General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training on vacation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-01 6:47 PM

Subject: Training on vacation
Hi - I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks and don't think I will have access to a place to swim or bike long distances. I just completed a Sprint Tri this past weekend and signed up for the next one in late September. So it is somewhat early in the plan but any suggestions on how to minimize the impact to my training?

2015-07-01 7:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Training on vacation

Yeah........ rest and enjoy it. 

Take some long walks and do some stretching.

The first few weeks of July is a great time to rest, regroup, recover, and get ready to start building toward your September race.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-07-01 7:29 PM
2015-07-01 8:45 PM
in reply to: mtd157

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I always get in my runs on vacation but just don't worry about biking and swimming. I'm an early riser so I usually have my runs done on vacation before my family is even up.
2015-07-01 9:11 PM
in reply to: #5126176

Thank you both for the advice.
2015-07-01 9:16 PM
in reply to: EKH

Originally posted by EKH

I always get in my runs on vacation but just don't worry about biking and swimming. I'm an early riser so I usually have my runs done on vacation before my family is even up.

x2 Don't sweat it. If you want to train while on vacation just do whatever you can work in. What works for me is actually not planning too much training & just doing whatever I can work in. Much as EKH posts, I am up before everyone else anyway so this is when I work in my workouts & then once everyone else is up I just focus on having fun & enjoying vacation.
2015-07-01 9:20 PM
in reply to: #5126199

Thanks, before I started training I usually ran in the mornings everyday, so I will just be content if I get that in. I was just worried about falling behind on my bike/swim

2015-07-02 6:13 AM
in reply to: 5stones

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by 5stones

Originally posted by EKH

x2 Don't sweat it. If you want to train while on vacation just do whatever you can work in. What works for me is actually not planning too much training & just doing whatever I can work in. Much as EKH posts, I am up before everyone else anyway so this is when I work in my workouts & then once everyone else is up I just focus on having fun & enjoying vacation.

X3

A good time to recharge and do some easy runs for enjoyment. You can check with some local YMCAs for a day pass if you are determined to get some swimming in. I travel in my job and usually contact local YMCAs and they give me a free day pass since I am a YMCA member. Sometimes hotels have passes for local gyms in the area as well.
2015-07-02 11:55 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by Left Brain

The first few weeks of July is a great time to rest, regroup, recover, and get ready to start building toward your September race.

Yep, enjoy your vacation.  Just spent 3 weeks on vacation of the past 5.  Had great plans for doing some running, and went on a grand total of 1 run.  Next year I won't pack the running shoes.   

2015-07-03 11:41 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

For me it's not a vacation unless I can run.
2015-07-04 9:03 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

I had a one of vacation (family graduation) , when I came back, I was more stronger, and broke tons of PR's. I was shocked.I managed squeezed in a little bit or running and swimming here and there because I was afraid to gain weight. I feel it on my run/bike/CLOTHES when I gain unecessary weight .
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training on vacation Rss Feed