General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint bike plan vs Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-05 12:21 PM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: Sprint bike plan vs Olympic
I've been using the trainerroad Olympic tri plan for a few weeks thinking that I may do an Olympic but knowing I will do mostly sprints. Now i probably won't do an Olympic but my thinking has been I will do the Olympic bike plan and I will be that much more ready for a sprint. Now I understand that there is a difference in the two plans, but my question is, if I'm doing a sprint in 1 month, would I benefit much more from using the sprint plan instead of Olympic? Would I be faster in a sprint race if I used the sprint plan vs Olympic?

2015-07-05 1:27 PM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Sprint bike plan vs Olympic
I would think that with a month to go, your Oly plan would already have you beyond where the Sprint plan would have ended up. If it was me, I would just continue with the Oly plan and just be that much more prepared for your event.

A month to go, and you live in Nashvegas... Are you planning on hitting up the Riverbluff?
2015-07-05 1:53 PM
in reply to: #5126745

nashville, Tennessee
I'm actually doin one down in Mississippi. I guess I'll continue with the Olympic
2015-07-06 6:11 PM

User image

Yes, I'd definitely recommend switching over to the Sprint plan. The reason being is that this plan is going to provide significantly more intensity for the shorter duration of the sprint race. I'd say to jump in at the halfway point of the plan and go through the final four weeks. If you started it now, you'd essentially get 3 weeks of higher intensity training that will be much more beneficial come race day. Then, the 8th week of the plan (or the 4th week on this modified version) is a taper week that will lead you in perfectly to your event. Hope this helps and if you have any other plan-related questions, feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected]

Good luck at your event!
2015-07-06 8:48 PM
in reply to: trevorderuise

Originally posted by trevorderuise

Yes, I'd definitely recommend switching over to the Sprint plan. The reason being is that this plan is going to provide significantly more intensity for the shorter duration of the sprint race. I'd say to jump in at the halfway point of the plan and go through the final four weeks. If you started it now, you'd essentially get 3 weeks of higher intensity training that will be much more beneficial come race day. Then, the 8th week of the plan (or the 4th week on this modified version) is a taper week that will lead you in perfectly to your event. Hope this helps and if you have any other plan-related questions, feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected]

Good luck at your event!

Well, not that I'd want to disagree with the guy that works there. . . but. . . the Olympic plan is more hours and more total TSS. I don't think the trade-off of less time and less TSS for a slightly higher IF would be more beneficial. If anything, if the OP is comfortable with the current volume and TSS, I would suggest taking one of those over/unders from the sprint plan and substituting it into the Olympic plan. I mean, who wouldn't want to do more Fang Mountain I wouldn't ever suggest going down in what is already a pretty pedestrian volume number.
2015-07-07 11:09 AM

nashville, Tennessee
Thanks Trevor! Only thing is the "sprints" that I do are 16-18 mi bikes so as far as the plans go its right in between. Maybe I'll mix in some sprint workouts like ziggie suggested. Thanks for all of your help.

2015-07-08 11:15 AM

User image

Yep, great points. Keeping the volume of the Olympic plan but adding in some extra intensity work from the Sprint plan will be a good mix for these longer sprint distance races.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint bike plan vs Olympic Rss Feed