General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 910 - How it can help my swim times Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-29 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Garmin 910 - How it can help my swim times
Here is my question - How can I use my Garmin 910 to improve my swim times? Does anyone know a guide I could to set up my watch in order to give me some metrics that would help me analyze my stroke. Right now, I'm swimming at a pace of 2:12x100 and I know I have room for improvement. Since it's summer, I'm doing most of my swims in a lake.

Also - how can I improve it's accuracy. I've heard of some people placing the watch in their swim cap but I still get the lost signal warning.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

2015-06-29 1:28 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Subject: RE: Garmin 910 - How it can help my swim times
I'm not sure what stroke analysis you mean, but the only thing that the Garmin 910xt will help you do is measure strokes/minute. So you could use the data to help increase your stroke turnover number. When you use it in pool mode it also gives you a "swolf" (swim golf) number of strokes per length plus distance).

For me the only thing it really does in helping me improve my swim time is give me motivation to swim more.
2015-06-29 3:58 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by Qua17 Here is my question - How can I use my Garmin 910 to improve my swim times? Does anyone know a guide I could to set up my watch in order to give me some metrics that would help me analyze my stroke. Right now, I'm swimming at a pace of 2:12x100 and I know I have room for improvement. Since it's summer, I'm doing most of my swims in a lake. Also - how can I improve it's accuracy. I've heard of some people placing the watch in their swim cap but I still get the lost signal warning. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I just got a 920xt which I have been wearing in the pool for several weeks.  Truthfully, I find it more distracting than anything.

I not sure how the watch can help you, but I would concentrate on the effort you swim at if you are trying to improve times.  It's probably much easier in the pool than open water, but you should be doing a fair amount of high intensity relatively short sets.  Think of it as fartleks for swimming.  Pick some landmarks and then swim strong/hard for a couple minutes followed by some slow, active recovery; rinse and repeat.

2015-06-30 1:07 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Expert
Thanks for the advice everyone.
2015-06-30 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

So, i often don't fart around too much with my Garmin during the swim now that i know how to use it well but it's about looking at your data afterward. How your times over a distance change with harder/easier effort. Your SWOLF or stroke rate often will indicate efficiency ... i am not sure of the 'real' terms but you won't have to count the same way you would when you are doing Swim Golf or 'Score' (which is what my swim coach calls it).

Maybe none of that is super useful to you - if you're a long time swimmer you're automatically programmed to be looking at the pace clock and counting strokes and generally eschew wearing a watch. I am not. And i do find it helpful to have the data easily uploaded to review to see how i am progressing. 

I actually have the Garmin Swim which i assume is pretty much the same swim functionality as the 910 so take this for what it's worth: I find the set up is helpful when you have the drill mode and rest timer set up. 

2015-07-01 9:37 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by juniperjen

So, i often don't fart around too much with my Garmin during the swim now that i know how to use it well but it's about looking at your data afterward. How your times over a distance change with harder/easier effort. Your SWOLF or stroke rate often will indicate efficiency ... i am not sure of the 'real' terms but you won't have to count the same way you would when you are doing Swim Golf or 'Score' (which is what my swim coach calls it).

Maybe none of that is super useful to you - if you're a long time swimmer you're automatically programmed to be looking at the pace clock and counting strokes and generally eschew wearing a watch. I am not. And i do find it helpful to have the data easily uploaded to review to see how i am progressing. 

I actually have the Garmin Swim which i assume is pretty much the same swim functionality as the 910 so take this for what it's worth: I find the set up is helpful when you have the drill mode and rest timer set up. 

Thanks Jen!

2015-07-02 2:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have used both the garmin 910xt and anded up buying a garmin swim for myself, mostly for data tracking, and I have a habit of second guessing whether I missed a lap and do extra just to be safe.

During the swim, it won't do you any better than the pace clock will, but if you value the data afterwards to see progress over time without having to record it all, then it's great.

It is nice looking back since I got back n the pool, seeing the swolf drop, seeing my paces increase, knowing for sure that I am setting PRs at me 100 or 250m etc.

It's also nice that the garmin tends to recognize most of my swimming as freestyle now instead of thinking that 1/3 of it is backstroke
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 910 - How it can help my swim times Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Garmin 910 - Elapsed Time vs. Time

Started by TTom
Views: 1479 Posts: 7

2013-03-20 1:19 PM cynner

Garmin 910 swim gurus - please help

Started by stjohn2912
Views: 2062 Posts: 9

2012-08-28 1:39 PM stjohn2912

Garmin 910 Open Water Swim Issue Pages: 1 2

Started by navbtcret
Views: 5258 Posts: 30

2012-07-10 5:24 PM navbtcret

Garmin 910 xt during swim leg Pages: 1 2

Started by rrr8400
Views: 5198 Posts: 35

2013-04-04 7:34 AM sbsmann

Garmin 910 xt swimming

Started by garrunning
Views: 6993 Posts: 10

2012-02-28 12:54 PM ironultrared
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 6, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
Being comfortable in the water and knowing where your body parts are trump power and strength any day

date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.
date : September 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
New products from Athlete 3, Fuji, Garmin, Kestrel, LiveStrong, Reynolds, Scott, Specialized, Shimano and Vision Tech

date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!
date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.

date : October 10, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...