General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding France or Germany? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-24 9:16 PM

Subject: Riding France or Germany?
I will be in Europe for a full month - August - for work. During that time, I have 10 days straight of free time so am thinking of finding a place in Europe where I can enjoy putting in miles while being safe and enjoying the scenery. I don't want to climb the mountains, but was thinking some of the flatter areas of Germany or France (Italy is too far South from where I will be located). Has anyone biked Europe on a road or tri bike? any advice or help deciding which country?

2015-06-25 10:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Riding France or Germany?
Anything along the Danube (Donau) would be a good bet. There are dedicated bike paths along almost the entire river in Germany, Austria, and some of the Hungarian section. Most would be suited for a road or tri bike, though I've always ridden a rented cruiser or hybrid there. Passau (near German/Austrian border) is at the hub of several major bike trails. There's also an extensive network of trails along the Elbe River--Dresden is an amazing place for biking if you can be that far east. If Austria is an option, Vienna and Salzburg both have excellent biking. Another nice area is around the Bodensee--a big lake that straddles the borders of Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. There are dedicated bike trails around much of it but a bit more riding on the road than the other places I mentioned. You could take a look at the Bike Tours Direct website--even if you don't want to do a guided or self-guided tour, it might give you ideas for where to ride.

France--I've only ridden in Provence. Pleasant riding, but route-finding was harder, not many dedicated paths, and I would not want to take a tri bike there. Maybe a road bike. Also not flat. I believe there are long-distance bike paths along the Rhone and other major rivers, though. Bike Tours Direct would probably show them on the route maps.

In all of these places, you can do a day ride in one direction, then take the train back, or vice versa. Easy, cheap, and safe to load your bike on local trains. There's a special bike car or two, you buy a "bike ticket" for a few Euros, the car has straps to secure the bikes, and you can sit with/near it. Particularly along the Danube routes, there is a real biking culture and tons of guesthouses, repair shops,cafes, and "rest stops" for bikers.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-06-25 10:11 AM
2015-06-25 10:28 AM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

Yep - Bavaria and the Danube - great location to cycle

I raced in Regensburg a few years back an the whole are is stunning & cycle friendly 

2015-06-25 12:06 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Anything along the Danube (Donau) would be a good bet. There are dedicated bike paths along almost the entire river in Germany, Austria, and some of the Hungarian section. Most would be suited for a road or tri bike, though I've always ridden a rented cruiser or hybrid there. Passau (near German/Austrian border) is at the hub of several major bike trails. There's also an extensive network of trails along the Elbe River--Dresden is an amazing place for biking if you can be that far east. If Austria is an option, Vienna and Salzburg both have excellent biking. Another nice area is around the Bodensee--a big lake that straddles the borders of Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. There are dedicated bike trails around much of it but a bit more riding on the road than the other places I mentioned. You could take a look at the Bike Tours Direct website--even if you don't want to do a guided or self-guided tour, it might give you ideas for where to ride.

France--I've only ridden in Provence. Pleasant riding, but route-finding was harder, not many dedicated paths, and I would not want to take a tri bike there. Maybe a road bike. Also not flat. I believe there are long-distance bike paths along the Rhone and other major rivers, though. Bike Tours Direct would probably show them on the route maps.

In all of these places, you can do a day ride in one direction, then take the train back, or vice versa. Easy, cheap, and safe to load your bike on local trains. There's a special bike car or two, you buy a "bike ticket" for a few Euros, the car has straps to secure the bikes, and you can sit with/near it. Particularly along the Danube routes, there is a real biking culture and tons of guesthouses, repair shops,cafes, and "rest stops" for bikers.

This is great information. Thank you!
2015-06-25 12:07 PM
in reply to: WildWill

Originally posted by WildWill

Yep - Bavaria and the Danube - great location to cycle

I raced in Regensburg a few years back an the whole are is stunning & cycle friendly 

great!
2015-07-02 4:59 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I biked quite a bit of France and just a bit of Germany to get my from the Frankfurt airport to France. I think you could ride anywhere in France. Also, France and Germany have quite a bit of bike paths.

http://mightyriders.blogspot.ca/2012/08/gerths-do-france.html

2015-07-03 8:10 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Alsace in France is a VERY nice region and being right on the boarder to Germany, you could actually ride in two countries.
2015-07-03 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
One thing to also keep in mind is that August is school vacation throughout much of Europe and lots of people will be on the move. If you are thinking of camping, campgrounds will be packed. France in particular really shuts down and sometimes even tourist facilities are closed (I guess the French vacate elsewhere?) It's harder to be spontaneous about just showing up in a small town and getting a place to stay (which my mom and I sometimes did on DIY bike tours--even earlier in summer it's best to finish riding by 4 PM if doing that.). Booking a self-guided tour with accommodation arranged in advance (or doing the bookings yourself), or basing yourself in one place and doing day rides from there, maybe using the train system, might work better. Germany would also be busy at that time but doesn't seem to shut down to the extent that France does.

Another thing if you have never bike toured in Europe---it pays to find out about what days and times businesses tend to be closed. I can recall touring in Germany and finding no grocery stores open during several hours at mid-day (in small towns), so we needed to pack a lunch in the morning. And there was one day of the week (I think Mondays?) when we couldn't find restaurants open in Italy. We tend to ride in rural areas and stay in pretty traditional small towns where most businesses are family run; this may not be an issue with larger towns and cities.
2015-07-03 11:24 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by Hot Runner One thing to also keep in mind is that August is school vacation throughout much of Europe and lots of people will be on the move. If you are thinking of camping, campgrounds will be packed. France in particular really shuts down and sometimes even tourist facilities are closed (I guess the French vacate elsewhere?) It's harder to be spontaneous about just showing up in a small town and getting a place to stay (which my mom and I sometimes did on DIY bike tours--even earlier in summer it's best to finish riding by 4 PM if doing that.). Booking a self-guided tour with accommodation arranged in advance (or doing the bookings yourself), or basing yourself in one place and doing day rides from there, maybe using the train system, might work better. Germany would also be busy at that time but doesn't seem to shut down to the extent that France does. Another thing if you have never bike toured in Europe---it pays to find out about what days and times businesses tend to be closed. I can recall touring in Germany and finding no grocery stores open during several hours at mid-day (in small towns), so we needed to pack a lunch in the morning. And there was one day of the week (I think Mondays?) when we couldn't find restaurants open in Italy. We tend to ride in rural areas and stay in pretty traditional small towns where most businesses are family run; this may not be an issue with larger towns and cities.

Yes to both comments above. I biked in Alsace and it was great. Also, yeah, living in North America we are so used to things being open 24/7. Sometimes we'd arrive somewhere and there was absolutely nowhere to get food. We were touring on our bikes, so we carrying a tent and were bike camping. It was during the busy season, but we didn't have any trouble with camping because I think they'll always make room for you if you bike in. Some of the campgrounds we stayed in were full for car camping.

2015-07-03 7:08 PM
in reply to: jeng

Originally posted by jeng

Originally posted by Hot Runner One thing to also keep in mind is that August is school vacation throughout much of Europe and lots of people will be on the move. If you are thinking of camping, campgrounds will be packed. France in particular really shuts down and sometimes even tourist facilities are closed (I guess the French vacate elsewhere?) It's harder to be spontaneous about just showing up in a small town and getting a place to stay (which my mom and I sometimes did on DIY bike tours--even earlier in summer it's best to finish riding by 4 PM if doing that.). Booking a self-guided tour with accommodation arranged in advance (or doing the bookings yourself), or basing yourself in one place and doing day rides from there, maybe using the train system, might work better. Germany would also be busy at that time but doesn't seem to shut down to the extent that France does. Another thing if you have never bike toured in Europe---it pays to find out about what days and times businesses tend to be closed. I can recall touring in Germany and finding no grocery stores open during several hours at mid-day (in small towns), so we needed to pack a lunch in the morning. And there was one day of the week (I think Mondays?) when we couldn't find restaurants open in Italy. We tend to ride in rural areas and stay in pretty traditional small towns where most businesses are family run; this may not be an issue with larger towns and cities.

Yes to both comments above. I biked in Alsace and it was great. Also, yeah, living in North America we are so used to things being open 24/7. Sometimes we'd arrive somewhere and there was absolutely nowhere to get food. We were touring on our bikes, so we carrying a tent and were bike camping. It was during the busy season, but we didn't have any trouble with camping because I think they'll always make room for you if you bike in. Some of the campgrounds we stayed in were full for car camping.

thanks for this info. I had been thinking about doing the based from somewhere route as well. ..and yes, even though I had lived in Germany for two years and there were certain hours, and days, the groceries were not open, I had completely forgotten about this. thanks for the reminder!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding France or Germany? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Germany 70.3

Started by nthomas1999
Views: 491 Posts: 2

2009-08-07 5:05 PM nthomas1999

New Bike from Germany Finally arrived.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Scottywheels
Views: 1755 Posts: 32

2009-07-23 8:29 AM Scottywheels

Marathon World Record in Germany.

Started by maubueno
Views: 1555 Posts: 12

2008-09-28 4:57 PM Shermbelle

Heidelberg Germany

Started by armyrn
Views: 398 Posts: 1

2004-08-23 1:08 PM armyrn

Munich City Triathlon (Germany)

Started by thenumber
Views: 724 Posts: 4

2004-06-01 2:20 AM Minkota
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 23, 2012
author : jason.taylor
comments : 13
An age-grouper's journey of training for and completing his first Ironman

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : November 20, 2007
author : Lorenzomtb
comments : 1
Immediately I felt attracted by the challenge. I have done plenty of biking this summer and a new motivation, particularly toward the end of the summer, was what I needed.
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Mental toughness is skill. You need to learn how to suffer. You practice perseverance everyday when you are out training in the bad weather, when you ride or run further than you have ever gone.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
My dog is an intelligent runner. She does a big stretch before she does anything. She starts out slowly and gradually builds up speed until we are running very fast.