General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Backing off swim training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-25 8:24 AM

Subject: Backing off swim training?
I wanted to canvas the audience to see what impact a leave of absence at the pool would have on my overall swim performance. Just to give you some context my pre-tri background was in running. I'm pretty new to tri so my swimming and cycling experience is pretty limited. Recently I made the decision to put a lot more time into my run because (running background talking) I'm a believer in running everyday and I just don't feel good about the work i've done running as a triathlete (it shows in the results). Yea I want to be a good triathlete but I also have a desire to put in miles so its a balancing act. Anyway I'm a mid-to-back of the pack athlete so my performance is all relative but my strongest event in tri has been the swim hands down. My last race was an Oly. My age group had 122 finishers and I finished 81st (40th in the swim, 86 in the bike, and 84 in the run). I'd really like to work on my bike fitness and maintain my program to ramp up my run mileage so I was thinking about taking a few months off away from the pool after my last race this fall so my schedule would accomodate. I just worry that all the gains I got from my pool time over the last couple of years will be difficult to get back. Any thoughts?

2015-06-25 8:37 AM
in reply to: Gatornate

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Backing off swim training?

I think your fears are justified.  Former swimmers (people who swam competitively as kids) can generally get away with it since they have such a large background to draw on and the technique is so ingrained that it comes back quickly.  For someone like yourself, you may well end up back at square one with a big uphill battle to get back to where you are.

Is there a reason you feel that you can't run every day while also training your swim and bike?  It's a bigger time commitment of course but many people do do so.

2015-06-25 9:36 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Swimming is the most technical of the three disciplines and accordingly the most perishable skill.  My suggestion would be to scale back, but not completely eliminate your swim training.  Even one session a week in the pool would help to maintain some feel for the water.

Mark

2015-06-25 9:53 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
If you aren't swimming you won't maintain what you've built so far. You may not regress all the way, but it will likely be significant. During the "off season," I swim 1-2 times a week (30-40 minutes/ session) and it helps me to maintain (it isn't enough to show improvement). If you can make the time, swimming shouldn't interfere with your running. In fact, a nice technique focused swim workout can really compliment your running and aid in recovery after a harder run workout. Good luck!
2015-06-25 10:24 AM
in reply to: axteraa

This isn't something set in stone, but I'm lining up all my options. The main driver is family/job committments. Like everyone else I'm sure, I have certain chunks of time each day that could be used to train and for the amount of time I think I need to invest in the saddle while maintaining my run I'm getting really close to encroaching on the non-tri committments. If I cut the swim for a little while I thought maybe I could build my cycling fitness, build some family time equity, and recover a little. If I was single I wouldn't be asking the question if that makes sense.
2015-06-25 10:52 AM

I certainly can understand your reason for wanting to cut back on the training, life is complex. That being said, from a triathlon perspective, your swim will suffer if you go cold turkey. Like mentioned in a previous post, unless you come from a swim background you will lose the fitness/skill. It is a perishable skill that degrades quickly. I usually do not swim over the weekends, much like you because of family commitments, but when I have a 3 day weekend I miss another day in the pool & notice a difference. Now, having said all of that the decision that only you can make is if it is worth losing what you have gained in the swim to have the extra family time. That of course is the decision we must face most of the time. Oh and while it will take time to get your swim back it will happen if you are willing to put the time & effort in when you return to the pool.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Backing off swim training? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

should i back off on my training schedule?

Started by odpaul7
Views: 785 Posts: 5

2012-08-26 2:59 PM wbattaile

back to IM training after 2 months OFF

Started by cam224
Views: 542 Posts: 2

2011-02-15 10:22 AM JohnnyKay

Coming Back off Low Back Disc Herniation

Started by jsklarz
Views: 1014 Posts: 11

2009-11-03 3:23 PM jsklarz

Off season swim, Training?

Started by Thaitri
Views: 528 Posts: 3

2009-08-27 1:44 PM tkd.teacher

Pool swim...training/racing....push off, flip, or... Pages: 1 2

Started by merlin2375
Views: 2041 Posts: 28

2009-03-02 4:15 PM nxm165
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 18, 2013
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Looking at your past training to figure out the future season.

date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?
date : January 17, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
Can running worsen spinal stenosis? Is it possible to compete in triathlons with this condition?

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : October 31, 2004
author : tmwelshy
To prevent a mental breakdown before you even get to the starting line, use the winter months to set goals, build your base, vary your workouts, cut back on training and throw in some variety.
date : October 10, 2004
author : Ron
Maintain a two-day-a-week swimming and running routine. If this happens, my 2005 times should be greatly improved in these areas.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.