General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What would need to be the conditions/reasons for you to have a IM cancelled/shortened? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-06-26 7:21 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: What would need to be the conditions/reasons for you to have a IM cancelled/shortened?

Originally posted by jennifer_runs I would simply trust that the organizers are acting in the best interest of the safety all the participants.

yup, this for me as well. Would I be disappointed? Sure, maybe a little bit I suppose. The real question for me is that if the race did get altered, would I still race? IME, an Iron Distance race is a rather big target - If it was shortened to a 70.3 I would probably DNS, and pivot to another IM if possible if that is REALLY what I wanted to do this year. Or at least pull the plug after the bike and have fun watching the race go on. If they only reduced either the bike or run to a single loop and kept the other intact then I would probably still race and call it good. In some way It would actually be cool to race a different format for a change. I don't see shortening the swim having enough impact one way or the other on the race to make a difference. 

2015-06-26 8:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: What would need to be the conditions/reasons for you to have a IM cancelled/shortened?

Originally posted by zed707

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by zed707 One official made a telling statement that they organize races around the world and have successfully ran events in similar weather.
I agree entirely, except which of those events were run in cities with similar resources as CDA? Often what is overlooked are the resources able to handle this event at an extreme level and still run the city?

Yes, and people.  How many of the medics, police officers, firemen, and hospitals for that matter, in that part of the world (since we're talking worldwide) have ever even seen a case of heatstroke? Think about it.  When something becomes "unprecedented" it's time to take a hard look at how it can be handled.  Keep in mind, there are MANY MANY MORE people up in that area who will also have problems who have nothing to do with the race.  It's a serious situation for people who are charged with helping those who get in trouble. 

Really? Our emergency responders and medical professionals are somehow uneducated and incompetent in "that part of the world" when it comes to heat-related illnesses?

And as I said in my earlier post, I believe that you greatly exaggerate the impact that this heat will have on the community as a whole. It gets hot here.

It gets hot here too....and when it does, people die of all kinds of heat related issues.  Heat stroke, heart attacks, etc.  And no, I'm not exaggerating how emergency personnel handle these things as I've watched it firsthand for 30 years.  It's a pretty simple formula......if you have a heart attack, for instance, who do you want working on you while you lie on the floor.......the guy who has ran hundreds of calls for heart attacks or the guy seeing his first one.

Sure, it gets hot there, but when it does 2000 people don't take off on a 140 mile journey into it....and surely not on what may be the hottest day on record, ever.  Look, it gets hot there, I get it......but your emergency personnel are much less equipped and experienced dealing with heat issues that the first responders where I am, who are much less equipped than the first responders in La. or somewhere else.  It's the exact reason hundreds of people can die in a heat wave in say, Chicago, while the same heat will kill very few people in La. or Mississippi.  It's not an exaggeration, it's just the way things are.  IF the race goes off in 100 degree+ temps in that area, your emergency systems will be stressed.  It's bigger than the race. (I know how hard that is for people who do triathlon to understand    )

Edited by Left Brain 2015-06-26 9:01 AM
2015-06-26 11:10 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

I for one would be disappointed if they shortened the race from 140.6 to 70.3.

I was standing in the water last year at IM Lake Tahoe when they canceled the race due to smoke. I drove over 3500km to get to that race. This is my first race of the season and I would hate to have back to back Ironman races not go as planned.

I drove 2200km to get to this race. Took 10 days off from work. Rented a house for 7 days. The time and money invested in training and registration fees. If I wanted to race a 70.3 I could race Morden. Which is 2 hours from my house.

But the fact is I know the RD and officials (county, city, state, EMS) will make the right decision. Not just for the racers, but for the volunteers and spectators. Us type A people will just have to live with it. No amount of whining will change things. Because sometimes decisions have to be made by others to protect us from ourselves.

/Crossing fingers they don't shorten the race.
2015-06-26 11:20 AM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Originally posted by DeVinci13 I for one would be disappointed if they shortened the race from 140.6 to 70.3. I was standing in the water last year at IM Lake Tahoe when they canceled the race due to smoke. I drove over 3500km to get to that race. This is my first race of the season and I would hate to have back to back Ironman races not go as planned. I drove 2200km to get to this race. Took 10 days off from work. Rented a house for 7 days. The time and money invested in training and registration fees. If I wanted to race a 70.3 I could race Morden. Which is 2 hours from my house. But the fact is I know the RD and officials (county, city, state, EMS) will make the right decision. Not just for the racers, but for the volunteers and spectators. Us type A people will just have to live with it. No amount of whining will change things. Because sometimes decisions have to be made by others to protect us from ourselves. /Crossing fingers they don't shorten the race.

Damn, if they cancel IM CdA you have some REALLY bad luck.   Hope this goes off for you.

2015-06-26 11:21 AM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

User image

Originally posted by Dutchcrush
Originally posted by ChrisM

Never, none at all , we're Ironmen after all!!!!!!   Just another example of the &ussification of Ironman!!!!!  Did I mention I am an Ironman?????

That doesn't really need to be in pink, does it?

agreed on the ussification of Ironman. I have done Louisville when it was 106. I trained in a cold weather state where it was unseasonably cool the whole summer. GUess what, leading up to the race, we were warned it would be hot, and were not in a blackout on the news front warning people of the coming heat advisory. you adjust. get the Desoto sleeves and keep them filled with ice, take it a little slower, keep the salt and fluid intake up, and be an Ironman, not Lebron James. If Louisville volunteers can pull it off in 100+ temps on a regular basis, I'm sure other volunteers can too.

LOL, I guess it did need to be in pink.

And the point has been totally missed here....

2015-06-26 11:31 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I ride the fence on this one. 

On the one hand, I completely trust and respect the RD's decision. They know things I don't, and have a team in place making decisions for the good of the participants, volunteers and community. 

On the other hand, I also believe in the athlete's personal responsibility. Now that they've known the forecast for about a week, I would hope athletes have enough foresight to alter their plan accordingly. It might not have been something they specifically trained for, but they're certainly capable, and I would expect them to, research how to race in heat and precautions they need to take in this week leading up to the race - should it go on as planned.

2015-06-26 12:04 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Originally posted by DeVinci13 I for one would be disappointed if they shortened the race from 140.6 to 70.3. I was standing in the water last year at IM Lake Tahoe when they canceled the race due to smoke. I drove over 3500km to get to that race. This is my first race of the season and I would hate to have back to back Ironman races not go as planned. I drove 2200km to get to this race. Took 10 days off from work. Rented a house for 7 days. The time and money invested in training and registration fees. If I wanted to race a 70.3 I could race Morden. Which is 2 hours from my house. But the fact is I know the RD and officials (county, city, state, EMS) will make the right decision. Not just for the racers, but for the volunteers and spectators. Us type A people will just have to live with it. No amount of whining will change things. Because sometimes decisions have to be made by others to protect us from ourselves. /Crossing fingers they don't shorten the race.

Damn, if they cancel IM CdA you have some REALLY bad luck.   Hope this goes off for you.

Me too! Good luck. You have a great attitude.

Disappointed would be understandable and expected.
2015-06-29 3:07 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

I'm not really sure if they should cancel, but there will be people getting hospitalized because of the heat. Mandurah (Australia) 70.3 was raced in 102 F heat and that was dreadful. The ambulance was kept busy and a number of people collapsed and had to be taken to hospital. One guy was 1km from the finish line. I can't imagine running in 108. I'm a firm believer that races, especially the swim should not be cancelled unless the conditions are extreme, pretty much every swim that has been cancelled or shortened, I think, should have been run. But a full IM in 108 heat..... I might be p*ssed off if it was cancelled, but I'd understand. I wonder if they could do something a bit whacky though - do a reverse IM, so the run is done either first or second whilst the heat is tolerable. I'd prefer to do a full reverse IM that a shortened IM.
2015-06-29 7:46 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Originally posted by jillian_o I understand a 70.3 doesn't compare to an IM, but I'd probably be mad about an altered IM too. I've done IM Lou twice when it reached the 100s, but I was expecting that and trained as such

Great that you trained for the expected temps on a course and were prepared for it.

What if Louisville was 30 degrees hotter than the average Louisville temps for that day?  I am assuming the OP was spurred by CdA so we might as well talk about the fact that temps are not only extreme but unprecedented.  Ave temps for that day are 76, expected are 104+.  

Totally agree. I do not do well in the heat, and its actually been a pretty cool summer so far for me. Having all those people who may be acclimatized to the heat is a recipe for medical emergencies. The combination of type A triathletes who have spent a great deal of time and money training means that very few would voluntarily withdraw from the race due to the heat.
2015-06-29 10:08 AM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

User image

Well, it's done now. Race started early as planned but nothing shortened or cancelled. Times were slower, there were less starters and finishers.
2015-06-29 12:13 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by jennifer_runs Well, it's done now. Race started early as planned but nothing shortened or cancelled. Times were slower, there were less starters and finishers.

Yes, the event went off and I'm glad they allowed it to do so. According to the Spokesman-Review there were "nearly 300" DNS, 1,710 started and 1,335 finished. 

I'm glad that I kept my commitment and volunteered. Lots of appreciation from the athletes. But my favorite was when an athlete's wife stopped and thanked us. An epic  day and congrats to those who made it through--they're truly an Ironman.

Edited by zed707 2015-06-29 12:14 PM

2015-06-29 3:14 PM

User image

Originally posted by zed707

Originally posted by jennifer_runs Well, it's done now. Race started early as planned but nothing shortened or cancelled. Times were slower, there were less starters and finishers.

Yes, the event went off and I'm glad they allowed it to do so. According to the Spokesman-Review there were "nearly 300" DNS, 1,710 started and 1,335 finished. 

I'm glad that I kept my commitment and volunteered. Lots of appreciation from the athletes. But my favorite was when an athlete's wife stopped and thanked us. An epic  day and congrats to those who made it through--they're truly an Ironman.

Last year the total registrations at CdA was about 2500 (verified by the 2014 full results that shows 124 pages of athletes including DNF and DNS).  2015 was also sold out and I believe close to 2500 again.

Maybe the reported 300 DNS was of those who picked up their packet?  If so, a 32% DNS rate (1700 out of 2500 started) and a 22% DNF rate is pretty high.

Edited by Jason N 2015-06-29 3:15 PM
2015-06-29 4:01 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

Not considering a full 140+, as I've ruled that out the window (at least....for now) as I've gotten up to 13+ miles running.

I'm OK with cutting anything short for safety's sake.
Storm, lightening, extreme heat...or other dangerous conditions...whatever they may be.

I would be perturbed if it were cut short/cancelled for a forseeable and manageable instance.
If something has happened to the course on more than a couple occasions (flooding, rock falls, etc.), I don't think it's unreasonable to ask race directors to proactively consider that and have alternate options beyond "shortening/cancelling". Not just instances that have affected a particular race (although they could have), but at other times as well.

Sure, there's always unexpected and the bizzaro stroke of odd luck. But, if it's happened a couple times it's not bizzaro stroke of luck. It's "common". If there's flood gates that are protecting nearby streets, it means it floods there. If lacrosse/soccer practices get cancelled because a gnat spit two counties over, the area you're thinking about using for transition becomes a swamp. That one road, where the sign says "Watch for Falling Rock", they're not telling you to be on the lookout for local Native American tribal chief.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What would need to be the conditions/reasons for you to have a IM cancelled/shortened? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Am I having delusions of grandeur? Pages: 1 2

Started by acumenjay
Views: 3519 Posts: 38

2009-06-03 3:55 PM Baowolf

Am I worried for no reason??

Started by Sassafras
Views: 1097 Posts: 15

2006-08-19 9:04 AM willow

I am having some swimming issues...help, please.

Started by lifeisgood
Views: 1543 Posts: 8

2005-01-11 10:27 AM kepola

Water Conditions at Tempe Town Lake - Home of IM AZ and SOMA 1/2 IM

Started by SwmBkRn
Views: 2652 Posts: 2

2004-10-22 6:55 PM SwmBkRn

Well I am having some trouble!!

Started by royj
Views: 931 Posts: 3

2004-05-30 1:18 AM royj