General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Week of sprint race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-24 8:54 AM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: Week of sprint race
The week of a sprint I typically do a regular workout Tuesday, then something easy Wednesday with some short hard efforts. Take off Thursday, a few minutes of each sport on Friday, race Saturday.

So I was thinking about doing a race Saturday but I had a bad run Sunday so I didn't know how ready I was. So today I did a 20 min bike with a couple short hard efforts and then ran 3.5 miles. I wanted to test myself so I ran at about race pace for almost 2 of those miles. Felt great which gives me confidence but now I'm wondering if that was too much since the race is Saturday? Do you think that would impact my race Saturday if I took it easy the next couple days?

2015-06-24 10:07 AM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Week of sprint race

Originally posted by mchadcota2 The week of a sprint I typically do a regular workout Tuesday, then something easy Wednesday with some short hard efforts. Take off Thursday, a few minutes of each sport on Friday, race Saturday. So I was thinking about doing a race Saturday but I had a bad run Sunday so I didn't know how ready I was. So today I did a 20 min bike with a couple short hard efforts and then ran 3.5 miles. I wanted to test myself so I ran at about race pace for almost 2 of those miles. Felt great which gives me confidence but now I'm wondering if that was too much since the race is Saturday? Do you think that would impact my race Saturday if I took it easy the next couple days?

The week of a sprint I would normally do something like Hard workout Tuesday and Wednesday, Thurs off, and Friday light (similar to what you mentioned).  Also I don't think your workout will hurt you.  You'll be fine.

2015-06-24 10:20 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

The week of a sprint race I usually do some shorter, higher intensity sessions, maybe 60-70% of normal volume.  For a Saturday race I'll do my last workout on Thursday and take Friday off, or at most just do some very easy 'moving around' type stuff, mostly just to calm any nervous energy..

I'll add the caveat that I'm 62 and have to make more allowance for rest & recovery these days.

Good luck at your race.

Mark

2015-06-24 10:30 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by mchadcota2 The week of a sprint I typically do a regular workout Tuesday, then something easy Wednesday with some short hard efforts. Take off Thursday, a few minutes of each sport on Friday, race Saturday. So I was thinking about doing a race Saturday but I had a bad run Sunday so I didn't know how ready I was. So today I did a 20 min bike with a couple short hard efforts and then ran 3.5 miles. I wanted to test myself so I ran at about race pace for almost 2 of those miles. Felt great which gives me confidence but now I'm wondering if that was too much since the race is Saturday? Do you think that would impact my race Saturday if I took it easy the next couple days?

The week of a sprint I would normally do something like Hard workout Tuesday and Wednesday, Thurs off, and Friday light (similar to what you mentioned).  Also I don't think your workout will hurt you.  You'll be fine.

^^ This

3 days before the race is usually a triple brick after a warm up.  5 minutes on the bike at race pace, 800M run at just under race pace X 3.  Thursday is typically a travel day and Friday is an easy bike and run with 2 or 3 pickups and a swim concentrating on get out speed and entry (whichever entry your race is using).  The effort you already did isn't going to hurt your race on Saturday.

2015-06-24 10:30 AM
in reply to: #5124485

nashville, Tennessee
Thanks a lot! Good to know that you go hard until Wednesday too.
2015-06-24 4:43 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

, Idaho
Originally posted by Left Brain

^^ This

3 days before the race is usually a triple brick after a warm up.  5 minutes on the bike at race pace, 800M run at just under race pace X 3.  Thursday is typically a travel day and Friday is an easy bike and run with 2 or 3 pickups and a swim concentrating on get out speed and entry (whichever entry your race is using).  The effort you already did isn't going to hurt your race on Saturday.

LB, Thanks for the specifics. What would the workout be for an Olympic or would you do the same?

2015-06-24 5:32 PM
in reply to: d.wilk

User image

Pro

Originally posted by d.wilk

^^ This

LB, Thanks for the specifics. What would the workout be for an Olympic or would you do the same?

The only change is Wed. and it's 10 minutes on the bike at race pace and then then 1200's just below race pace X 3, but with a bit more recovery in between.  For sprints the rest between the bricks just brings HR down about 20% and then hit it again.  We will typically take a bike trainer and bike to a local HS track to do these workouts.  The efforts are VERY measured based on current fitness level.  It's not an easy workout by any means but it's great preparation for your body to get ready to race.  Often the workout is followed by an ice bath in the evening.

2015-06-24 6:13 PM

User image

If in doubt, err on the side of easy. You're not going to improve any by squeezing another workout in but you can damage your speed if you put in one too many.
2015-06-24 10:19 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Pro

Originally posted by b2run If in doubt, err on the side of easy. You're not going to improve any by squeezing another workout in but you can damage your speed if you put in one too many.

What I've learned in my own training and watching really fast people run, swim, and do triathlons is that it's beneficial to do a hard and fast workout 3-4 days out from a race.  It's not something we made up, it is suggested by many running, swimming, and triathlon coaches.  It has nothing to do with fitness and everything to do with getting ready to race. It's good to fire up your muscles.  The key is not to go too long.  Broken efforts (intervals for run and swim, brick for triathlon) that total about 1/2 of your race distance, at race pace or just below, is the formula.  I'm sure it can't be done for long course, and I've never heard anyone prescribe it for long distance.....but for fast, short racing the pre-race effort is tried and true.

2015-06-25 5:48 PM

User image

Originally posted by b2run If in doubt, err on the side of easy. You're not going to improve any by squeezing another workout in but you can damage your speed if you put in one too many.

What I've learned in my own training and watching really fast people run, swim, and do triathlons is that it's beneficial to do a hard and fast workout 3-4 days out from a race.  It's not something we made up, it is suggested by many running, swimming, and triathlon coaches.  It has nothing to do with fitness and everything to do with getting ready to race. It's good to fire up your muscles.  The key is not to go too long.  Broken efforts (intervals for run and swim, brick for triathlon) that total about 1/2 of your race distance, at race pace or just below, is the formula.  I'm sure it can't be done for long course, and I've never heard anyone prescribe it for long distance.....but for fast, short racing the pre-race effort is tried and true.

I do this for running, but "half the distance" falls apart beyond a 10K race. The short/fast race-prep run is no more than about 20 minutes, or under 5K for me, regardless of the race distance.
2015-06-26 12:09 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

Yup, I agree with LB. Here's some science that explains it further:

http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2010/03/key-to-running-fast-on-race...

2015-06-29 9:05 AM
in reply to: 0

nashville, Tennessee
Well it did not hurt me. I had possibly my best race yet. But I also used a slightly different game plan. On the bike I decided to take the first mile to kinda catch my breath and ease into it. Then for the rest of the bike I didn't quite go all out like I usually would. Typically on the bike I'm huffing and puffing so hard the whole time that I can hardly take a drink of fluids.(don't know if this is normal or what) I was just a notch below that level this time. On the run, I told myself to not worry about my speed at first because I know I'm going to be slow. Well I felt good from the beginning. My goal was sub 7 on the run. My pace was 6:40 which is my best yet. So my swim(1/2 mile) was a little better than I expected, the bike was slightly below what I had hoped. Was hoping for around 22.5 but ended up 22.2. (20 mile bike) But my run was way better than expected. But the main thing was, I felt good the whole race which rarely happens. So anyway, sorry for the ramble but just excited because its been awhile since I've had a good race.

Edited by mchadcota2 2015-06-29 9:06 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Week of sprint race Rss Feed