General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need input on some bike questions... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-04 12:57 AM

User image

Expert
Montana
Subject: I need input on some bike questions...
Feel free to answer any part, or all, of this query.

I am seriously considering replacing my bike (roadie). The one I ride now is 59cm, and I'm finally willing to admit that I think it is too big. I am 5'10", average in torso/leg ratio I think, but it was a great deal when I was just starting out. I typically race one sprint tri in April, and one in August. I ride a 130-mile charity ride at the end of June. The ride has some extreme climbing.

The more I read, and the more I shop on line, the less I feel like I know.

For instance, I have read that a compact crank set (is this the same as 'chainset'?) will give you better climbing ability, but could limit your speed on the flat because you could run out of gears before you run out of leg. Is that so? If it is, why can I only find women's bikes with 50/34 crank set? I'm really strong on the flat, and I would hate to lose that advantage.

Is 50/34 a compact crank set? I thought a regular crank set was around 53/39???

I've been told that women typically have longer legs than a man of the same height. The man typically has a longer torso. Thus, women's bikes are designed to accommodate the shorter torso. But, wouldn't it be pretty much the same to ride a men's bike of the correct size? What difference is there in geometry from men's to women's?

What's the deal with disc brakes on road bikes?

I'll probably think of other questions, but it I need some sleep. Thanks!

2015-07-04 7:57 AM
in reply to: Shoeless

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: I need input on some bike questions...

If you're 5'10" and of normal proportions I can guarantee you a 59 is WAY TOO big for you.  A 56 would probably be too big as well.  I'd bet my house you're a 54 or a medium or whatever they call sizes nowadays.

Compact gearing is usually 50/34.  Semi-compact is 52/36.  Standard is 53/39 (sometimes you may see 54/42 on some tri bikes).

So the compact is in theory a better climbing setup than a standard but your gearing also depends on your rear cassette.  If you ran a 50/34 but a 12-23 cassette, the gearing may actually be worse for climbing than a 53/39 with a 11-28.  Assuming the same cassette the 50/34 will climb easier than a 53/39.

You won't run out of gears in the flats on a 50/34.  You're not that powerful, none of us are.  The only worry about running out of gears is when going downhill or with a serious tailwind.

You can read the geometry charts to see difference between a men's bike and an actual women's bike.

Disc brakes help with braking but it's a whole lot of overkill, IMO.

2015-07-04 12:17 PM
in reply to: #5126612

Would highly recommend when seeking a bike to get a professional bike fit. This will allow you choose a bike that fits you.
2015-07-04 1:20 PM
in reply to: Shoeless

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I've been riding a compact crank for the past year in Miami and I've never had a problem with running out of gears. The only time I've every "ran out of gears" was going down hill approaching 40 mph. I have a really small rear cassette though 11-23 or 25. Now i'm in Durham, NC and I need to change my rear cassette to get a few more gears for going uphill. I don't think I need more gears for going down because I honestly don't need or want to go that fast.
2015-07-05 9:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I found this site helped ease my concerns when I was trying to decide what type of crank to get:
http://www.machars.net/bikecalc.htm (click the speed tab)

Put in the front size and see how little of a difference it makes at 90RPM. I went with a compact since I almost never use the lowest gear, except when I have a really nice tailwind. Making it so I don't mash the pedals to get up a hard hill seemed like a better benefit overall. That and I can still hit 30+ mph for the rare instances when it happens.

Edited by Blastman 2015-07-05 9:34 AM
2015-07-05 2:09 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Agree that 59 is probably way too big. I'm almost 5'8" and have two Trek road bikes (one on each continent): the 52 is a bit on the small side and makes me feel too squished up with aerobars, but is very comfortable for long rides out of aero, and the 54 is a bit on the large side but again, comfortable as a road bike for long rides. So guessing a 54 would probably be a good fit for you, though it does vary with the model. My tri bike (Cervelo) is a 51 and a great fit. Exactly what a "woman's" and "men's" bike is varies depending on the brand and model. Some are basically the same geometry, with different color schemes, and smaller sizes in the "women's" models; others actually have somewhat different geometry. Both times I've done a professional fitting, the fitter has made the comment that for most brands/models, there is little meaningful difference in geometry and for many taller women, there is no real need to consider a "women's" bike. This despite the fact that on paper, I would seem to fit the description of the rider the women's models are designed for--fairly long arms and legs for my height, narrow shoulders, lightweight, etc.

2015-07-05 6:22 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Expert
Montana
Originally posted by Blastman

I found this site helped ease my concerns when I was trying to decide what type of crank to get:
http://www.machars.net/bikecalc.htm (click the speed tab)

Put in the front size and see how little of a difference it makes at 90RPM. I went with a compact since I almost never use the lowest gear, except when I have a really nice tailwind. Making it so I don't mash the pedals to get up a hard hill seemed like a better benefit overall. That and I can still hit 30+ mph for the rare instances when it happens.

Thanks, that is helpful!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need input on some bike questions... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Renting a Tri Bike for IMAZ... Need Input

Started by AthenaTri
Views: 2168 Posts: 24

2014-08-16 3:27 PM Joblin

I don't get it.....bike gurus I need input

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 1051 Posts: 16

2011-07-23 9:07 PM RazorTri

Buying a first bike; need some input

Started by GorgeousGeorge
Views: 646 Posts: 4

2010-02-06 12:49 PM Thomasski

Bike Kit Input Needed

Started by ironman2010
Views: 1542 Posts: 9

2007-03-07 2:51 PM briderdt

Need Bike Resistance Trainer Input

Started by Pearl Dad
Views: 914 Posts: 5

2006-08-14 9:07 PM DarrellC
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 5, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
The grand pull to Kona is both a product of our sport's mythology, marketing, and the intangible desires that each create.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.