The Woodlands, Texas
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 14h 27m 3s
Overall Rank = 1449/
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 184/
Pre-race routine:

Took it easy; chatting with my brother an keeping relaxed. Drank a single serving of UCAN super-starch--the first time I have used it in a race.
Event warmup:

Took no warmup as swimmers were not allowed in the water prior to the race--at least as far as I could tell.
Swim
  • 1h 44m 5s
  • 3800 meters
  • 02m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not my best effort on the swim. Was excited, started too close to the front, and went out of first 100 yards too fast. As a result, I lost my wind and hand to breaststroke for the next 100 yards to settle my breathing. Once that was under control and I was warmed up, the rest of the swim went by with little probable--solid free style stroke with not breathing problems. Although, because of my earlier mis-step, I was behind. Think I tool the swim a bit conservatively at that point as I wasn't sure what to expect. That was pretty much the case with the entire race.
What would you do differently?:

I would begin those first couple-hundred yards a bit easier--especially since there was no warmup. Once I was warmed up, the capillaries open, I could take off. This is a lesson I learned (and has served me well) in shorter distance races, but I didn't follow my own plan on this day.
Transition 1
  • 12m 18s
Comments:

Took this slowly as it was my first Ironman and didn't know what to expect. I wasn't running this event for time, just to finish and gain some experience, so I took my time in transition. The changing tent was a new concept that I had never encounter, so I didn't rush.

Now that I know what to expect, I will deal with transition more quickly--no need to linger in the changing tent.
Bike
  • 7h 07m 38s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Has some real problems here. About 20 miles into the bike course my left pedal broke off. All I needed was a wrench to fix it, but alas, no one at the first aid station had a wrench. Wasn't going to fold for this, and pressed on pedaling with only my right leg. This took me the next ten miles to the next aid station, where, unfortunately, no one had a wrench. Kept going, with only one leg...getting tired and the quad starting to cramp when I cam to a corner and one of the volunteers had a friend who had a wrench. They fixed the pedal for me and I got back underway with both feet--finally. I imagine that the 'issues' cost me a good 45 minutes to an hour in time. However, as I look back, fighting through that and not giving up is one of the most rewarding memories of the day. Yes, it cost me time, but it also gave me the confidence that I can push through my own doubts,

Not much i could do differently--cant really plan for such problems. Biking is my weakest event, and the times that I had both feet working, I felt were pretty good. Just need to continue to train in the saddle. Worked hard on the bike trainer this winter, and that is beginning to show.
Transition 2
  • 14m 15s
Comments:

Approached this transition the same as the last, and those comment are the same.

Same as T1
Run
  • 5h 08m 47s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Took the run a little too conservatively, but that okay...as my first Ironman, I wasn't sure how the body would respond, and I did not want to implode half-way. I only walked though the aid stations but ran the entire course at a steady, all-be-it slow pace. Finished strong with quite a bit left in the tank. Has a little cramping at the very end, but think this was mainly due to using an almost entirely liquid nutrition plan.

Go faster. Not much, but I could certainly push it more closely to a 10 minute mile which is still well below marathon pace. I love the superstarch nutrition, but would probably add some potassium on the run to help with possible cramping.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly just my own limiter of wanting to experience my first Ironman and not blow-up. Now that I know what it feels like, I can up the tempo both in performance and transition.

Last updated: 2015-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:44:05 | 3800 meters | 02m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 263/
Overall: 2126/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Spped Suit
Course: A pretty straight forward course for the first 2/3. Then the course turned down a canal through the Woodlands center. Really enjoyed that part of the course with spectators on both sides.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 12:18
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:07:38 | 112 miles | 15.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 244/
Overall: 1991/
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 14:15
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:08:47 | 26.2 miles | 11m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 186/
Overall: 1123/
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-06-27 8:17 PM

User image

Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas

2015-06-29 7:35 PM
in reply to: #5125263

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas

Wow, one pedal! That is some ironman spirit right there. Congrats on your race, ironman  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas

Started by TxMatt
Views: 2861 Posts: 4

2013-05-30 5:14 PM rach5928

Started by VarneyT
Views: 2636 Posts: 3

2013-05-21 9:33 PM papson14

Started by mman
Views: 2371 Posts: 3

2013-05-21 9:35 PM papson14

Started by chrisisen
Views: 2889 Posts: 5

2013-05-21 9:38 PM papson14

Started by jimmyb
Views: 3284 Posts: 12

2013-05-22 10:25 AM TriAya
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 9, 2014
author : glyssellee
comments : 10
My race report is different. My motivating factors go back seven years. I have lived in denial for seven years. Depression. I registered for Ironman Texas even though I felt like a complete failure.

date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.