General Discussion Race Reports! » Righteous Richland Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Righteous Richland Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Richland, Washington
United States
https://3rrr.org/
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 49s
Overall Rank = 98/118
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Drove 1 1/2 hours to the event site. Ate whole wheat bagels with cream cheese on the way down and drank a bottle of PowerAde. Decided not to have any caffeine pre-event, so skipped soda.
Event warmup:

Tested my bike in the parking lot. Used the facilities. Walked the half mile to the swim start and swam a few strokes.
Swim
  • 13m 25s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Thought I was starting toward the back of the pack, but I inadvertently positioned myself to start at the front and had to spend the first few minutes dealing with fighting people for room. I couldn't get into my breathing rhythm. For some reason, I have this panic reflex to try to breath when I put my face in the water. Had to slow down and concentrate on my breathing. Also, forgot to take current into account and swam too far out, and then had to angle too sharply back to the shore to catch the exit and almost overshot it.
What would you do differently?:

Need to figure out my breathing during starts. Also, remember to take current into account.
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

This was a good transition. As I ran into the transition area, I saw there were lots of bikes still racked, which gave me a lot of encouragement.

I think I did this transition well. Rank 72/118, which is below normal for me.
Bike
  • 51m 22s
  • 12 miles
  • 14.02 mile/hr
Comments:

I passed a lot of people. Only two people passed me, and I passed one of those before the end of the ride. I rode hard on the pavement and on the trail. I thought I did well. I really pushed myself. I have no idea why I was so slow in comparison with everyone else. I really thought I did well.

Ride faster, I guess.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Took a few seconds in transition to drink some PowerAde. Grabbed two squishy water bottles and put them in my jersey pockets as I ran. One water bottle had PowerAde, the other plain water.

Nothing. I think I did well. Rank 68/118, which is low for me.
Run
  • 37m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought I did well on the run. I maintained 5.0 mph average for the first two miles, and then slowed down a bit and ran the last half mile pretty slowly, but I was going as fast as I could. They had lots of water stations because of the heat, and I would dump two cups of water on me as I went through each station. I drank all my PowerAde and some of my bottled water. I found this very helpful so the heat was not an issue for me.

Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Collapsed at the finish line for a few minutes, and then went and jumped in the river with everyone else.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My body. I need to lose more weight to make it easier to run, and also just go faster. I need to swim faster, ride faster, and run faster.

Event comments:

Gender Rank: 26/35. I was really surprised to find out I was 98 of 118 overall. I thought for sure I would have placed much higher as there were so many bikes left in T1 when I got there, and only one person passed me. I passed a bunch of people on the bike. I didn't think that many people passed me on the run, and also it seemed I passed a lot of people heading out to the turnaround as I was already heading back. And when I was in the river, I watched a bunch of people continue to cross the finish line. It seemed like way more than 20! But, I cut 31 minutes off last year's time, so that's a plus. I'll be stronger and faster next year!

Last updated: 2014-11-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:25 | 880 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 101/118
Performance:
Suit:
Course: From the boat dock to the other side of the fishing dock.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:19
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:51:22 | 12 miles | 14.02 mile/hr
Overall: 92/118
Wind: None
Course: About a third of this course was off-road.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:45 | 03.11 miles | 12m 08s  min/mile
Overall: 104/118
Course: We ran the opposite way this time (to the left out of transition, instead of to the right). Paved path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-07-04 10:23 PM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: Righteous Richland Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Righteous Richland Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Righteous Richland Sprint Triathlon

Started by burner2
Views: 1291 Posts: 1

2014-07-05 9:08 PM burner2

Started by JMINPNW
Views: 1026 Posts: 1

2009-07-06 12:33 PM JMINPNW

Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Sprint Distance (Triathlon - Sprint)

Started by jamievalocchi
Views: 1345 Posts: 1

2008-10-30 1:35 PM jamievalocchi

Started by elelen
Views: 1707 Posts: 4

2007-07-06 12:31 PM elelen

Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Sprint Distance (Triathlon - Sprint)

Started by ABQkid
Views: 2067 Posts: 2

2007-05-10 10:01 PM lobo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.