General Discussion Triathlon Talk » another volunteering question..getting impatient! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-30 5:56 PM

Subject: another volunteering question..getting impatient!
Does anyone who's volunteered for an IM event happen to know typically WHEN volunteering opens before a race?? I want to volunteer for IM FL (as I've mentioned in a previous post), and I'm checking multiple times a day to see if it's open..It's not open yet..I emailed the race director who just said something vague about "keep checking, website down right now"...I know it's not until November, but just curious if anyone knows roughly what time volunteering slots typically open so I can possibly get out of my obsessed checking mode..thanks in advance..

2015-06-30 8:36 PM
in reply to: Hilltx

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: another volunteering question..getting impatient!
Originally posted by Hilltx

Does anyone who's volunteered for an IM event happen to know typically WHEN volunteering opens before a race?? I want to volunteer for IM FL (as I've mentioned in a previous post), and I'm checking multiple times a day to see if it's open..It's not open yet..I emailed the race director who just said something vague about "keep checking, website down right now"...I know it's not until November, but just curious if anyone knows roughly what time volunteering slots typically open so I can possibly get out of my obsessed checking mode..thanks in advance..

4-5 months approx. But that varies for each each based on why RD and volunteer coordinators. You are in the same spot as everyone else, no worries.
2015-07-01 8:49 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

Well that would be now! lol..thanks though for answering..I did find some other threads on here that I hadn't seen before that were also helpful..
2015-07-01 4:20 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

I volunteer at IMLP (held late July) most every year and volunteering slots typically open up in January, so 6-7 months out.  I'd recommend you keep checking regularly as the 'good' jobs tend to go quickly, I've found.  Good luck!

2015-07-02 7:58 AM

User image

Check it every day because the volunteer spots go quickly ... very quickly for IMFL. Especially if you want something like the finish line.

I know it's frustrating. I was trying to sign up to volunteer last year. But for some reason I think at some point I knew the date it would start.

Thanks in advance for volunteering. I'll be there racing.
2015-07-03 5:32 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

Thanks Amy..and good luck to you!

2015-07-03 5:58 PM

User image

Pro

So now volunteering for an IM race causes stress?     

Just curious.....not necessarily for the OP.....what happens if you don't get to volunteer? 

2015-07-03 6:59 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain

So now volunteering for an IM race causes stress?     

Just curious.....not necessarily for the OP.....what happens if you don't get to volunteer? 

cracking me up! I got in IMFL this year without volunteering, without sitting at the computer five minutes before stressing. these towns have to love the myth that volunteering is necessary to register -- gets a lot more hotel rooms rented out.
2015-07-06 6:40 PM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

wow that's great! I don't think it's necessarily a "myth" though..it DID sell out in less than a minute in 2013..so..the concern of not getting a spot in the race is probably legit. Maybe this year it wasn't as hot (popular) or maybe you just got really lucky! Hope I get lucky too..
2015-07-06 6:43 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

YES it's causing stress! I'm STILL checking daily...
If you don't get to volunteer you just hope you get lucky...or go to the race and get in line behind the volunteers..that's my plan anyway..
2015-07-06 9:06 PM

User image

How long did it take for volunteer spots to fill up last year?  I didn't know there was such a thing.

2015-07-06 9:08 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

If you get passed over as a volunteer for X number of years do you get a legacy volunteer spot?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » another volunteering question..getting impatient! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Race volunteer questions

Started by cecjap
Views: 673 Posts: 3

2010-07-28 5:35 AM Mrs. brown_dog_us

Questions about volunteering

Started by Kido
Views: 823 Posts: 6

2010-05-04 2:56 PM PinkPrincess

Race volunteering question

Started by Kimmyt
Views: 699 Posts: 8

2008-07-08 9:46 AM Kimmyt

Volunteering- rules regarding the "karma of volunteering"

Started by joelkratzer
Views: 1068 Posts: 8

2007-03-28 4:19 PM coachese

Question about Volunteering at Races

Started by marmadaddy
Views: 647 Posts: 13

2004-09-06 8:23 PM royj
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : July 5, 2008
author : lmscozz
comments : 4
My experience as a volunteer at a sprint triathlon. My reasons for arising before the sun were not to work out, but to volunteer. I wanted to give back to a sport I’m learning to love.
date : February 8, 2007
author : mscotthall
comments : 0
Everyone and anyone that has ever raced in a triathlon should take it upon themselves to volunteer at just one event next season. It is an eye-opening and inspirational experience.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!