General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Critique my new aero position? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-07-16 2:53 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

DC
Subject: RE: Critique my new aero position?
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by msteiner

At your current fit, I think you would be more aero in your drops than the bars.  You're way too high in aero bars.

What's worse is you're already using a -16 stem and are still too high.  That combined with how stretched you are up front along with the issues getting the saddle low enough makes me think you should have gone a size smaller with this bike.

agree, bike is too big

The room  Person is just small so it makes the bike look big.

fixed that for you ^

I think George Costanza's head is making the bike look small.

2015-07-16 3:00 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I'm not even looking at the bike. Whether it's too big or not is irrelevant at this point -- the position is what I'm looking at.

Toes down vs feet flat -- totally a personal thing. I've seen plenty of fast people with both. What I see is that the knee angle is very open at the bottom of the pedal stroke with the toes pointed slightly down. I assume (and maybe not correctly) that this is a natural ankle angle for the OP. In that case, the seat height from the BB is too high (fore/aft is another matter entirely and can't be really dialed until the front end is sorted out).

For a tri fit, you don't fix the seat position and then start lowering the front end. That's backwards. You get your arm position relative to your torso, then the seat height (relative to the bars) is determined by neck strength and flexibility -- how high can the seat go relative to the pads before you can't see down the road? Then the whole shebang is positioned fore/aft relative to the BB by the hip angle needed.

But once you have a bike and you're trying to fit to that, the whole process gets a wrench thrown into the works and you're working from compromises.

2015-07-16 3:08 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Pro

The other thing you could do is get a really good road fit and learn to ride faster/better, then think about a tri bike down the road.  Road bikes are not tri bikes and I don't understand why people try to make them into something they inherently are not. 

As someone who has only just done their first triathlon I think you're actually putting the cart way before the horse.

2015-07-16 3:42 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

DC

Road bikes are not tri bikes...

Bamm! Two totally different beasts.
2015-07-16 3:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

The other thing you could do is get a really good road fit and learn to ride faster/better, then think about a tri bike down the road.  Road bikes are not tri bikes and I don't understand why people try to make them into something they inherently are not. 

As someone who has only just done their first triathlon I think you're actually putting the cart way before the horse.

The ITU guys do triathlons on road bikes #JustSayin 

2015-07-16 4:19 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by msteiner

The ITU guys do triathlons on road bikes #JustSayin 

Yes.....but they don't set their road bikes up to be tri bikes, or try to get into a similar position as a tri bike.  All this talk about moving around the BB and blah,blah,blah regarding getting into an aero position on a road bike is just a bunch of bunk for a road bike.  Get a good road bike fit, learn to ride your road bike, train to ride fast, then worry about a tri bike and aero position.

2015-07-16 4:48 PM
in reply to: zeoalex

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
IIWY:

Seat down (way down) - it is way too high.

Toss the aerobars and get a good road fit. You should be comfortable in the hoods (forever) in the drops (for about an hour of hard riding - probably need to build to that point) and sitting up on the tops. Then if you want, a set of shorty aerobars as an additional position.

For a good road position on the hoods, you'll want to be able to ride with your forearms close to parallel which likely means your bars need to be rotated as they look to be rotated so that you'd have to brace against the hoods (just a guess but seems likely).

Shane
2015-07-17 1:04 AM
in reply to: zeoalex

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Yup, seat's too high. An inch or inch and a half lower would look more ideal. Aero position on a roadie eh? I also recommend putting them away and getting a good road bike fit. Then get stronger with that dialed in. You can spend alota time with adjusting this stuff on your own which can be a waste of time vs getting a good fit and getting some good quality rides in. IMO, biking is 90% rider, 10% bike no matter how aero you are.
2015-07-17 8:00 PM

User image

Durham, North Carolina

For a while I had a road bike w/ aero bars on it and I LOVED it! Once I got into it enough and proved to my wife that it wouldn't be a complete waste of money she let me sell my roadie to get a tri bike. Make the best out of what you have, and I believe putting aerobars on your bike is it. I did get professionally fit though which helped a ton. I noticed a much larger speed increase going from road (poorly fit though) to road w/ aero bars than I did when I got my actual tri bike
2015-07-18 8:19 PM
in reply to: Lupy

Originally posted by Lupy

Are your arms too extended? I heard your elbows should be @ a 90 degree angle.

As for the seat height. I had one shop tell me that my toe should be pointing down to help initiate the pull and another tell me what everyone else is saying. I'm not sure which is right, but I think what everyone else is saying is more common. I still think toe pointing down is more comfortable for me, but I've never compared to see which one offers more power.

I too find myself more comfortable and can go faster with the toe point
2015-07-18 11:12 PM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Dutchcrush
Originally posted by Lupy Are your arms too extended? I heard your elbows should be @ a 90 degree angle. As for the seat height. I had one shop tell me that my toe should be pointing down to help initiate the pull and another tell me what everyone else is saying. I'm not sure which is right, but I think what everyone else is saying is more common. I still think toe pointing down is more comfortable for me, but I've never compared to see which one offers more power.

If you are more comfortable with the toe point, it is likely because your position doesn't allow you to be comfortable without the toe point.  Unless your name is Jacques Anquetil I would recommend not pointing your toes while you pedal.

Yes a little bit of 'ankling' might give you a bit of power from 6-9 o'clock, but the VAST majority of your power should be from 12-6 o'clock and it probably isn't worth the effort, especially knowing we have to run off the bike.  Ankling can be a bit hard on your calves.

2015-07-19 6:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Dutchcrush
Originally posted by Lupy Are your arms too extended? I heard your elbows should be @ a 90 degree angle. As for the seat height. I had one shop tell me that my toe should be pointing down to help initiate the pull and another tell me what everyone else is saying. I'm not sure which is right, but I think what everyone else is saying is more common. I still think toe pointing down is more comfortable for me, but I've never compared to see which one offers more power.

If you are more comfortable with the toe point, it is likely because your position doesn't allow you to be comfortable without the toe point.  Unless your name is Jacques Anquetil I would recommend not pointing your toes while you pedal.

Yes a little bit of 'ankling' might give you a bit of power from 6-9 o'clock, but the VAST majority of your power should be from 12-6 o'clock and it probably isn't worth the effort, especially knowing we have to run off the bike.  Ankling can be a bit hard on your calves.

I am not sure what your defintion of "angling" is. There is a perfectly acceptable, some would say desirable angle between the toe and ankle and it varies through the pedal stroke. Do you disagree ?

Edited by marcag 2015-07-19 6:58 AM
2015-07-19 8:30 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

ankling, not angling.

its a term used to describe pointing your toes near the bottom of your pedal stroke in an effort to "scrape the mud" off of the bottom of your shoe. 

2015-07-19 10:00 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Extreme Veteran

ankling, not angling.

its a term used to describe pointing your toes near the bottom of your pedal stroke in an effort to "scrape the mud" off of the bottom of your shoe. 

ok, thanks. I got distracted with the talk of pointing toes and then we brought in "ankling'.

As soon as some people see a bit of an angle at the bottom of the pedal stroke they claim "seat's too high", which isn't necessarily true.

I would guess that the OPs seat is too high as everyone has stated. But I am also guessing that picture of his foot at bottom of pedal stroke is a static picture and not necessarily how he pedals.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Critique my new aero position? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Critique my aero position

Started by alex_korr
Views: 2154 Posts: 20

2012-02-14 8:09 PM lucerolite

Critique My Aero Position (video)

Started by xatefrogg
Views: 1288 Posts: 20

2012-02-03 7:59 PM Bripod

Another Aero-position Critique?

Started by monkeyboy64
Views: 618 Posts: 1

2011-04-22 4:29 AM monkeyboy64

Amateur Looking for Aero Position Critique Pages: 1 2

Started by misha1809
Views: 2840 Posts: 39

2010-09-23 4:08 AM Dave Luscan

Please Critique my Aero position - I need advice

Started by hubcitytriguy
Views: 1512 Posts: 16

2008-06-28 6:47 PM 1stTimeTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 10, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I am racing in the Florida Ironman. My question is this: which position is going to be better for me to ride in, the aero position or the traditional road position?

date : April 20, 2009
author : FitWerx
I went in for a fitting because I had been having chronic stabbing pain in my shoulder/neck whenever I ride for more than 30 minutes. I'm planning a half Ironman this summer, any help for this?
date : September 9, 2008
What is your opinion on cleat position? Is there a general rule that you follow when you first fit an athlete?

date : September 9, 2008
Many things will influence your triathlon bike position, but if you are forced to set your position up on your own, there are several overall guidelines that should help.
date : January 14, 2008
author : AMSSM
At the age of 44, I am experiencing extreme pain in my hip. I have been trying simple stretching and have found no relief.

date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.
date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.