General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Crest Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pacific Crest Long Course Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sunriver, Oregon
United States
AA Sports
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 23m 49s
Overall Rank = 47/258
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/34
Pre-race routine:

Pretty routine for my routine! Got up about 30 mins before my alarm. Took in the beauty of the sunrise at Sunriver. A bowl of cereal on the drive out to Wickiup. God bless my wife for getting up early and driving us to Wickiup. This was my second two-transition zone race, but with a 17-mile drive between the two, and not having seen it before, the unknowns always leave you on your toes upon arrival. Got to T1 about 100 mins before the start, and with my bike already being out there (it took a shuttle the night before) set up went very smoothly. Had a banana and powerbar 60 mins before race and a power gel 15 mins before start, along with about 20 oz of water before the start. I was ready to swim about 30 mins before start, but with the forecasted temp of 100 degrees, I kept the wetsuit off as long as possible to keep the body temperature down.
Event warmup:

About 200 meters of swim followed by light stretching.
Swim
  • 39m 28s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not my best swim. The elevation of Wickiup (4500 ft) definitely took its toll on my breathing. I was able to free for the first 300 meters, but I quickly realized that I just wasn't getting into the breathing rhythm that I was becoming accustomed to. Started side stroking around the buoys and at the half-way point in between each for 5 strokes on each side. For the last half of the second lap, I had to reduce my breathing to 3-3-2 instead of every third stroke. Despite the I uncomforting feeling and mental grind, I was able finish under 40 mins, and had an even split for the two laps. My sighting went much better this race then the last race.
What would you do differently?:

Not much I could do about the altitude, short of moving to Bend! But I think I could also be smarter about how I start out this swim and perhaps get my breathing dialed in a little better.
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

Two big mistakes on T1. My tri top back pockets continue to cause me problems. Couldn't locate them until after I accidentally put my power bars in my shorts pockets. Had to remove them and locate shirt pockets in order to make room for gels in my shorts pockets. Probably cost me 30 seconds to a minute. I also got one of my shoes wedged under the pedal on the pavement when trying to mount my bike. I had to put my foot down and restart. Other than that, having to stuff my wetsuit into a transition bag added around 30 seconds or so.

Work on what I mentioned above.
Bike
  • 2h 53m 34s
  • 58 miles
  • 20.05 mile/hr
Comments:

A new PR and first time over 20 mph for a HIM ride! The first 25 miles were a gradual climb that I stayed very smooth and relaxed on and still ended up over 20 mph. From there I gained a lot of confidence that I could PR. I worked fairly hard on the climb up to the Bachelor entrance, and passed a lot of riders. I kept it very smooth and up tempo on the descent back to Sunriver, and ended up with a great ride! The most picturesque ride I've ever been a part of!

Nothing. Just a great ride.
Transition 2
  • 03m 50s
Comments:

A much longer T2 than normal. Opted to take a pee break, which no doubt helped in the long run. I was a little slow getting socks and shoes on, and accidentally threw out my remaining salt tabs when cleaning out my empties from the bike ride.

Not dump my salt tabs In a garbage!!
Run
  • 1h 43m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Another PR, and broke an 8 m/mi pace! The first 7 miles were a real grind, as the heat coupled with no aid station until 2.5 miles in really broke my spirit. I had to really dig deep to turn it around. Aid station spacing really improved after that, and I took an extra gel during the run since I lost my salt. Walking through every aid station and taking an extra drink got me perked back up by mile 9 or so. And I found a running buddy that was a newbie doing the relay, so he had a strong and energetic pace that I felt good about running with. I found a little bit extra for the last mile when I realized that I was going to break 1:45, and ended up with a great day.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching, walking, hosing off, taking in solids right away.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim performance, and I think I could still get a couple of minutes off of my run. Both transitions were about a minute slower than they should have been as well.

Event comments:

Kind of unfair eval for drink stations, because it was really just one missing drink station that really twisted me mentally. Other than that, the volunteers were great and it was well organized for WHY racing's first time running this race. Most importantly, this is one of the most beautiful settings for a race from start to finish. It really is worth doing any year!

Last updated: 2015-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:28 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/34
Overall: 136/258
Performance: Average
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: Two clockwise loops around a diamond shaped course (4 buoys.)
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:17
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:53:34 | 58 miles | 20.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/34
Overall: 57/258
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Wickiup Reservoir north around Mt Bachelor before heading back to Sunriver.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:50
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:43:39 | 13.1 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/34
Overall: 37/258
Performance: Good
Course: A counter clockwise loop around Sunriver, all on paved trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-07-05 6:37 AM

User image

New user

Longview
Subject: Pacific Crest Long Course Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Crest Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pacific Crest Long Course Triathlon

Started by joeyk
Views: 1133 Posts: 1

2011-09-09 11:58 AM joeyk

Started by JMINPNW
Views: 1542 Posts: 3

2011-06-29 1:35 PM JMINPNW

Started by TriGuyBri
Views: 1821 Posts: 4

2011-06-29 10:22 AM TriGuyBri

Started by timbergreg
Views: 1045 Posts: 1

2011-06-27 7:51 PM timbergreg

Started by cbrave
Views: 1625 Posts: 3

2011-06-30 10:23 AM cbrave
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : November 6, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 2
When the air horn went off, I did my best to simulate laps in the pool, but that dang panic came over me again, causing me to breaststroke until I could calm my breathing.