General Discussion Triathlon Talk » London Triathlon Swim Start Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-03 4:00 AM

Subject: London Triathlon Swim Start
Hello,

I am doing The London Triathlon (super sprint) as my first triathlon.

I was wondering how the timing at the start works? Is the swim time based on the gun, or your chip going past a sensor?

I don't fancy getting kicked or swum over, so was thinking about hanging back... but would that affect my time? Or going wide, but then I have to swim further..... I expect a swim time of 10-11 minutes (unless I improve hugely in next 5 weeks), not fast, but looking at last years swim times 70% were slower than that, so no idea where to put myself for the swim.

Also any tips on the ankle chip? Is it easy to get the wetsuit off over it? Any chance of losing it on the swim?

Any advice would be awesome, thanks

Edited by Flameangel 2015-07-03 4:01 AM

2015-07-03 7:02 AM
in reply to: Flameangel

User image

Subject: RE: London Triathlon Swim Start
Welcome to an awesome sport. I started with a super sprint three years ago and have been going ever since.

I don't know what the start is like at London but typically, you start in waves which means a whole bunch of people starting at the same time. You can hold back and wait until a lot of others have started but that will count on your time. Probably your best bet if you're nervous is to go to one of the sides. It doesn't add as much distance to your swim as you would think.

Your timing chip should go around your ankle under your wet suit. I've never had problems getting my wetsuit off over it. I put Bodyglide on my heels and wrists to help the suit come off easier.

As a precaution, I stick a safety pin on it because they can come off if the velcro is getting old.

Have a great race.
2015-07-04 2:53 AM
in reply to: b2run

Originally posted by b2run

Welcome to an awesome sport. I started with a super sprint three years ago and have been going ever since.

I don't know what the start is like at London but typically, you start in waves which means a whole bunch of people starting at the same time. You can hold back and wait until a lot of others have started but that will count on your time. Probably your best bet if you're nervous is to go to one of the sides. It doesn't add as much distance to your swim as you would think.

Your timing chip should go around your ankle under your wet suit. I've never had problems getting my wetsuit off over it. I put Bodyglide on my heels and wrists to help the suit come off easier.

As a precaution, I stick a safety pin on it because they can come off if the velcro is getting old.

Have a great race.

Thank you!

I didn't realise until after I had posted, that this is a US forum, so probably not many people have done the London Tri..... Doh!

My wetsuit doesn't do down to my ankles, it ends mid calf, so putting chip under it is not really possible. Safety pin is a good idea.
2015-07-04 3:52 AM

User image

I've done London a few times.

You get into the water and float between two buoys.  Then the gun goes off - that's when you time starts (not from when you cross the 'start' line.

London's in waves of 50ish people so there's not too much bashing about.

One thing to bear in mind is that you swim from west to east and depending on the time of day that your swim start is, the sun can be low and bright so it's worth getting tinted goggles.  

There are lots and lots of wave starts at london so the chances are you can get down there early (or the day before if you're racing on Sunday) and really get a good idea for how things work.

2015-07-06 6:35 AM

User image

Originally posted by Flameangel

Originally posted by b2run

Have a great race.

Thank you!

I didn't realise until after I had posted, that this is a US forum, so probably not many people have done the London Tri..... Doh!

My wetsuit doesn't do down to my ankles, it ends mid calf, so putting chip under it is not really possible. Safety pin is a good idea.

I think that most people who use this are from the U.S. but there are a lot from other countries (including me) who aren't. It's a good resource nevertheless.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » London Triathlon Swim Start Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IMLP swim start tips or any 2500+ mass swim start tips...if any Pages: 1 2

Started by FELTGood
Views: 4385 Posts: 30

2013-09-07 12:41 PM FELTGood

Swim starts for 140.6 always mass start?

Started by bgeyeguy
Views: 1332 Posts: 12

2012-01-11 3:44 PM FELTGood

Swim speeds for FOP/MOP/BOP swim start

Started by lamb_y2003
Views: 490 Posts: 1

2011-05-24 10:39 PM lamb_y2003

Swim speeds for FOP/MOP/BOP swim start

Started by lamb_y2003
Views: 588 Posts: 1

2011-05-24 10:38 PM lamb_y2003

Time Trial Swim Starts vs Mass or Wave starts

Started by browncd
Views: 2362 Posts: 13

2008-03-06 4:09 PM bhoover10001
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 27, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 5
Are you a new swimmer starting your triathlon training? Here are some top answers to member questions as you begin your triathlon swim training.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.

date : August 22, 2006
Abitaman #3 swim triathlon wallpaper provided by tri_it_cajun_style.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : March 5, 2006
There was a long run from the water to the transition area at the London Tri but I quickly found my bike and headed out onto the road.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
The start for everyone is a crazy cluster of splashing. Here are some tips to deal with what some consider being the toughest part of any triathlon.

date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.