General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Infinit On the Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-01 10:39 PM

User image

Subject: Infinit On the Run
After some great suggestions here on the forums on how to change nutrition thinking from HIM to IM (and discussions with my coach), I did research and decided to make the jump to Inifinit custom blend. http://www.infinitnutrition.us/

Very cool how you can dial in everything from Carbs to Protein to flavor strength to caffeine. For me, I liked having a super consistent tailored nutrition plan that I can stick to and tweak. Otherwise, I know I would simply grab whatever is available during training and IM and not really know what works and what does not.

Now to my question:
Dose is 2 scoops in 20-24 oz of water per hour (1 bottle per hour). One the bike, I figure 3 bottles (1/hour) on my bike and 3 in specials needs will work.

I have a fuel belt for the run, but those are only 12oz bottles. You can do double strength, but even then with 2 bottles, that is 1 hour per bottle + course water. Do I again have 2 more double strength bottles at run specials needs?

Plus, using double strength requires you to make up the other 12 oz per hour in water from the course. Is there typically an aid station every 3-4 miles (figuring 7-8 miles per hour~8 min/mile pace) on the run? I am doing IMWI.

Anyone use this product (or similar) and have thoughts?

2015-07-02 9:33 AM
in reply to: scottficek

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Infinit On the Run

Infinit is a great product! I've been using it for years. Here are my tips:

On the bike I recommend triple-concentrating your mix. So 6 scoops per bottle, or a 3-hour bottle. This will minimize the bottles, mixing, and hassle. And yes you'll need to up your water intake to compensate. I put my watch on a timer to beep every 15 minutes, where I take a few big swigs and chase with plenty of water (making sure the Infinit bottle is gone at the 3-hour mark). I start with a 3-hour bottle on my bike, and either grab the other 3-hour bottle at special needs (pre-mixed, this stuff holds up really well and doesn't taste bad warm), or ride with it in the back of my jersey. 

There are typically aid stations every ~10 miles on the bike where you can re-fill water. An aero-bottle for water works best for me - I can just dump and go. No worrying about emptying a bottle cage to free up space.

On the run, it's more rare to hear of folks continuing with Infinit - but I'm sure it's been done. You may find that you're completely sick of the taste after X hours on the bike. I know I am. Best advise is to try it in practice. On the run, there are typically aid stations every mile. A lot of athletes will switch to gels or something different, simply for variety, on the run.

2015-07-02 9:33 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Ok. That makes sense. I had not thought of triple mix.

I did have them make a slightly different mix for run vs bike. Plus I went with different flavors for bike vs run (figuring I would be sick of fruit punch after 6-7 hours). I have a training weekend coming up with a 76 mile bike and then a 10 mile run. I will see how it works.

One follow up question: I have a road bike (yeah, didn't know then what I know now-wish I would have bought a tri-bike). I have never thought about an aero bottle set up. Is that possible/doable/advisable on a road bike?
2015-07-07 10:08 AM

User image

, Louisiana
I have a Trek Madone Road bike that I have aero bars on. I use the Profile Design’s Aero HC System, and I use Infinit Custom blend in it. Backed up with 3 additional bottles to keep it filled. I am registered for my first IM in May of 2016, but have done training runs up to 112 miles and this system works very well. Like one poster said, not sure about using it on the run, there is enough aid stations during the run to keep fueled and hydrated. Just train with what they will be providing. Love the Infinit.
2015-07-07 3:19 PM

User image

I use it on the bike (triple concentrate as above) but not on the run. By the time I got to the run the last thing I wanted was more infinit, if you do use a different formula reduce the protein as the jostling will make it too foamy (for me) to drink
2015-07-08 1:57 PM

User image

Regular
I love Infinit, it has thus far solved my GI issues during LC races.

I used it on both the bike and run at IMFL, and that's my plan for IMLou. Two concentrated 750-800cal bottles on the bike (I started with both bottles at IMFL, but will have one in SN for IMLou), one 300-350cal hand bottle (20oz) for the run. I'll typically switch over to Coke at some point towards the end of the run.

As others are already saying, a lot of it depends on how long you can drink it. I didn't have any problems continuing to drink it on the run. I use fruit punch flavor, but dial the flavor back a lot, and always chase it with water. I tested this out during a few runs after my long bikes in training last year.

For a HIM, I'll use Infinit on the bike but make do with whatever they have at aid stations for the run.

2015-07-08 9:25 PM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Good feedback.

I also have the flavor dialed way back. Almost like very watered down koolaid.

I am excited to try it out on my training this weekend (both bike and run back to back).
2015-07-09 10:28 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by lisac957

Infinit is a great product! I've been using it for years. Here are my tips:

On the bike I recommend triple-concentrating your mix. So 6 scoops per bottle, or a 3-hour bottle. This will minimize the bottles, mixing, and hassle. And yes you'll need to up your water intake to compensate. I put my watch on a timer to beep every 15 minutes, where I take a few big swigs and chase with plenty of water (making sure the Infinit bottle is gone at the 3-hour mark). I start with a 3-hour bottle on my bike, and either grab the other 3-hour bottle at special needs (pre-mixed, this stuff holds up really well and doesn't taste bad warm), or ride with it in the back of my jersey. 

There are typically aid stations every ~10 miles on the bike where you can re-fill water. An aero-bottle for water works best for me - I can just dump and go. No worrying about emptying a bottle cage to free up space.

On the run, it's more rare to hear of folks continuing with Infinit - but I'm sure it's been done. You may find that you're completely sick of the taste after X hours on the bike. I know I am. Best advise is to try it in practice. On the run, there are typically aid stations every mile. A lot of athletes will switch to gels or something different, simply for variety, on the run.

Timely post for me! I'm just over 5 weeks out to my first IM and I'm using Infinit as well and was trying to decide how to carry on the bike. I haven't tested the concentrated bottle + water chaser (although I do have time). I'm not sure how that would work for me but good to know it's an option.

As to the run, I also bought the speed formula which is a different flavor (and zero protein). They also recommended to switch to that with an hour left on the bike to get ready to run (sans protein left in the gut is the idea). Does anyone do that? In my two HIMs I just used water and salt tablets and gels. I like the idea of just using 1 product but I'm not even sure I can carry enough.
2015-07-13 9:13 AM

User image

I use infinit too. I can't use concentrate though. I tried it twice and it's just too sweet for me and I just won't drink it even with the flavor dialed as low as it will go. But that is how a lot of people make it work. For Ironman I start the bike with 3 bottles and pick up three new bottles in special needs. That way I also am just going wide at the water stops the rest of the way.

For the run I find it harder to manage for a marathon. For shorter races it's easier. While I like the slow and steady source of calories carrying all the bottles annoys me and I find it more challenging to stay on the schedule. Also to be honest my stomach isn't totally a fan of all that liquid during a long run.

So for my upcoming Ironman marathon I'm planning one bottle of infinit mix in my special needs bag and the rest of the time water and chews. I can eat one or two chews every mile (I am using Skratch and they're not as calorie dense as gu chomps) and that's easier for my very tired brain to keep track of.

It's really a process of trial and error. While I feel like I've got the bike nutrition figured out I'm not sure about the run nutrition.
2015-07-13 10:18 PM

User image

Ok. Had my IMWI training camp this last weekend. Got to do a HIM basically on Saturday on the IMWI course. Here is my report on Infinit.

Saturday
Ate light at 6am.
Swam OWS 1 hour at 7am
On bike by about 8:30.
Used Infinit bike blend (has protein, no caffeine) on the bike in a triple strength dose in 2 bottles on the frame (gives me 3 hours per bottle). Used another bottle on my bars with just water to wash it down. I would take a small swig of Infinit and then wash down with gulp of water. Was pretty easy drinking that 20 oz per hour rate. Plus, since I used water chaser, I had no aftertaste and never got sick of flavor. Each hour I would be sure to have consumed 1/3 more of the Infinite bottle and the entire water bottle (giving me the recommended 24 oz of fluids/infinit per hour). I would swap water bottle on bars for new one at each station (we set them up about every 15 miles). Did not have any hunger or GI issues, ate nothing else. Biked 70 miles (stick and 1 loop). Very happy!

Immediately off bike and into the run.
In the run, I used Infinit run blend without protein but had caffeine. Ran about 3 miles at top of Z3. Had double strength dose in one 10oz fuel belt bottle (giving me 1 hour). Had water in other bottle and refilled that at water stops. After 3 miles, starting having stomach issues (felt like very strong hunger pains). Ate Kind bar as I thought that I may be just hungry after 8 hours with no food. It did not solve issue. Nothing that stopped my run, but definitely, felt uncomfortable for next 4 miles. Strangely, my stomach was bothering me until midnight even after a full dinner and plenty of other fluids.

Lessons learned:
--For IM bike, I will add another bottle in special needs to get me out to 9 hours (hope I don't need all that!) That one will be run blend without Protein but with caffeine. Like the above post mentioned, my coach also said to stop protein on the bike 1 hour before the run to reduce stomach issues.
--One of the guys at the camp also uses Infinit (he does IM in 9:45 and is training to qualify for Kona). He has a 4 bottle fuel belt for run and is planning to have a 2nd one in special needs ready to go and simply hand off empty and grab new one to get him through 2nd half of run (using 1 bottle per 30 minutes)-he's figuring on 3:05 run time-I'm much slower!

Doing HIM in 2 weeks. Will use these new lessons learned and see if I get this all ironed out!
2015-07-14 9:46 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by scottficek

Ok. Had my IMWI training camp this last weekend. Got to do a HIM basically on Saturday on the IMWI course. Here is my report on Infinit.

Saturday
Ate light at 6am.
Swam OWS 1 hour at 7am
On bike by about 8:30.
Used Infinit bike blend (has protein, no caffeine) on the bike in a triple strength dose in 2 bottles on the frame (gives me 3 hours per bottle). Used another bottle on my bars with just water to wash it down. I would take a small swig of Infinit and then wash down with gulp of water. Was pretty easy drinking that 20 oz per hour rate. Plus, since I used water chaser, I had no aftertaste and never got sick of flavor. Each hour I would be sure to have consumed 1/3 more of the Infinite bottle and the entire water bottle (giving me the recommended 24 oz of fluids/infinit per hour). I would swap water bottle on bars for new one at each station (we set them up about every 15 miles). Did not have any hunger or GI issues, ate nothing else. Biked 70 miles (stick and 1 loop). Very happy!

Immediately off bike and into the run.
In the run, I used Infinit run blend without protein but had caffeine. Ran about 3 miles at top of Z3. Had double strength dose in one 10oz fuel belt bottle (giving me 1 hour). Had water in other bottle and refilled that at water stops. After 3 miles, starting having stomach issues (felt like very strong hunger pains). Ate Kind bar as I thought that I may be just hungry after 8 hours with no food. It did not solve issue. Nothing that stopped my run, but definitely, felt uncomfortable for next 4 miles. Strangely, my stomach was bothering me until midnight even after a full dinner and plenty of other fluids.

Lessons learned:
--For IM bike, I will add another bottle in special needs to get me out to 9 hours (hope I don't need all that!) That one will be run blend without Protein but with caffeine. Like the above post mentioned, my coach also said to stop protein on the bike 1 hour before the run to reduce stomach issues.
--One of the guys at the camp also uses Infinit (he does IM in 9:45 and is training to qualify for Kona). He has a 4 bottle fuel belt for run and is planning to have a 2nd one in special needs ready to go and simply hand off empty and grab new one to get him through 2nd half of run (using 1 bottle per 30 minutes)-he's figuring on 3:05 run time-I'm much slower!

Doing HIM in 2 weeks. Will use these new lessons learned and see if I get this all ironed out!

Still didn't figure out the run though, huh?

I'm leaning towards salt and water (and gels) which is what I'm used to.

2015-07-14 9:39 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

I did use the run blend on a 2 hour training run and was fine. I suspect it was the protein in the bike blend during the run. To further confuse, I tried running with the bike blend (with protein) the next day and did not experience issues although it was a much slower run.

I suspect it has to do with intensity.
2015-09-27 9:39 PM

User image

Update:
Did IMWI. Loved it. Felt great.

Used Infinit on bike. Bonked at about 60 miles. Needed to take a gel and bonk breaker bar. That picked me back up. No hunger pains, though.

Started run strong, 8:45/min miles (quick for me, but not sprinting). Drinking Infinit run blend. Stomach started to give me issues and by mile 6 and I had to stop Infinit. Bonked at about mile 8 and had cramping in hamstrings and slight back spasm (which I never experience). Started taking just water, gatorade and chicken broth at each aid station. After a couple miles, that fixed me up. Pace fell way off to 9:45/mile, but ran the remainder of the run portion.

Next race:Infinit on the bike, but schedule to eat additional food about 1/2 way. Run, no Infinit, back to Gels, water and an occasional Cliff bar.
2015-10-01 2:35 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by scottficek

Update:
Did IMWI. Loved it. Felt great.

Used Infinit on bike. Bonked at about 60 miles. Needed to take a gel and bonk breaker bar. That picked me back up. No hunger pains, though.

Started run strong, 8:45/min miles (quick for me, but not sprinting). Drinking Infinit run blend. Stomach started to give me issues and by mile 6 and I had to stop Infinit. Bonked at about mile 8 and had cramping in hamstrings and slight back spasm (which I never experience). Started taking just water, gatorade and chicken broth at each aid station. After a couple miles, that fixed me up. Pace fell way off to 9:45/mile, but ran the remainder of the run portion.

Next race:Infinit on the bike, but schedule to eat additional food about 1/2 way. Run, no Infinit, back to Gels, water and an occasional Cliff bar.

huh. Thanks for circling back.

I did IMMT and used Infinit on the bike - zero issues. I was hungry right out of the swim though so I had half a banana at the first aid station and then was good to go for the rest.

I decided to carry my nathan pack and used infinit on the run too. Never had any issues and never supplemented with any food (just salt tablets - note to self, up the sodium AGAIN on your next Infinit order).
2015-11-17 12:12 PM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
I had the same dilemna while training for IMAZ in 2013. I love Infinit and got custom blends for the bike and run (different flavors). I realized about halfway through training that I needed more than just liquid nurtition on the bike so I went with a mix of Infinit and solid nutrition (Fig Newton's & PowerBar's). That plan worked well for me and might be worth trying. I set my Garmin to alert me every 30 minutes on bike and I would eat a fig newton, portion on PowerBar, and a swig of Infinit and water.

Like you, I also tried for months to fugure out how to use Infinit on the run but it was too much of a pain. I tried carrying ziplock bags with the infinit to mix while on-course but it was annoying. I switched to Roctane Gu gels mixed with water in a gel flask. The taste was great and the process was convenient. Also took salt tabs to get salt/electrolytes. I was able to get about 18 miles through run on raceday before I ditched plan and started drinking coke and water at aid stations
2015-11-22 11:30 AM
in reply to: devilfan02

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

I have used Infinite for years and love it. The absolute key if you are going to use multiple hour bottles on the bike is drinking lots of water. I didn't do that in IMKY this last October and it didn't work out so well on my run. Lisa's suggestion is great, just remember the water! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Infinit On the Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Infinit frothing during long runs

Started by Catwoman
Views: 2504 Posts: 10

2011-05-25 2:53 PM mendeldave

Why Infinit over other products and who didn't use Infinit? Pages: 1 2

Started by stchase34
Views: 4715 Posts: 48

2009-05-03 10:31 AM keyone

InfinIT mix being served at Spirit of Racine

Started by Steve in IL
Views: 820 Posts: 2

2007-07-15 11:06 PM Steve in IL

Infinit?

Started by cadreamer
Views: 1147 Posts: 4

2007-03-24 3:48 PM Bill

infinIT nutrition Pages: 1 2

Started by Mimir98
Views: 3097 Posts: 28

2006-09-28 11:54 PM ChrisM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 3
So what is behind the Infinit line of custom nutrition products? We took a trip to the Infinit world headquarters and conducted an in-depth review of the Infinit Nutrition product.