch
I really like my Garmin 910xt, which you can get now for a good price because it's one model behind.

If you don't like the chest HR straps I highly recommend the Mio Link wrist strap which reads your HR optically. Signal quality doesn't rely on a bioelectrical signal like a chest strap. I find it to be very reliable and accurate as long as you wear it tight enough to block out ambient light.

Some of the TomTom watches have the optical HRM built in, but I haven't heard great things about those watches.

Personally I will wait till Garmin comes out with a multisport watch which has an optical HRM, but this won't come in at under about $600.
2015-06-24 5:20 AM
in reply to: #5124441

At that price, Garmin 910xt is your best bet. Garmin Fenix 2 if you can find it on sale. Watch for July 4th sales. Even cheaper Garmin 310xt if you don't care about lap pool tracking. Suunto Ambit 2s. Definitely check eBay for refurbished.
2015-06-24 7:25 AM
in reply to: #5124452

User image

I have TomTom multisport. GPS is good (better than my phone with endomondo). Pace while actively running is useless. I don't use the HR function. No triathlon mode for race. Prob not what you are looking for.
2015-06-24 7:46 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I love my suunto ambit 2s! Brand new its really close to your budget and it will do everything you want with no need for your phone. The online site is awesome for it, and you can easily program your schedule into it so it will tell you each day what you are doing. If you have questions about it let PM me.
2015-06-24 10:04 AM
in reply to: dbrook1

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I have a very basic Timex Easy Trainer GPS watch ($80)  that I use for run training.  I use my Cateye on the bike and the pace clock at the pool.

I'll wear the Easy Trainer for running races.  

For triathlons I just a wear a basic $40 Timex Ironman watch to track my splits and use the interval time function for my Gallwoay run/walk intervals.

I used to have a Timex Ironman HRM, but have moved away from HR training and now go mostly by RPE.

Pretty basic & old school, but works for me.

Mark

2015-06-24 10:04 AM

User image

DC
Vivoactive has my vote!
2015-06-24 3:44 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Thank you all for your responses.  I know there have been numerous "which watch should I get" threads so I was trying to avoid that and look more to the generalities of which type would work for my needs.  I guess I was asking more for thoughts about whether, for my usage/circumstances, y'all thought a run GPS watch would be sufficient (thereby saving me some $$$), or that I'd miss the functionality that comes with a multi-sport.  Again, thanks!

2015-06-24 3:56 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I never got into the multisport watch and basically do the same as you.  But, to hep with your question, here are a few ways that come to mind in which the multisport watch would help:

1.  I think some models will track your cadence in the pool.  That might be a useful metric?  I also read DC Rainmakers blog, so I remember some cool features in his reviews even for pool swims.

2.  You can still wear the same watch from start to finish on the race - you will have a ton of new data, too.

I personally just stick with the Timex method for races.   Much cheaper and don't have to be so vigilant about charging things.   I also have a bike computer and wear a GPS watch for run training and during standalone run races.  I wouldn't bother with that in a tri.    I am really only interested in the richer data with the running watch, so that allows me to upgrade more frequently and only based on run needs.   I don' t bother with HRM either.

2015-06-24 4:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by dbrook1

Thank you all for your responses.  I know there have been numerous "which watch should I get" threads so I was trying to avoid that and look more to the generalities of which type would work for my needs.  I guess I was asking more for thoughts about whether, for my usage/circumstances, y'all thought a run GPS watch would be sufficient (thereby saving me some $$$), or that I'd miss the functionality that comes with a multi-sport.  Again, thanks!

I just like having all my data in one place-- swim data and splits, run splits, etc, total distance and time, etc. And I also get daily activity tracking data from my Garmin vivosmart. Eventually I'll have just one device, that does both workouts and daily activity tracking.

A more serious cyclist might miss having a dedicated bike computer mounted to their bike (you can mount the 910xt, but I don't do that, and it's still not as good as a stand-alone bike computer). But I don't do a lot of cycling other than commuting.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2015-06-24 4:57 PM
2015-06-24 5:05 PM

User image

Post Falls, Idaho
If all you care about is run times, a run watch is fine.... But, you're not just a runner, you're a triathlete and you have enough budget to get a 910 with HR, bike cadence/speed, and a foot pod if you want and you'll have all your data in one spot. You might not miss it until you have it, then I doubt you'd want it any other way... coming from another 910 owner. I really like having every feature on mine and the ability to gather meaningful data from each sport. FWIW, the Garmin chest straps are much better than the Polar chest straps in my experience. I used to always have trouble with Polar straps but my Garmin strap always works.

2015-06-24 5:11 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

I just like having all my data in one place-- swim data and splits, run splits, etc, total distance and time, etc. And I also get daily activity tracking data from my Garmin vivosmart. Eventually I'll have just one device, that does both workouts and daily activity tracking. A more serious cyclist might miss having a dedicated bike computer mounted to their bike (you can mount the 910xt, but I don't do that, and it's still not as good as a stand-alone bike computer). But I don't do a lot of cycling other than commuting.

I'm one of the ones that likes separate devices. 

Nothing in the pool (or some sort of stopwatch if there's no pool clock)

Joule on the bike

Garmin 220 on the run.

To me, it's simpler. But I think a lot of people feel the opposite

2015-06-24 6:41 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

I just like having all my data in one place-- swim data and splits, run splits, etc, total distance and time, etc. And I also get daily activity tracking data from my Garmin vivosmart. Eventually I'll have just one device, that does both workouts and daily activity tracking. A more serious cyclist might miss having a dedicated bike computer mounted to their bike (you can mount the 910xt, but I don't do that, and it's still not as good as a stand-alone bike computer). But I don't do a lot of cycling other than commuting.

I'm one of the ones that likes separate devices. 

Nothing in the pool (or some sort of stopwatch if there's no pool clock)

Joule on the bike

Garmin 220 on the run.

To me, it's simpler. But I think a lot of people feel the opposite

The world would certainly be boring if we all had the same opinion of these things.

It certainly is just a matter of preference.
2015-06-24 7:06 PM
in reply to: #5124425

For me, I don't mind separate devices during training. Come race day I want my multisport watch on my wrist from swim through the end of the race.
2015-06-24 8:36 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

Originally posted by TriTampa2 For me, I don't mind separate devices during training. Come race day I want my multisport watch on my wrist from swim through the end of the race.

To clarify, I currently only use one watch during a race (the Timex).  Even if I went with a run watch, I still would not be changing watches during a race---I waste plenty of time as it is, no need to waste more. 

2015-06-25 6:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
If you want a run watch the garmin 220 is hard to beat. It has a long battery life to boot. It all comes down to if you want a multisport watch or not. I still use and like my Garmin FR60!

2015-06-25 7:50 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Having a GPS watch vs a simple Timex type of thing was a step I took a couple years ago. I went with a multisport model, and I'm glad I did. I put it on the bike and pair it with a cadence/speed sensor. I don't use a HRM, but I could pair with that if/when I start to use that. I don't use a PM, but like the HRM, I could with the watch I have. Foot Pod, yeah the same there.

I got a refurbished model from Amazon and it has served me well and gives me the opportunity to grow into more stuff as well. I think the versatily is well worth it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Multi-sport vs. run watch Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New TomTom Multi-sport Watch

Started by dbilek
Views: 3275 Posts: 14

2014-01-08 6:47 PM zedzded

This is promising: TomTom Multi-Sport Tri-Watch

Started by Carrick1973
Views: 5175 Posts: 25

2013-04-18 4:25 PM davidfedez

Multisport GPS Training watch Garmin vs. Magellan