General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Warm water swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-04 9:33 AM

User image

Subject: Warm water swimming
My first triathlon was a cold water swim and I had a full wetsuit over a two piece tri shorts/shirt. My next race will be a warmer water swim. Wetsuits probably won't be allowed because the water is 80 degrees now, though the race is in 2 months. Should I swim in my shirt or put it on at transition? Any tips for getting it on quickly? Would you wear a wetsuit if it was allowed? Are shorts that make you more buoyant legal in a BBSC sponsored triathlon?

2015-07-04 9:40 AM
in reply to: Keithb00ne

User image

Subject: RE: Warm water swimming
Originally posted by Keithb00ne

My first triathlon was a cold water swim and I had a full wetsuit over a two piece tri shorts/shirt. My next race will be a warmer water swim. Wetsuits probably won't be allowed because the water is 80 degrees now, though the race is in 2 months. Should I swim in my shirt or put it on at transition? Any tips for getting it on quickly? Would you wear a wetsuit if it was allowed? Are shorts that make you more buoyant legal in a BBSC sponsored triathlon?

Reading the USAT rules, would these shorts be considered a wetsuit or illegal floating device?
2015-07-04 9:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Keithb00ne My first triathlon was a cold water swim and I had a full wetsuit over a two piece tri shorts/shirt. My next race will be a warmer water swim. Wetsuits probably won't be allowed because the water is 80 degrees now, though the race is in 2 months. Should I swim in my shirt or put it on at transition? Any tips for getting it on quickly? Would you wear a wetsuit if it was allowed? Are shorts that make you more buoyant legal in a BBSC sponsored triathlon?

My first triathlon (70.3) that I trained for was this April.  It was open water, and yes I wore a wet suit.  I have a full wet suit and it drops my pace from about a 1:55 min/100 meters to about 1:45 min/100 meters.  So yes, I would wear a wet suit if it is legal.  I wear a speedo Jammer Short swim suit under my wet suit (those are the long tight style that look like bike shorts).  I don't wear my shirt under the wet suit.  I tried in practice and it constricted my arm movement on the swim and absorbed about 5 lbs of water (it is an Under Armour stretchy compression shirt and not designed to go in water).  The first thing I put on in T1 after the wet suit is off in my shirt.  It take all of 5 seconds to put over my head put my arms through and tuck in.  When your skin is wet it can get stuck.  So if you want to go fast you will need to practice.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-07-04 9:57 AM
2015-07-04 11:14 AM

User image

Expert
Montana
If the water is already 80 degrees, and you have two months of summer left to heat it up, I wouldn't wear a wetsuit; too hot imo.
2015-07-04 12:34 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
I'd just wear my tri kit in those temps or higher. That or one of these:

http://www.tri-oswego.com/includes/USAT_approved_skinsuits_and_spee...

A full wetsuit might make you overheat and may force you to slow down.

"USAT rules state that competitors may wear wetsuits if the water temperature is 78 degrees or lower. USAT rules also state that if the water temperature is between 78.1 - 83.9 degrees, competitors may wear wetsuits but will not be eligible for awards."

I'm not certain about swim buoyant shorts though. I've never heard anyone ask about that before.
2015-07-05 3:42 PM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I would wear a wet suit if it is legal. 

Note:  A wet suit WON"T be legal if the water temps continue to rise (but if you get solid rain for a month or something and it is cool enough for a wet suit I would wear it).  If you have a triathlon kit that would of course be ideal to swim in for warmer water but since you are asking wether you should wear a shirt on the swim or put it on in T1 I assume that isn't the case.  Unless you have a Triathlon shirt that is made for swimming it I wouldn't wear it in the water.  If you have the wrong material and cut it will significantly increase your drag and kill you on the swim.  Then is will weigh you down out of the water too.  It would be better to take the 5 seconds in transition to put a dry shirt in T1 than to wear a wet one.  Try it in practice first if you can.  See how it feels both ways in the water then you can make the best decision based on your own gear.

2015-07-05 8:57 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

Unless you have a Triathlon shirt that is made for swimming it I wouldn't wear it in the water.  If you have the wrong material and cut it will significantly increase your drag and kill you on the swim.  

Why would a "triathlon" shirt not be made to accommodate swimming?
2015-07-05 9:19 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Maybe a matter of fit? I have several "tri tops" that I wouldn't think of wearing for a non-wetsuit swim, since they don't fit snugly enough around the waist and would thus cause a lot of drag on the swim. Maybe not a big deal for some, but for anyone with a competitive swim background who's used to those super-tight competition suits, it drives you absolutely nuts. If the chest fits, the waist flaps; if the waist fits, I can't get it on, or if I can, I can't breathe! Probably guys with muscular chests/arms but small waists (swimmer-type builds) would also have trouble finding a top that really worked for the swim. It's why I do those races in a one-piece compression suit.

I guess if I were a guy I'd go with whatever was most comfortable for a warm water race, and a onesie or jammers would probably be better than all but a really well-fitting two-piece. I'm pretty sure that the buoyancy shorts are not allowed in a race that's not wetsuit legal. At least for USAT, there is something about no neoprene or other buoyancy materials/aids. I once asked (in a race that was not deemed wetsuit legal although temps probably were in the range) about wearing a rashguard top made of very thin neoprene mix and was told by the RD that it was not allowed. Just used it for warmup and froze my butt off in the race. It doesn't have to be a wetsuit to violate the rules.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-07-05 9:22 PM
2015-07-05 10:19 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by kloofyroland

Unless you have a Triathlon shirt that is made for swimming in I wouldn't wear it in the water.  If you have the wrong material and cut it will significantly increase your drag and kill you on the swim.  

Why would a "triathlon" shirt not be made to accommodate swimming?

"UNLESS"....is the key word here.  If you do have a Triathlon shirt that is made for swimming then there is no reason for this thread.  I think this thread is for people that don't have Triathlon specific race clothing.  If you look at the race photos of small local sprint triathlons you will see that triathlon specific clothing is the exception and not the norm for many of those races.  I agree that a Triathlon specific shirt should be worn for all three legs of the race, but since most people participating in their first Triathlon don't have a triathlon specific shirt I can't make a blanket statement that everyone should wear their shirt for the swim.  

As part of lifesaving training when I was a teen we had to jump in the water with all of our cloth over our swim trunks.  I just about drown in the time it took to kick off my trousers and shirt.  I could tread water in my swim trunks for 20 minutes comfortably, but after about 90 seconds with poly-cotton street cloths I knew that I would not be able to keep my head above the water much more than a few minutes with the additional clothing on.  I can't imagine trying to swim a triathlon with a non-tri shirt on.  Any material that absorbs water or that isn't a skin tight fit will make swimming a real challenge.  If you don't have a Tri-shirt I don't think that you are going to want to swim in it. Try it in practice and if it doen't work to swim in then just leave in at the T1 and put in on in transition. That is what I do.  :-)

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-07-05 10:44 PM
2015-07-06 12:02 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Ahhh, good points! I wouldn't swim with a loose fitting wicking shirt either.

Back to the op... I recommend you contact the race director as well about your shorts question if you haven't done so yet.

ETA: Is the shirt your talking about a compression type shirt or loose fitting wicking shirt? If it's the wicking, I recommend leaving it off and putting it on in T1.

Edited by kloofyroland 2015-07-06 12:05 AM
2015-07-06 2:39 PM

New user
Which race are you planning on doing? Pumpkinman should be wetsuit legal. LV Tri might not be, it depends on where they take the temp.

What tri shorts were you planning on using? I know De Soto makes some with a floating pad that they say are legal.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Warm water swimming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swimming in warm/hot water

Started by TriDadinAsheville
Views: 2303 Posts: 19

2014-01-13 5:27 AM Dunn Right

warm water on bike and other random ?'s

Started by newbie13
Views: 1057 Posts: 17

2007-06-19 7:33 AM Rocket Man

effect of swimming in warmer water

Started by rotceh222
Views: 963 Posts: 5

2007-04-28 10:08 PM mcole158

cold water + vaseline...warm or crazy?

Started by madeye
Views: 3973 Posts: 7

2005-04-13 9:47 AM madeye

worried about warm water no wetsuit (Newbie)

Started by jeanneroth
Views: 776 Posts: 3

2004-06-16 4:54 PM TriClyde
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Jen Doyle
Often athletes forget the fitness basics such as warm up and cool down. We know they are important, but we want to get into the meat of our workout without wasting time.
date : September 3, 2004
Some yoga poses to help endurance athletes prevent injuries through stretching.

date : September 3, 2004
Reasons why yoga will help endurance athletes prevent injuries through stretching.