Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Summer reading Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-30 9:40 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: Summer reading

I liked this thread from last year. What's on your summer reading list? Will it be filthy romance novels? Theoretical physics? The dictionary?

Me? I'm finally up to a 3rd grade reading level, so it's a book of Calvin and Hobbs comic strips before bed time. Actually I'd like to finally read Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning". After being liberated from Auschwitz, Frankl wrote this in a whopping 9 days and is now listed as one of the ten most influential books in the U.S. Looks like a winner.

So to start the summer off, I'll quote my favorite song: "Take a look, it's in a book, reading rainboooooooow"

2015-07-01 8:13 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Summer reading

Currently reading through the Hunger Games trilogy with my 12 year old.  Next is probably the Divergent books.

I always have A Theory of Moral Sentiments by Adam Smith  as a back up.

2015-07-01 8:46 AM

Originally posted by trijamie

I liked this thread from last year. What's on your summer reading list? Will it be filthy romance novels? Theoretical physics? The dictionary?

Me? I'm finally up to a 3rd grade reading level, so it's a book of Calvin and Hobbs comic strips before bed time. Actually I'd like to finally read Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning". After being liberated from Auschwitz, Frankl wrote this in a whopping 9 days and is now listed as one of the ten most influential books in the U.S. Looks like a winner.

So to start the summer off, I'll quote my favorite song: "Take a look, it's in a book, reading rainboooooooow"

I read that book at the suggestion of someone here, a few years ago. It is EXCELLENT. I think it's one of the best books I've ever read.
2015-07-03 11:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I read Frankl's book a few years back.  I'd read it again.

Today at the beach after my OWS, I noticed a fellow reading the book "Wayward Pines" and thought I may look for the book and maybe read it.

2015-07-05 9:00 PM

User image

I've been assigned The Epic of Gilgamesh for my freshman summer reading project. It's been very strange and confusing so far. I'm hoping I'll start to enjoy it soon.
2015-07-06 10:19 AM

User image

I'm currently finishing up Erik Larson's "Dead Wake." He's probably my favorite historical non-fiction writer at the moment, and this story about the Lusitania's last journey has been another interesting read from him.

Books at the top of my "to read" list...

Fiction:
-"Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad
-"The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins
-I have a David Baldacci & a John Grisham sitting on my shelf that I'll get to sometime.

Non-Fiction:
-"The Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown. This book about the '36 Olympic crew team was enthusiastically recommended to me.
-"The Yosemite" by John Muir. I love his writing. I've made sure to read one of his each summer over the last couple of years.
-I guess I need to add "Man's Search for Meaning" thanks to this thread

2015-07-06 10:37 AM
in reply to: Boilermaker

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Boilermaker I'm currently finishing up Erik Larson's "Dead Wake."

That sounds like a good read. I'll have to check that one out too. Thanks!

2015-07-08 11:21 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
"To Set a Watchman" - This is written by Harper Lee (To Kill a Mockingbird). It's only the 2nd book she's published...a mere 60 years after the first one. Comes out next week.
2015-07-08 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I just finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.

I'm reading Boys in the Boat currently along with a Clive Cussler somethingorother...

2015-07-08 2:39 PM
in reply to: SquirrelGravy

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by SquirrelGravy "To Set a Watchman" - This is written by Harper Lee (To Kill a Mockingbird). It's only the 2nd book she's published...a mere 60 years after the first one. Comes out next week.

My 12 yo and I are planning on reading To Kill A Mockingbird next (one of my favorite books).  Will be getting To Set a Watchman when it comes out.

2015-07-10 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
The Self-Aware Universe - Goswami
Metheny Manifesto
The Sociopath Next Door
The Universe in a Single Atom
Damned - Palanhiuk

2015-07-12 2:13 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Big Little Lies- Liane Moriarty

2015-07-13 10:55 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by Hook'em

Currently reading through the Hunger Games trilogy with my 12 year old.  Next is probably the Divergent books.

I always have A Theory of Moral Sentiments by Adam Smith  as a back up.

My son really liked the Maze Runner series as well. The Maze Runner movie wasn't especially good, compared to the book, but don't let that throw you. I think all three series are good,but if your kid liked Hunger Games and you think they'd like Divergent, you should add the Maze Runner series to the list.
2015-07-13 11:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I loved "Boys in the Boat". It inspired me to go back and read "Seabiscuit", which I read a few years ago and really enjoyed a second time around. Same era, similar story.

I read the first two books in the Cormoran Strike mystery series by Robert Galbraith, called "The Cuckoo's Calling" and "The Silkworm". The author is actually JK Rowling, the Harry Potter series author, writing under what was supposed to have been a pseudonym, until it was inadvertanly revealed. They're both really good, and I can't wait for the next installment. There's nothing remotely related to Harry Potter in either of them, but she's a fun writer to read and if you like mysteries, both books are terrific.

Speaking of Harry Potter, the Magicians series, by Lev Grossman came out a couple of years ago, but I really enjoyed them. It's a bit of an oversimplification to say that they're "Harry Potter for Grownups", but that's kind of what they are-- a group of college age kids discover that they have magical abilities, and it follows their adventures in this world and others that they discover. It's sort of "Harry Potter meets Bright Lights Big City meets The Secret History meets Narnia". But the books are very much written for adults and wouldn't be appropriate for younger readers.

Speaking of the Secret History, it's Donna Tartt's, the author of The Goldfinch, first book, which she wrote about 25 years ago. I haven't read it in years, but I hear that it holds up pretty well.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2015-07-13 11:06 AM
2015-07-13 8:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Nothing fun unfortunately. Studying for my CMA exam. Almost as much fun as watching paint dry.

2015-08-26 10:11 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Two books that I have enjoyed this year:

Erik Larson's Dead Wake about the Lusitania
Christopher McDougall's Natural Born Runner

Honorable Mentions

Mike Matheny's Matheny Manifesto
Mike Lupica's Fathers & Sons & Sports

2015-08-26 10:21 AM
in reply to: ADollar79

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Sweet. That's 2 votes for Dead Wake. 

I finished "Man's Search for Meaning" and it was as awesome as I expected it to be. Definitely gives the reader a lot to think about, and I imagine that won't be the only time I'll read it in my life.

2015-08-27 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Just finished "All the Light We Cannot See", by Anthony Doerr. Enjoyed it from cover to cover. Beautifully written and a great story - authors don't always accomplish both it seems. It is set in WWII in occupied France and centers on a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths cross. It won the 2015 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the 2015 Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction.

Highly recommend it.
2015-10-01 8:35 PM

User image

I just finished up The Martian yesterday & really enjoyed it. I have high hopes for the movie now. For a book so centered on science/engineering/problem solving, it's an easy-to-read, entertaining page-turner. As an engineer, I hope it's turning up on high school summer reading lists...it's the kind of book that just might inspire a kid to pursue those fields.
2015-10-02 8:30 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Boilermaker I just finished up The Martian yesterday & really enjoyed it. I have high hopes for the movie now. For a book so centered on science/engineering/problem solving, it's an easy-to-read, entertaining page-turner. As an engineer, I hope it's turning up on high school summer reading lists...it's the kind of book that just might inspire a kid to pursue those fields.

Awesome. Funny thing about that author. Apparently he had tried publishing other books prior to this one and kept getting turned down, so he wrote the Martian and just put it up on the internet for free, one chapter at a time. Only at the request of his fans did he turn it into an Amazon kindle book which he priced at the bare minimum 99 cents. From there it exploded and instantly turned into a movie deal. Talk about a success story!

2015-10-04 7:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by Boilermaker

I'm currently finishing up Erik Larson's "Dead Wake." He's probably my favorite historical non-fiction writer at the moment, and this story about the Lusitania's last journey has been another interesting read from him.

Books at the top of my "to read" list...

Fiction:
-"Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad
-"The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins
-I have a David Baldacci & a John Grisham sitting on my shelf that I'll get to sometime.

Non-Fiction:
-"The Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown. This book about the '36 Olympic crew team was enthusiastically recommended to me.
-"The Yosemite" by John Muir. I love his writing. I've made sure to read one of his each summer over the last couple of years.
-I guess I need to add "Man's Search for Meaning" thanks to this thread

Since I loved "The Girl on the Train", most Baldacci and Grisham, and the "The Boys in the Boat", I will have to get the other two.

"The Martian" is one of the next ones on my list as well a "Goldfinch".

3/4 of the way thru with one I think that any triathlete will like. Different from tris but same mentality as us. "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Summer reading Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Mid-summer Reading Recommendations Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by the bear
Views: 5046 Posts: 55

2014-07-15 10:21 AM austhokie

Summer Reading Lists anyone? Pages: 1 2

Started by akustix
Views: 2381 Posts: 26

2009-06-29 8:40 AM graceful_dave

Summer Reading? Pages: 1 2

Started by newbiedoo
Views: 3170 Posts: 43

2005-08-01 11:16 AM Chris Tree

I refuse to read Disgusting But thread

Started by Renee
Views: 1543 Posts: 16

2005-07-27 10:40 AM dibujob

Who's reading BT posts on their lunch breaks??

Started by GatorGirl22
Views: 1108 Posts: 18

2004-11-19 2:06 PM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?