General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Standing up while biking uphill Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-29 7:34 PM

User image

Subject: Standing up while biking uphill
I've been told that standing up while biking will improve my speed when doing the hills. The problem is that I have a difficult time balancing when I am not seated (my butt keeps wanting to drift back to the seat) and I'm not sure I really need the extra help on the hills. Is this skill a good one for me to develop, and if so, how do I go about feeling comfortable unseated?

PS - Spinning classes when I am in the upright 2nd or 3rd position haven't helped my "sea legs" at all. I have no problem biking while standing when I am on a stationary spinner

Edited by Caroleena 2015-06-29 7:36 PM

2015-06-29 10:06 PM
in reply to: Caroleena

Subject: RE: Standing up while biking uphill
Originally posted by Caroleena

I've been told that standing up while biking will improve my speed when doing the hills. The problem is that I have a difficult time balancing when I am not seated (my butt keeps wanting to drift back to the seat) and I'm not sure I really need the extra help on the hills. Is this skill a good one for me to develop, and if so, how do I go about feeling comfortable unseated?

PS - Spinning classes when I am in the upright 2nd or 3rd position haven't helped my "sea legs" at all. I have no problem biking while standing when I am on a stationary spinner

Well, it's not true so no need to worry.
2015-06-29 10:28 PM
in reply to: Caroleena

User image

New user

I don't stand up when biking uphill - people tend to do it when they get tired and can no longer spin and have to use their body weight to hammer down the pedals instead. I did a 102 mi mountain century in May with 10K ft of climbing and never came out of the saddle once... finished in 6:36:31.7 and was 4th female overall and that included 3 brief stops to refill my waterbottles and use the bathroom.
2015-06-30 6:26 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by ziggie204
Originally posted by Caroleena I've been told that standing up while biking will improve my speed when doing the hills. The problem is that I have a difficult time balancing when I am not seated (my butt keeps wanting to drift back to the seat) and I'm not sure I really need the extra help on the hills. Is this skill a good one for me to develop, and if so, how do I go about feeling comfortable unseated? PS - Spinning classes when I am in the upright 2nd or 3rd position haven't helped my "sea legs" at all. I have no problem biking while standing when I am on a stationary spinner

Pretty much that.

It will in theory allow one to go up a hill faster because you can produce more power standing up BUT it comes at an extreme cost.  Try standing up and riding uphill and tell me how your leg muscles feel.

2015-06-30 8:46 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Pro

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by Caroleena I've been told that standing up while biking will improve my speed when doing the hills. The problem is that I have a difficult time balancing when I am not seated (my butt keeps wanting to drift back to the seat) and I'm not sure I really need the extra help on the hills. Is this skill a good one for me to develop, and if so, how do I go about feeling comfortable unseated? PS - Spinning classes when I am in the upright 2nd or 3rd position haven't helped my "sea legs" at all. I have no problem biking while standing when I am on a stationary spinner

Pretty much that.

It will in theory allow one to go up a hill faster because you can produce more power standing up BUT it comes at an extreme cost.  Try standing up and riding uphill and tell me how your leg muscles feel.

That's why it's good for training.  Very hard and fast intervals up a 1/2-1 mile long hill where you stand and hammer the interval is not a bad thing.

2015-06-30 8:50 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Pretty much that.

But you feel so pro when you hammer out of the saddle.  Contador does it, so it must work!

2015-06-30 8:53 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Then there's Froome who climbs away while parked in that saddle
2015-06-30 8:58 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

Originally posted by TJHammer

Then there's Froome who climbs away while parked in that saddle

proof it is individual style. just as we all have our own walk, own stride, own stroke, in the end, even the pros ride with what is most comfortable for them. do what works for you
2015-06-30 9:22 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Left Brain

Pretty much that.

That's why it's good for training.  Very hard and fast intervals up a 1/2-1 mile long hill where you stand and hammer the interval is not a bad thing.

Know how to stand well though do train the way you intend to ride.

2015-06-30 9:34 AM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Climbing while standing is a cycling skill, and, like any other skill, it takes some time to master and become proficient at it. If you don't work on it, you'll never feel comfortable with it. Standing is a great way to maximize your power on climbs for those "attacks" on the hill, but standing does not have to be limited to max power. If you practice you can stand and ride at much more normal power levels. An advantage to this is a small break in position.......gives your back, shoulders, and arms a little variety and change of pace. Definitely not "required" for short or flat races, but nice if you're in the saddle for hours at a time.

It's a rare triathlon that has any true climbs........but, mixing standing and sitting if you have to go up a "climb" rather than a hill can be a life-saver. From my perspective, Savageman is the extreme example for climbing tri's in the US. If you watch those poor souls trying to work their way up The Wall, you'll see a lot of standers. Some will not stand at all, but it's a rare bird who does well on the next 5-miles to get up Big Savage Mountain without a mix of sitting and standing. Not many races like that though.....
2015-06-30 9:39 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Left Brain

Pretty much that.

Know how to stand well though do train the way you intend to ride.

I don't know.  Standing to do really hard and fast intervals doesn't mean you need to race that way.  It's simply a strength workout.

2015-06-30 1:38 PM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Originally posted by Dutchcrush
Originally posted by TJHammer Then there's Froome who climbs away while parked in that saddle
proof it is individual style. just as we all have our own walk, own stride, own stroke, in the end, even the pros ride with what is most comfortable for them. do what works for you

This video from this year Criterium du Dauphine.

http://www.steephill.tv/players/youtube3/?title=Last+17+Km+of+Stage+8&dashboard=criterium-du-dauphine-libere&id=6caJRoUoXEA&yr=2015

Shows pros standing to climb from the very beginning.

Get to the end of this and you see Froome banging away planted on the saddle.

I find it a very useful variation. Spin away while seated and then when fading, change down a couple and stand for a while to move the workload. In my mind I let me lungs do the work for a while (spinning seated) and then let my legs do the work (standing mashing) then flip back.

2015-06-30 2:18 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

And if we're talking pros, Contador stands a LOT.  I always notice this because I think of how exhausting it must be.

I have done some strength drills that require standing under the direction of a coach I used in the past.

I personally will stand if I have run out of gears or feel I can't shift due to my situation. It's a way to get an extra gear when climbing.

It's not a necessity but I agree with the folks who say it's worth being able to do confidently, so you can pull it out as needed.   

2015-06-30 3:21 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

It's a good way to change up muscle usage on long hills. There's a balance, though. I'm maybe one of those weird types that can recover when standing.

2015-06-30 9:48 PM
in reply to: msteiner

Originally posted by msteiner

Pretty much that.

But you feel so pro when you hammer out of the saddle.  Contador does it, so it must work!

It only looks pro if you've got the full length zipper undone and are wearing bib shorts. Then it's all about the style points.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Standing up while biking uphill Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

standing while going uphill on a bike Pages: 1 2

Started by runk8run
Views: 2708 Posts: 34

2012-01-11 11:26 AM spudone

Whiling away the time...

Started by JerseyQuaker
Views: 1842 Posts: 5

2007-10-12 7:28 AM pinktrigal

how often, bike tune ups??

Started by Tizzy
Views: 821 Posts: 2

2007-01-18 12:54 PM JohnnyKay

Tips for working on bike without a bike stand

Started by mwATL
Views: 4327 Posts: 18

2006-05-25 6:43 PM coredump

Biking uphill - stand or sit?

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1798 Posts: 15

2005-12-19 6:55 AM Daremo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 2
Have you been doing all of your bike cleaning, maintenance and repairs by leaning it up against something? Try it again with a dedicated bike repair stand.

date : January 14, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have noticed an occasional pain in my left hip flexor. The pain is most noticeable when running uphill. Is there a way to fix the problem without taking time off from training?
date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
Standing Calf Raises strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
Standing Lunges strength exercise instruction with picture and video.