General Discussion Race Reports! » Challenge Atlantic City presented by Caesars Triathlon - Half Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Challenge Atlantic City presented by Caesars Triathlon - Half Distance - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Atlantic City, New Jersey
United States
Challenge Family
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 25m 47s
Overall Rank = 336/556
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 17/43
Pre-race routine:

Remove bags covering front end and seat and dry bike after heavy rain and winds the night before.

Set up transition.

Drank 2 servings of Ucan, aiming to be done 30 min. before start. But, race was delayed 30 min., so finished about 1 hour before start. Continued to drink water.
Event warmup:

None, other than walking around.
Swim
  • 41m 53s
  • 2235 yards
  • 28m 07s / 1500 yards
Comments:

Female Rank - 59/190

Started behind Men, but 9th woman into the water. Liked this kind of start!

Many women who started behind me caught up to me and some swam into me (so I would kick harder to get them off my feet). When possible, I drafted. In last third I caught up to a number of men and had to get around them. Getting out was slowed down a bit dealing with getting around the men and pulled out of water.

Sighting went well as did turning around buoys.

Breathing was comfortable for entire swim and was able to stay focused on stroke and bi-lateral breathing.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster if possible.

I was really pleased with this swim!

My goal time was 45 min, which I beat by almost 3 min.

Transition 1
  • 04m 3s
Comments:

It was raining as I exited water.

Wetsuit was halfway off and caps and goggles were off.

At mat, had to wipe off wet sunglasses and decided not to put on arm coolers.

Transition area was wet and muddy, so I went to exit cautiously so I wouldn't get mud in my cleats (shoes on my feet).

Get changed over more quickly.
Bike
  • 3h 23m 29s
  • 58 miles
  • 17.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Female Rank: 86

Felt reflux earlier than usual and I didn't expect it at all because in training I never experienced it. I was drinking infinit, sipping it at each mile. Had to come out of aero more than I would have liked due to reflux and then because I needed to pee. Did not stop at first rest stop at 15 miles, because thought I could make it to next one (which we were told by RD that it was at mile 35). I had to stop to pee in woods at mile 39 (also refilled aero bottle). Next rest stop wasn't until mile 42. Wished I felt better stomach wise, because physically, I felt as if I could have gone faster. But, I wanted to be sure I could run, so I held back to feel better.

Should have carried Tums with me - may have helped with the reflux.

Wish I knew there were as many climbs as there were so I could have trained on more hills.

Transition 2
  • 04m 28s
Comments:

Glad to be off bike.

Changed socks, including adding body glide to feet. Had to put on knee brace sleeve and knee brace and also get fuel belt on.

Usually I am faster in T2, but I wanted to make sure I had everything on and was ready for the run.

Not put everything on in T2, but do it as I was running out of transition (that's what I usually do).
Run
  • 2h 11m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Female Rank: 73/190
Went to bathroom at very beginning of run.

Was holding back trying to stay at goal pace of 9 min. miles for first few miles, then had to slow down.

Was able to run decently for first 10 miles, then had to dig deep for last 5K.

Was drinking Infinit run formula supplementing with water and ice from aid stations. Dumped ice into top front and back to help stay cool.

Had dry heaves at around 10 miles and took a few min. to regroup, but was then able to run/walk. Need bathroom towards end, which also helped me feel better.

Ran last mile.

Average goal pace was 2 hours - averaging about 9 min. miles. Ran 6.6 miles in first hour, so was on pace, but that fell apart in last 40 min.

Still need to figure out how to run the entire 13.1 at a decent pace. Not sure why the training isn't translating.
Post race
Warm down:

None - had to sit and then lay down to recover. Drank Gatorade, which went right through me - not good!

My recovery drink was in the car, which was parked at hotel. Walked to car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Reflux - not feeling 100%.

Event comments:

Swim course was good - some chop, but not too bad. Really liked the rolling start!

Good job on covering rough spots on very beginning of bike course where we were on airstrip before got to actual road.

Lot of people had flats (not me).
Needed a rest stop sooner than mile 42 on bike course.

Run on boardwalk is a little frustrating in the crowded areas (most of course). Had to dodge tourists and push carts. Little confusing with turns and how far to go in each direction - glad I had my Garmin. I think there were enough aid stations on run, but since I had infinit, I only needed water/ice, so it was enough for me.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-01-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:53 | 2235 yards | 28m 07s / 1500yards
Age Group: 10/43
Overall: 278/556
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Rectangular Swam into current for first 1/4, with current for second half, into current for last 1/4. Exit was onto ramps into water, with assistance.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:23:29 | 58 miles | 17.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/43
Overall: 372/556
Performance: Average
HR Min: 70 Avg: 133 Max: 158
Wind: Headwind
Course: Big Loop mostly flat, but with more climbing than I expected and trained for. It was raining for about first 30 min., which led me to go a little slower because roads were slick. Weather then improved and became sunny, but comfortable temperature-wise. Plenty of shade on ride. There were segments with fairly strong headwind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:11:55 | 13.1 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/43
Overall: 336/556
Performance: Below average
HR Min: 119 Avg: 151 Max: 165
Course: 1 mile run from Bader Field to AC Boardwalk and then loops on boardwalk. No shade and lots of people to dodge on the boardwalk. Rest stops about every 1 to 2 miles (I think)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-06-29 8:52 PM

Subject: Challenge Atlantic City presented by Caesars Triathlon - Half Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Challenge Atlantic City presented by Caesars Triathlon - Half Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Challenge Atlantic City presented by Caesars Triathlon - Half Distance

Started by corduroy
Views: 1105 Posts: 1

2015-06-29 1:01 PM corduroy

Challenge Atlantic City

Started by FELTGood
Views: 2338 Posts: 5

2014-07-08 1:03 PM spiderjunior

Challenge Atlantic City

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 2301 Posts: 8

2014-07-11 7:21 AM TankBoy

Challenge Atlantic City

Started by Hesketh
Views: 2319 Posts: 6

2014-07-03 11:28 AM FELTGood

Atlantic City Marathon & Half Marathon

Started by michael2_19030
Views: 1571 Posts: 1

2008-10-20 8:19 AM michael2_19030
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.