General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathletes' thoughts on coaching Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-07-06 1:50 PM
in reply to: Toffels

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Triathletes' thoughts on coaching

Originally posted by Toffels
Originally posted by bcagle25 I see several people posting that they will not win their AG or they will not do this so they have no need for a coach. This confuses me, first you put a limiter on your potential, then you claim a coach is only worth it if you will win the race or your AG? I have seen several athletes get coaches and reach a level of performance they never thought possible. Some won their AG some didn't but with the help of a coach they accomplished things well beyond their initial expectations.
...like it or not my job has to take priority. I'm working at least 50 hours a week, and have recently had to shuffle work out plans on a weekend to be at work. I enjoy my job so working all the extra hours (40 hours/week is supposed to be the "norm") isn't a big deal for me, but I still would feel almost as if I'm cheating myself out of money every time I missed a workout I paid my coach to set up for me because my job interfered. Then I'd have to tell my coach, "Oh, I missed the workout because of work". I'm sure most coaches would be positive and roll with it, but knowing my luck I'd end up with someone that was all like "Grr, that's not good enough! Stop skipping workouts for your job, tri is your life!" I don't need that in my life...

This is a good example of what is meant when someone says it's important for a coach and athlete to be a good match.  ALL of my clients are in your situation.  None are elites who train and race first, and everything else in life comes a distant second.

So, no offense, but your logic regarding not having a coach because of missing workouts due to work commitments is completely backwards.  The right coach for you would need to be one who includes unlimited schedule adjustments in their services.  I have several athletes who send me texts when things come up, and I either tell them in a text how to adjust training, we have a quick phone conversation about it, or I jump on TrainingPeaks, and adjust it for them there.  The objective is to remove the stress that they feel when they're training for a big race, and life throws them curve balls that derail training from what was originally planned.  My athletes chill out about it, and trust that I'll keep them on track for their targeted event.  They get to just train to their heart's content without worrying about whether what they're doing is right or not, because they trust me to make sure they are.

2015-07-06 2:03 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by bcagle25 I see several people posting that they will not win their AG or they will not do this so they have no need for a coach. This confuses me, first you put a limiter on your potential, then you claim a coach is only worth it if you will win the race or your AG? I have seen several athletes get coaches and reach a level of performance they never thought possible. Some won their AG some didn't but with the help of a coach they accomplished things well beyond their initial expectations.
...like it or not my job has to take priority. I'm working at least 50 hours a week, and have recently had to shuffle work out plans on a weekend to be at work. I enjoy my job so working all the extra hours (40 hours/week is supposed to be the "norm") isn't a big deal for me, but I still would feel almost as if I'm cheating myself out of money every time I missed a workout I paid my coach to set up for me because my job interfered. Then I'd have to tell my coach, "Oh, I missed the workout because of work". I'm sure most coaches would be positive and roll with it, but knowing my luck I'd end up with someone that was all like "Grr, that's not good enough! Stop skipping workouts for your job, tri is your life!" I don't need that in my life...

This is a good example of what is meant when someone says it's important for a coach and athlete to be a good match.  ALL of my clients are in your situation.  None are elites who train and race first, and everything else in life comes a distant second.

So, no offense, but your logic regarding not having a coach because of missing workouts due to work commitments is completely backwards.  The right coach for you would need to be one who includes unlimited schedule adjustments in their services.  I have several athletes who send me texts when things come up, and I either tell them in a text how to adjust training, we have a quick phone conversation about it, or I jump on TrainingPeaks, and adjust it for them there.  The objective is to remove the stress that they feel when they're training for a big race, and life throws them curve balls that derail training from what was originally planned.  My athletes chill out about it, and trust that I'll keep them on track for their targeted event.  They get to just train to their heart's content without worrying about whether what they're doing is right or not, because they trust me to make sure they are.

Lots of people mention if they miss a workout they feel they are wasting their money. But the point of the program isn't to complete all the workouts, unless that is a laid out goal. It is to maximize your training for a peak performance to reach your goal, and sometimes it is okay to miss a workout.

The most successful athletes I have seen have some common traits in sport, one is the ability to let go when life gets in the way and realize if you miss a workout there is probably a good reason, even several pros miss workouts. As long as a pattern of this doesn't develop and it's not a key session it probably will benefit them in the long run.

I gotta get back on the email I owe you and everyone else too
2015-07-08 9:47 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Originally posted by TriMyBest
So, no offense, but your logic regarding not having a coach because of missing workouts due to work commitments is completely backwards.

When I first read this, I thought it was a bit harsh, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized you were right. As such, I've taken what is for me a big step and joined a workout program at the local community center. I don't have a personal coach, but every Tuesday and Thursday morning from 5:45-6:45 I'll meet up with other individuals (currently two others, but enrollment is still open) and have a coached swim session/"practice".

The class is billed as a "triathlon conditioning" class, and the description says that there will be "strength drills, endurance building, stroke refinement and streamlining". It also says that I'll be placed in lap lanes with people of similar ability (which makes sense) and that it's perfect for people who compete in Master's swim programs (which I don't).

Given that description, I'm expecting it to be a very swim-heavy class, which is fine for me. I swam competitively for 8 years, but in high school my coach wasn't really a swim coach. He understood really well how to make a good challenging workout, but didn't really grasp the mechanics of the strokes. He had never been a swimmer and took on the swim coach job mainly because no one else wanted it and he could use the extra money. While I really liked him as a person, I never really got any help with my stroke in high school. Some of the other athletes were willing to help me out, but I was pretty much on my own, so I'm looking forward to finally getting help with my form. As I said before, it's currently "good enough", but I'm looking forward now to moving past that and making it "good".

I doubt I would have even looked into his without your advice, so thanks for that! It got me out of my comfort zone, which is exactly what I needed. I'm still not 100% comfortable looking for a personal coach yet, but we'll see how this goes and maybe that will change. In any case, I expect this will help with the HIM I'm signed up for in October. If I can make it through the swim in that race in 45-55 minutes, I'll be happy because that would give me plenty of time to finish the bike portion before the sag wagon shows up.

Thanks again for the good advice!
2015-07-08 10:46 AM
in reply to: mkerikss

User image

My reasons have all been summed up here already.

* Cost
* I don't want another boss to be accountable to
* I'm not a people person

At the heart of it all, I am in this because I enjoy swimming and biking and running. I get stressed out very easily comparing my time from this year's race to last year's to see if I've improved. After several season in the sport, doing more or less the same local race circuit, it started to suck the enjoyment out of it for me. Last year and this year I have made a point of doing races I have never done before simply so that I wouldn't have comparitors out there. I'm not competitive and I am completely OK with not reaching my full potential in the sport. I guess I am not a very ambitious triathlete and I don't think coaching would provide much benefit because of it!
2015-07-08 11:59 AM
in reply to: Toffels

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by TriMyBest So, no offense, but your logic regarding not having a coach because of missing workouts due to work commitments is completely backwards.
When I first read this, I thought it was a bit harsh, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized you were right. As such, I've taken what is for me a big step and joined a workout program at the local community center. I don't have a personal coach, but every Tuesday and Thursday morning from 5:45-6:45 I'll meet up with other individuals (currently two others, but enrollment is still open) and have a coached swim session/"practice". The class is billed as a "triathlon conditioning" class, and the description says that there will be "strength drills, endurance building, stroke refinement and streamlining". It also says that I'll be placed in lap lanes with people of similar ability (which makes sense) and that it's perfect for people who compete in Master's swim programs (which I don't). Given that description, I'm expecting it to be a very swim-heavy class, which is fine for me. I swam competitively for 8 years, but in high school my coach wasn't really a swim coach. He understood really well how to make a good challenging workout, but didn't really grasp the mechanics of the strokes. He had never been a swimmer and took on the swim coach job mainly because no one else wanted it and he could use the extra money. While I really liked him as a person, I never really got any help with my stroke in high school. Some of the other athletes were willing to help me out, but I was pretty much on my own, so I'm looking forward to finally getting help with my form. As I said before, it's currently "good enough", but I'm looking forward now to moving past that and making it "good". I doubt I would have even looked into his without your advice, so thanks for that! It got me out of my comfort zone, which is exactly what I needed. I'm still not 100% comfortable looking for a personal coach yet, but we'll see how this goes and maybe that will change. In any case, I expect this will help with the HIM I'm signed up for in October. If I can make it through the swim in that race in 45-55 minutes, I'll be happy because that would give me plenty of time to finish the bike portion before the sag wagon shows up. Thanks again for the good advice!

Great!  Have fun with it!

2015-07-08 12:14 PM
in reply to: mkerikss

User image

Extreme Veteran

I don't race much at all.  I usually participate in a few races a year.  One 70.3 and a couple half marathons.  Maybe a marathon here or there.  Honestly I really don't care about making podium.  I'm just happy to be moving and I don't put that much interest in speed and winning my age group.  I'm sure if I hired the right coach I will get faster.  Until then, I will teach myself and enjoy learning along the way.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathletes' thoughts on coaching Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Swim lessons/coach thoughts....

Started by TXTriNewbie
Views: 677 Posts: 5

2011-04-19 5:59 PM bryancd

Question for triathletes using coaches

Started by Ian123
Views: 1403 Posts: 18

2008-03-21 11:17 PM OrbeaMan

I thought my swim coach was nice

Started by graceful_dave
Views: 1733 Posts: 11

2008-01-15 8:14 PM newleaf

My introspective thoughts about triathletes Pages: 1 2

Started by brownlab
Views: 1447 Posts: 29

2007-09-28 7:41 AM D.K.

PC Coach, any thoughts?

Started by jase714
Views: 891 Posts: 2

2005-09-20 7:47 PM cadreamer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.

comments : 2
Details on how athletes can connect with registered BT coaches for training plans and personal triathlon coaching.
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Just because it makes you want to cheer, here are some more video clips.
date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.