in reply to: TriMike

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: OLY Distance Variances?

Originally posted by TriMike

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by simpsonbo Its considered Olympic distance if they legs are within 10% of the 1500/40/10 formula. Quite often the bike is off a bit on lapped courses. You do know 1.5 k is 1500m right?

Yes, and I know that if 10% is the tolerance, that would only bring it down to 1,350.  You do know that 10% of 1,500 = 150 right?

But bike is within tolerance and distance is categorized by the bike when different from swim (see link I posted above).  FWIW.

The USAT site doesn't use the Sprint/OLY/HIM monikers which alleviates the issue I brought up in my initial post.

However another poster seemed to defend the use of the term OLY in the race distances I listed because it was within tolerance.  Regardless of whether the distance being advertised is based on the tolerance of the bike, I think it's misleading to cut a 1/3 of the swim out and still call it an OLY...

Heck.  They cut the whole run out and called it Olympic.  Seems misleading to me...

2015-07-08 12:11 PM
in reply to: TriMike

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by simpsonbo Its considered Olympic distance if they legs are within 10% of the 1500/40/10 formula. Quite often the bike is off a bit on lapped courses. You do know 1.5 k is 1500m right?

Yes, and I know that if 10% is the tolerance, that would only bring it down to 1,350.  You do know that 10% of 1,500 = 150 right?

But bike is within tolerance and distance is categorized by the bike when different from swim (see link I posted above).  FWIW.

The USAT site doesn't use the Sprint/OLY/HIM monikers which alleviates the issue I brought up in my initial post.

However another poster seemed to defend the use of the term OLY in the race distances I listed because it was within tolerance.  Regardless of whether the distance being advertised is based on the tolerance of the bike, I think it's misleading to cut a 1/3 of the swim out and still call it an OLY...

In the OP you were thinking of contacting the RD about this. If you still do, make sure to talk with with guy. See what the rationale was. The posts that seemed to "defend" use of the term weren't so much to do that, but maybe more to help understand what was going on and possibly redirect where you want the complaint to go. If the race is within the tolerance, then the complaint is more with those who set that tolerance though could still mention to the RD that being closer to the nominal distance is appreciated.

What I meant by confirming with the RD was whether the distance was a misprint rather than a complaint.   I now understand why it happens and going forward will pay closer attention to the breakdown of distances vs. the distance name...

I wonder how many OLY's I've done over the years where the distances varied and I had no clue..

Some years a blazing swim, other years not so much...

Oh, ok. From what I've seen, generally they are 1500 with only the very occasional 1000 in there. Typically a smaller event that seems to be just trying to get something in there. Now whether the stated 1500 is actually 1500 ...

2015-07-08 1:05 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Heck.  They cut the whole run out and called it Olympic.  Seems misleading to me...

Na....Nothing misleading about an Aquabike advertised as such... The Distances of said Aquabike is where we're at...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OLY Distance Variances? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Contant Pace vs. variance/intervals

Started by ultrahip_00
Views: 867 Posts: 5

2009-02-23 6:48 AM Scout7

LT variance between bike & run?

Started by JBrashear
Views: 1447 Posts: 9

2008-02-05 11:36 AM Steve-

leg lenght variance

Started by memphis
Views: 1245 Posts: 10

2006-03-24 12:24 PM Bug-a-Lugs

race distance brick for oly?

Started by madeye
Views: 1119 Posts: 16

2005-05-16 1:27 PM mikericci

Nutrition for Oly distance

Started by Katie
Views: 776 Posts: 3

2004-12-23 2:48 PM Katie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
comments : 0
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : May 1, 2006
author : mikericci
I'm in decent shape and have no weight to lose but have absolutely no tri experience, what’s the best plan of attack that won't put me back in the waiting room?

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?