General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie in Montreal - advice welcome Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-28 5:42 PM

Subject: Newbie in Montreal - advice welcome
I signed up for a sprint triathlon (300m-10km-5km) for August. I have belonged to a gym since last September and lost about 30 pounds (from 160 to 130lbs, which I consider in my ideal weight zone. I am 51 years old. At the gym, I have a trainer who creates circuits for me for strength training, but I mostly love doing classes like boot camp and spinning. I am now one of the stronger students in those classes. I have no real fears over my ability with running or cycling for the triathlon, my endurance is quite good there.

However, my progress in strength training and endurance in other areas do not seem to be translating over to my swimming very much. I have a coach and am working on my swimming, but boy, I really envy people who I see in the pool who seem like Energizer bunnies and can just keep going and going. I can only do 50 metres and I need to break for a minute or a half a minute. I have the videos and books from Terry Laughlin and am trying to absorb everything I can about proper form.

I would love to hear about anyone's experience with their first triathlon - how well-prepared did you feel?

2015-06-28 8:22 PM
in reply to: LilyoftheValley

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Newbie in Montreal - advice welcome

Welcome!

Well, I think it's pretty safe to say that nobody feels confident in their first tri, so you're in good company. Nearly everyone has embarrassing stories of screw-ups from their infant years as triathletes, and those stories should be told for a good group laugh together.  The good news is you've tapped a great resource. There are plenty of excellent swimmers here who will give you as much info as you want to soak up. If you feel comfortable, post a video of yourself swimming so your stroke can be analyzed. That's one of the best ways for people to give advice on what you should be working on. For most triathletes, swimming is their weak link, so again, you're in good company. Good form is absolutely essential, so keep that a focus every time you get in the water. You will get better with practice and drills, but also from having someone keep an eye on what you're doing, so listen to your coach and make sure the coach actually pays attention to you. Bad habits early on can be difficult to break later. Focus on one thing at a time, since good form consists of many different things which can seem overwhelming to keep track of all at once. And be sure to ask plenty of questions in the forums- it gives us all an excuse to slack off at work and spend more time on this site.

Good luck and congrats on the weight loss!

2015-06-29 10:02 PM
in reply to: trijamie

Thanks, Crazy Uncle Jamie! I gave myself a confidence boost tonight by returning to the pool (it is much less busy on Monday nights at 8:30pm) and I started to find my endurance. Last night, I had watched various Youtube videos from Terry Laughlin, and I particularly paid attention to what they were doing underneath the water with their hands and arms. I tried to translate some of this into my swim and it seemed too work. I also calmed myself down a bit - I think I put too much pressure on myself and I was freaking myself out. I went slow and easy, and I was able to make 300 metres without stopping - four times! After Sunday's swim, I thought that would be a long time coming.

It is a good idea to get someone to record my stroke - I will work on getting someone to help me out with that.

Again, thanks a lot, it is great to find such encouragement on this site!! I love it, it helps so much
2015-06-30 8:06 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Awesome!!

Yea that's the other thing I forgot to mention- surround yourself with good swimmers if you can. Keep one eye on their form while you're swimming. I used to swim with an incredibly gifted person and I always felt that just by swimming next to her, my stroke got better. If you aren't in the pool at the same time as those with more experience, then you've got the right idea- YOUTUBE!

2015-06-30 10:15 AM

User image

New user
Hi and welcome!

I am from your area (well south shore of Montreal).
Which tri did you sign up for? I am not aware of many sprint tris around here with a 300m swim.

As for the swim, yeah watching youtube videos helped me A LOT when I started. I was able to correct the biggest mistakes I was making. And there is no secret to it, you have to practice good form (drills are good for that, I think Terry's videos do mention a few basic drills) and go swimming as often as you can to build endurance.

Good luck on your training!
2015-06-30 11:50 AM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Extreme Veteran

I suggest you try some open water swimming if that's what you will do in the race.

Jean Drapeau is open for practicing

http://www.parcjeandrapeau.com/natation-en-eau-libre-plage-montreal...

2015-07-01 8:51 PM
in reply to: marcag

Parc Jean Drapeau is a good idea - thanks for that!
2015-07-03 6:30 AM
in reply to: isabella969

Hi Isabella, I replied to this but I don't see it in the thread. The name of my triathlon is the Triathlon de Verdun.
2015-07-03 6:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by LilyoftheValley

Hi Isabella, I replied to this but I don't see it in the thread. The name of my triathlon is the Triathlon de Verdun.

Verdun used to have 2 versions. One in the pool, one in the river. Do they still do both ?
Verdun was my 2nd sprint ever. Nice venue.

Edited by marcag 2015-07-03 6:33 AM
2015-07-03 6:51 AM
in reply to: marcag

Yes, it is still open water and pool - the 750m swim is doing in the river. Look forward to doing that one day! My 300m will be in a pool.
2015-07-03 2:16 PM

User image

New user
I've never done Verdun, let me know how it goes!!!

Oh and I wanted to say congratulations on the weight loss, and for this goal you set for yourself.
No doubt you'll catch the tri bug

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie in Montreal - advice welcome Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Another newbie - welcome to ME!

Started by mtnbikerchk
Views: 701 Posts: 3

2012-12-13 10:05 AM tctriathlete

All advice welcome

Started by jonnygw
Views: 707 Posts: 2

2010-04-04 9:50 AM PennState

welcome, welcome welcome...

Started by wee scotty
Views: 1090 Posts: 2

2015-02-28 1:24 PM WhiteCatzs

Newbie from Montreal

Started by marcag
Views: 648 Posts: 4

2009-08-01 11:59 AM marcag

Newbie from Montreal

Started by Stomper36
Views: 534 Posts: 3

2007-12-23 7:14 PM pinktrigal
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?