General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Listen to your body" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-10 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: "Listen to your body"
I hear this all the time from people tell others what to do, but rarely is a step of action described after the comment of "listen to your body" except rest or take in nutrition.

What are some of the times that you have described symptoms, problems, etc when people have told you to "listen to your body" what action were you told to do besides "listen to your body".

2015-07-10 11:23 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: "Listen to your body"

It's too often a pointless phrase.  If you do "listen do your body", do you understand what your body is saying?  And then as you say Ben, what next?

After several seasons, I know what my body is more or less saying and what it will take to fix it.  Side stiches, heel pain, ankle stiffness, bonking, stiff shoulders, etc. But a lot of people don't.  I've also visited physical therapists enough (and read enough) to have a reasonable layman's grasp of the common problems.

Just the other day I was riding with a fairly newbie rider on a 90+ degree day and he was saying how thirsty he was, he just needed more and more bottles.  I told him "you're probably not really that thirsty, you're probably just hot.  Pour that water bottle over yourself instead of drinking it, and you'll feel much better."  And bingo, that was it. 

A few weeks ago I did a sprint triathlon and saw one of my triathlon friends. He was talking about having some low back pain, and after some discussion my guess was weak back muscles, not a pull or a strain.  This is what he mailed me:

"Hey Bruce you nailed it. Have a pinched nerve between L4 & L5 due to weak back muscles. The exercises that you showed me are what the PT person is making me do, and it's working!!! Thanks for the clues!"

2015-07-10 12:29 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I recently turned 62 and over the past few months have noticed an increase in my need for recovery time between hard workouts.  Symptoms have been general fatigue and increasing muscle cramps and soreness, particularly with my legs.   

A contributing factor is that I've recently ramped up my swimming program with more  kicking and drill work which tends to be more tiring.   

I started to feel that my fatigue was becoming cumulative and I needed to make some change in my training program.

Short term I've cut out one run/week to rest my legs a bit more.  That puts me at three runs. three swims, two rides and one gym session per week.   

I'm also starting to take a serious look at my long-term goals and objectives.  I'd like to find a balance that where I can still enjoy training and competing without running myself into the ground doing so.

Mark

2015-07-10 3:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I race in the same age group as redcorvette so my body talks to me a lot. Generally it's about poor form. If I am on a rower and I get too lazy I get a pain in my right (aka surgically repaired) knee. It reminds me to pay attention. Similarly when I get sloppy with my running and fall back to a heel strike. My body definitely talks to me then.

I too know when I need to back off for a day or get a little more rest.

The easiest answer is, your body is telling you that you are doing something it doesn't like. If you trained hard and are a little sore, that should go away in short order. If you are still having pain several days later, then maybe your body is saying you need to get some help.

Not sure if that is any help at all but kinda the way I look at it.

2015-07-10 3:13 PM

It's good advice, but beginners need to take it with a huge grain of salt.

I've seen way too many new/budding endurance athletes shut down their training right when they are on the verge of significant breakthrough improvements because things are sore, they're too tired, etc. 

Athletes need to learn the difference in feeling between tendon strains, muscle strains, fatigue, and then know what to do next.

For example, tendon strains are serious, and you should NOT train through them - you have to ease up, often for quite while, usually weeks-months. Muscle strains come and go much faster, usually days. Fatigue also is usually a sign you're doing something right in your 'build' phase - if you don't feel really fatigued at some point in the endurance-base building phase of training, you're not pushing the boundaries of your endurance.  Similarly, if you're feeling totally recovered during most of your training, you're probably not improving much at all. 

2015-07-11 5:22 AM

User image

I developed chronic AT and when going to physical therapy for it worked with a therapist and running coach at the same place. When describing my training plus recent injuries to them I was told to "listen to my body" and needed to schedule rest days. I was also told I needed to learn to destinguish between pain and just being tired of sore. It may be because it's how I typically hurt myself but I mostly hear it in relation to running. Besides rest days I was told to dial back the intensity of some runs. They all don't have to be a PR.

2015-07-11 9:27 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

, Tennessee
Pain that forces you to change your running form, cycling, or swim stroke to compensate means STOP. I have made that mistake more than once and paid for it.
2015-07-11 9:48 AM
in reply to: #5127972

User image

Extreme Veteran
One thing I like to think about is - is it still fun? (Because your brain is part of your body too).

Not every day or every workout. The sum though. I'm an adult doing this as a hobby. There are a ton of active hobbies I can do that will meet my healthy lifestyle goals.

This is why I switched to Xterras. For me mountain biking is fun and I just don't like road biking. I get similar fitness benefits, but come home smiling excited to do it another day.

I have a 2-3 hour bike today. I would be dreading it as a road bike- but am really looking forward to it instead.
2015-07-11 11:49 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Truthfully I've always hated the expression. Because in my own experience, overuse injuries often seem to come with no real warning signs.

For recovery it does seem to help a lot though.
2015-07-11 8:31 PM
in reply to: #5128085

I'm a listen to your body kind of gal, after years of listening and overruling what my body had to say. I think the phrase can help beginners (or overly aggressive veterans) plant the seed of paying attention to the details. Many injuries aren't spontaneous, so if you can pinpoint and analyze pain or discomfort you will likely avoid the minor yet irritating injuries.
2015-07-12 8:49 AM
in reply to: Spartypants

User image

Brooklyn, New York
I think Bruce nailed when he said, "yeah, but do yo know what it's saying, and what to do about it?"
It's a VERY useful concept and approach ONLY with the wisdom, insight, and self-critical TRUTH to understand what is being said. There is nothing like bio feedback. I think you need experience, a great deal of understanding of the human body, some outside of the box thinking, hollistic approach as well, and the ability to not lie to yourself to really interpret what's being said.

For YEARSSS I spent time as a trainer discussing methods with people to which I'd ask: "K...is that working for you?" or "Ok, what happened, how'd you get here?" Manyyyyyy a response was: "I don't know." OY!

The listen to your body approach is great for all things really; progress, injury prevention, sickness prevention, race prep, mental prep vs. fatgiue etc etc

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Listen to your body" Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Injury prevention; Listening to the body, how do I know?

Started by keqwow
Views: 1794 Posts: 10

2013-07-18 6:21 PM jdl2012

Listening to your body...

Started by timf79
Views: 738 Posts: 2

2012-07-05 2:05 PM bedientes

When you decide to take it easy for a few days (listening to your body/mind)

Started by crmorton
Views: 823 Posts: 4

2012-06-13 9:29 AM wgraves7582

Listening to my body....IT band

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 2722 Posts: 15

2010-09-07 6:19 PM Health_Doc

What are you listening to? Pages: 1 2

Started by montyb
Views: 2382 Posts: 35

2012-07-31 6:19 AM audiojan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 0
Video on what body marking is all about during check-in.
date : October 31, 2004
author : ewkfit
comments : 1
I may not have pre-pubescent hips or breasts and at 36 that would be ridiculous. I do not need to have an "airbrushed body" and why do I revere that?

date : October 10, 2004
author : FIN16
comments : 1
The human body can endure extreme physical hardships but a trained, confident mind can endure much more.