General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Train vo2 Max for half iron? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-27 1:31 PM

User image

Subject: Train vo2 Max for half iron?
I'm about 18 weeks out from my first half iron. Should I incorporate vo2 max workouts into my plan ? If so, at what phase?

Background: 46 , male, 4 seasons of sprints and olys, a couple half marathons

In prior seasons, My max training weeks have been in the 12-13 hr range. I have responded extremely well to vo2 work in all three disciplines in the past. I am using joe friel "your best triathlon" as a template, his does not call for vo2 Max / anaerobic work for half iron

I realize half is a different beast and that I definitely need a bigger base , but curious if I should eventually bring vo2 work into the mix?

Thanks!

2015-06-27 2:13 PM
in reply to: Stuckinthemiddle

Subject: RE: Train vo2 Max for half iron?

Yes, but it shouldn't be at cost of the rest of the training. Fortunately, true VO2 work shouldn't be that much actual training load - by definition, they are short, and hard. Stuff like 4 x 600 @ 5k race pace (once you're in shape, not right off the bat!) and near-max bike intervals of 2-3 minutes x 10 are examples of such work. Pretty much hard enough you are really suffering at the end of them, but once you're done and the pain stops, your legs aren't fried at all for the rest of the week since total volume is low. 

Most training plans defer the VO2 workouts until the month before the race, not because the VO2 workouts are so punishing, but because they tend to emphasize building training volume (at slower speed) for the first half of the training plan - if you're building correctly and doing enough to push your boundaries, you'll find that it's very hard to do proper VO2 workouts during that phase since your legs will feel fatigued most of the time if you're doing it right. By the later phase, you're acclimated to the volume, and can incorporate more speed, and as race day comes, even swap weekly volume for speed, but you won't need more than 1 bike and 1 run truly hard VO2 workout per week if that's the system you're targeting.

2015-06-27 7:51 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Subject: RE: Train vo2 Max for half iron?
Thanks ! The part about pushing the volume boundaries makes complete sense.

I'll see how I get along with the vol increase before moving into vo2 Max training again

I've heard the jump from only to half is no joke, so I do respect the distance
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Train vo2 Max for half iron? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HR Training Zones from VO2 Max??

Started by lanzodt
Views: 2607 Posts: 11

2014-12-15 12:27 PM AdventureBear

VO2 Max Bike Power training

Started by BGANNAWAY
Views: 2378 Posts: 10

2011-09-10 3:15 PM trix

VO2 Max Testing - worthwhile?

Started by Konabound
Views: 1238 Posts: 3

2006-02-26 7:01 PM BeCivil

VO2 max

Started by andrej
Views: 913 Posts: 5

2005-08-16 3:03 PM PrimeCase

VO2 Max and resting HR

Started by aphoric
Views: 1624 Posts: 10

2004-08-18 2:27 PM charlie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.

date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
How do you determine VO2 max for cycling? I have my HR zones from a time trial, but don't know how to get VO2 max out of that.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : December 31, 2006
author : sportfactory
Is there a point of diminishing returns? At some point, age catches up with us all. In general, as we age, VO2 max decreases, body fat increases, and muscular strength drops off.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : September 3, 2005
Can you tell me how my LT and V02 max have not decreased after 8 months of absolutely no speedwork? I did very minimal running up until February 2005.