United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Routine pre-race sushi dinner and early night after loading up my car with bike and gear.
Event warmup:

Met my co-workers (G and J) in the transition area. Both of them are stronger runners than I am so I was curious to see how we would rank in the multi-sport setting. This was J's first triathlon and he was worried about the swim having only swam laps a few times as the event neared.
Swim
  • 09m 50s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went smooth however I never really felt like I got into a "steady and fast" gear. The short laps (width of pool) felt like I wasted a couple of seconds each time I paused for an extra breath during the open turns.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to do flip turns! Train more for speed and not just distance.
Transition 1
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

When I got into the transition area I saw G already there and getting his bike shoes on. He said his wife was watching J and said J was having issues with the swim. My transition went smooth and only about 20 seconds behind G, making it my goal to catch up and try to pass him on the bike.

Hustle a little faster, otherwise it went well.
Bike
  • 30m 56s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.40 mile/hr
Comments:

For the first lap I pushed hard but steady knowing I could give my legs a little rest on the second lap. As it turns out, G's competitive streak came out on the bike and he got a quick lead. I always kept him in sight however at each turn around his lead increased by a small margin.

At the turn around on my second lap a racer on his first lap managed to cut the corner sharper (better handling on a road bike compared to my aero bike) and get a short lead on me. I quickly passed him up on the short incline but I knew he was on my tail and kept a strong pace to keep him from passing me again. As I slowed nearing the turn into the bike finish he pulled up along side me and thanked me for pushing him to keep up with my 20 mph pace. While I didn't catch up with G it felt good to challenge another racer.

I have not ridden in aero much lately so my back complained and I had to sit up a few times. Need to keep up my bike training, my short bike commute to work is not enough!
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

As I came into transition I saw that G was still in transition so I was not far behind him on the bike. I joked about not being able to catch up with him and he joked back about having to push hard to keep ahead of me. I asked if he saw how far back J was and I was answered by J coming into transition. He made up some good time on the bike despite not having much bike practice and on old equipment (toe-clips and running shoes, etc.) Goes to show that good physical fitness gives a good base to start with! Not needing to change shoes, J was able to transition very quickly and all three of us exited T2 in a close pack.

Good transition.
Run
  • 26m 15s
  • 2.85 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

As we exited transition I knew I would not be able to keep up with G and J, both of them run in the 7-8 minute/mile pace range with J being the faster of the two. They took off and I didn't see them until their way back from the turn-around. The first half mile my calves cramped a bit leading to the "why do I do this?" thoughts. Fortunately the cramps and thoughts cleared up and I was able to get into a steady pace.

As I neared the turn-around J came flying by with G about 20 seconds behind. I shouted a few encouraging words and made it to the turn around myself. When I rounded the final corner I picked up my pace a bit and tried to catch the runner ahead of me. He slowed down to goof-off a "slow motion" finish for the camera so I kicked in extra hard and blasted past him.

Just need more run training. Been a low mileage year due to lingering plantar fasciitus. Fortunately my foot didn't bother me much during the run but I felt it later in the day.
Post race
Warm down:

Found G and J gathering their gear in the transition area. Congratulated J on his first triathlon and we all chatted about the race. If J puts in some swim and bike training he has potential due to his already strong running and general fitness.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much other than my lack of speed training.

Event comments:

Fun and short course, great for introducing new triathletes or just getting out there and having fun.

Last updated: 2015-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:50 | 440 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Laps in a pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:13
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:56 | 10 miles | 19.40 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Two laps of an out and back route.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:15 | 02.85 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back along the same route as the bike course, with an earlier turn around.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-06-29 6:46 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: Tri-the-Bull
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-the-Bull Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri-the-Bull

Started by MOlsen
Views: 1093 Posts: 2

2014-06-30 1:44 PM Qua17

Tri-the-Bull

Started by MOlsen
Views: 1350 Posts: 1

2013-07-01 5:37 PM MOlsen

Bull Run 10K

Started by MomX3
Views: 1006 Posts: 3

2006-04-06 12:22 PM runnergirl29

1era Valida Red Bull

Started by Mayde
Views: 2077 Posts: 5

2006-03-02 9:34 AM Traveski

Red Bull MTB Series - race 1

Started by dragoman
Views: 1497 Posts: 8

2005-02-22 1:01 PM Drinking Buddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.