General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why is my bike doing this? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-09 2:44 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Subject: Why is my bike doing this?

Just had my bike spring cleaned and one of the updates was a new chain.

I now experience an annoying skipping/chunking/jumping some times. It only happens when on the small cog on the front and also when I am applying some pressure (climbing or getting going from standstill).

For info I have a 34/50 on the front and 10 speed 11-28 on the back. Shimano Sora shifters.

My only lead has been that the new chain has a tight link. But I have run the chain backwards and not seen any of the links sitting up on the cogs.

It driving me mental. Ideas?

2015-07-09 2:57 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Why is my bike doing this?
Possibly your barrel adjuster is off. Try that first.
2015-07-09 4:36 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

Master
, California

Are the teeth on your cassette worn?  If the old chain was stretched and you were using the same cassette with it for a long time, you may need to replace it.

2015-07-09 4:41 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have a bad habit of pushing too high of gears and not changing my chain often enough. As a result, when I change my chain, I end up having to change the entire drive train. It can be expensive.
2015-07-10 7:56 AM
in reply to: NeilsWheel

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Does it skip in the same position every time? Or just make random skipping noise?
If it's in the same position, you are probably right that there might be a tight link. Easy fix, though it can be tricky to find it sometimes. Put the chain in the smallest gear in the back so it's making the most dramatic bends, and run it backwards VERY slowly. Listen for any little variation of the standard noise. If you can isolate the area, then sort of force the chain sideways in both directions (sideways being the direction that the chain is not meant to move) to stretch it out. Work it out in several links. Rinse and repeat as needed.
If the noise is more random, you are probably looking at a deraileur adjustment. Again, not a big deal but it's pretty easy to get it all out of whack if you don't know the drill. I'd take it back to the shop and have them take a look at it.
I don't put much faith in the whole "change your cassette when you change your chain" mentality. I'm a former collegiate racer and CAT3 USCF racer. That's not meant to boast in any way, I only say it because it equates to a LOT of miles on my bikes when I was younger. I lived in the SouthWest so there really was no off season. 12,000 miles a year was not uncommon at all. That said, I've never changed a cassette in my life unless it is to change gearing for a hill climb or the like. Of course bike shops will tell you to do so but they have a vested interest in you doing so. A $20 chain, or a $200 rear end drive train? Sure, that makes sense to them. I've also worked at many bike shops in my lifetime, as a mechanic, and I honestly feel it's a bunch of bunk. Now, I've got no desire to stir up any kind of controversy. If replacing the whole back end works for folks, go for it. But I would seriously doubt that it's the source of your noise.
2015-07-10 8:24 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Originally posted by spudone

Are the teeth on your cassette worn?  If the old chain was stretched and you were using the same cassette with it for a long time, you may need to replace it.

This is it. I played around last night and it looks like the new chain does not like the 4th ring of my rear cassette. So for a while I will be avoiding that one gear! I have zero cash for a replacement right now.

2015-07-10 9:15 AM

, Wisconsin
Check the classifieds here and the bike forums for slightly used cassettes. I picked up a like new Ultegra cassette with the gears I wanted off a forum classified for a fraction of the price of online new pricing . . .
2015-07-10 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by badmo77a

Originally posted by spudone

This is it. I played around last night and it looks like the new chain does not like the 4th ring of my rear cassette. So for a while I will be avoiding that one gear! I have zero cash for a replacement right now.

That sounds like barrel adjustment would solve your issue.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why is my bike doing this? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Why am I faster on my tri bike? Pages: 1 2

Started by Porfirio
Views: 2229 Posts: 26

2014-09-06 8:26 AM Porfirio

Disscusion: Why or Why not a Tri/Road bike Pages: 1 2

Started by LPJmom
Views: 4211 Posts: 36

2012-11-16 4:37 PM metafizx

Why am I so slow on the bike? Pages: 1 2

Started by surfwallace
Views: 3657 Posts: 38

2013-08-06 7:22 PM adelsud

Why am I so slow on the bike?

Started by lablover
Views: 2081 Posts: 24

2005-04-05 8:41 PM runnergirl29

why am i ashamed - help pls

Started by sanjana
Views: 1519 Posts: 23

2005-04-01 2:13 AM sanjana
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"